Might have picked a fake Southard, help please..

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
dlrflyer

Might have picked a fake Southard, help please..

Post by dlrflyer »

I very recently picked up a used Southard Flipper. Was there ever a version of the Southard with digi camo scales? I admit to not being very knowledgeable about Southards. The seller was a pawnshop and actually listed it as a Military. It’s in pretty decent shape for used, but pivot needs adjusted, and frankly could use a cleaning and lube. From what I can tell, the markings look legit, seems like actual Taichung mfg. It possibly has an aftermarket scale if it were never offered as this way, although I’m unaware of much aftermarket support for the Southard. Help?!? I’ll try to figure out how to attach photos.
TazKristi

Re: Might have picked a fake Southard, help please..

Post by TazKristi »

dlrflyer wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:41 pm
I very recently picked up a used Southard Flipper. Was there ever a version of the Southard with digi camo scales? I admit to not being very knowledgeable about Southards. The seller was a pawnshop and actually listed it as a Military. It’s in pretty decent shape for used, but pivot needs adjusted, and frankly could use a cleaning and lube. From what I can tell, the markings look legit, seems like actual Taichung mfg. It possibly has an aftermarket scale if it were never offered as this way, although I’m unaware of much aftermarket support for the Southard. Help?!? I’ll try to figure out how to attach photos.
Hi, dlrflyer:
Welcome to our forum. I'm sorry to say that we have never produced a Southard with digicam scales. There are known counterfeits with that configuration though. Pictures can be uploaded as attachments to your post. If you look below the window that you type in - in the Full Editor, not quick reply - you'll see a tab for Attachments. Click on that and follow the directions to upload an image. Images do need to be smaller than 1 MB. Perhaps images will help us determine if you purchased a counterfeit. You can also send your knife into our Warranty & Repair department for evaluation - that's the only way we can definitively say if it's counterfeit or authentic. You'll find all the information that you need regarding that process here, https://www.spyderco.com/counterfeit-statement/.

Regardless of how this turns out, we hope you enjoy your time with us on the forum. There is a wealth of information and we're very fortunate to have a great community.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
dlrflyer

Post by dlrflyer »

Thanks much. Fortunately the seller is taking it back for full refund.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Here is another way of uploading images (one where you won´t have to resize those), explained by Vivi:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83968&p=1332284#p1332284
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Signalman1

Post by Signalman1 »

I got a fake one and the fastest way to tell is use a magnet and check if it sticks to the frame side of the knife. I got my money back and it's a heavier than the real knife is....I finally got a real one and its heaven compared to the fake one I got on line and it flips like a dream. Mine had the camo scales on it too rather than black or the brown scales that the real ones come with. Look at the belt clip does it look like someone tried to fill the tip down. That is mine. Just wondering if you got the one I had. ?

Signalman :mad: :) :D
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Signalman1 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:25 pm
I got a fake one and the fastest way to tell is use a magnet and check if it sticks to the frame side of the knife. I got my money back and it's a heavier than the real knife is....I finally got a real one and its heaven compared to the fake one I got on line and it flips like a dream. Mine had the camo scales on it too rather than black or the brown scales that the real ones come with. Look at the belt clip does it look like someone tried to fill the tip down. That is mine. Just wondering if you got the one I had. ?

Signalman :mad: :) :D
I remember you checked yours with a magnet and the frame was steel instead of Titanium. There was several other differences too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!