Is this a fake?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
CranstonSnord

Is this a fake?

Post by CranstonSnord »

I have a feeling it is since I got it at a flea market. It was only $25.00, so at the time I bought it, I thought this is either the deal of a lifetime, or if not, I only spent $25.00!! Not that it matters, but it has been a very good knife and it is very well made! Thanks!!

attila

Re: Is this a fake?

Post by attila »

Yes, it's a fake.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Several things.

The clip is wrong. The way this is bent is in no way how spyderco makes theirs.

The edge profile is wrong. The actual PM2 has way more belly than I'm seeing here. This edge has a prob that looks straight.

But the biggest thing is that this knife is a liner lock.
Spyderco has never made a paramilitary 2 with a longer lock. They've only used compression locks for that model
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Hah omg that made me smile, but anyway... No such Spyderco lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
SG89

Post by SG89 »

If you think that hunk of crap is "very well made" you ought to try a legitimate spyderco knife. That way you aren't supporting thieves and you can see for yourself what "very well made" actually means.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

CranstonSnord wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:42 pm
Not that it matters, but it has been a very good knife and it is very well made!
Welcome to the forum.

Yes it’s a fake.

Yes it matters.

No that is not a very good knife.

No it is not well made.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
CranstonSnord

Post by CranstonSnord »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:27 pm
If you think that hunk of crap is "very well made" you ought to try a legitimate spyderco knife. That way you aren't supporting thieves and you can see for yourself what "very well made" actually means.

I own two Spyderco knives, a Mannix and a Tenacious. I had a good idea when I bought it that it was a fake, so do not preach to me what I know and do not know about knives. As far as it being well made, it is well made for a $25.00 Chinese made knife, not comparable to a $150.00 PM2. I posted the question since this a Spyderco forum and just wanted an answer and I got one. No need to be rude.
CranstonSnord

Post by CranstonSnord »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:33 pm
CranstonSnord wrote:
Not that it matters, but it has been a very good knife and it is very well made!
Welcome to the forum.

Yes it’s a fake.

Yes it matters.

No it is not well made.
Thank you for your response, but no need to get defensive. I only own two Spyderco knives and you all know a lot more about them then myself, so I posted this question.
CranstonSnord

Post by CranstonSnord »

Marulaghost wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:58 pm
Several things.

The edge profile is wrong. The actual PM2 has way more belly than I'm seeing here. This edge has a prob that looks straight.

Spyderco has never made a paramilitary 2 with a longer lock. They've only used compression locks for that model
Thank you! That is all great information. I am fairly new to Spyderco's and did not realize that model did not use a liner lock.
attila

Post by attila »

CranstonSnord wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:48 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:

I own two Spyderco knives, a Mannix and a Tenacious. I had a good idea when I bought it that it was a fake, so do not preach to me what I know and do not know about knives. As far as it being well made, it is well made for a $25.00 Chinese made knife, not comparable to a $150.00 PM2. I posted the question since this a Spyderco forum and just wanted an answer and I got one. No need to be rude.
FYI, Manix only has 1 "n"

If the fake Spyderco makes you happy, good for you (this is not sarcasm). I do, however, recommend trying a real Paramilitary 2 and noting the differences (quality and functional) between that and the fake one.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
CranstonSnord

Post by CranstonSnord »

attila wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:13 pm
CranstonSnord wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:

FYI, Manix only has 1 "n"

If the fake Spyderco makes you happy, good for you (this is not sarcasm). I do, however, recommend trying a real Paramilitary 2 and noting the differences (quality and functional) between that and the fake one.

Thanks! I would be happier if my $25.00 knife was a real Spyderco, but know more now than I did an hour ago! I like the size and feel of the Manix, and will look for a good deal on a PM2. I cannot afford a new one now, so will look into buying a used one off Ebay. Will probably post here if I find one and have any questions about its authenticity!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

CranstonSnord wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:50 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:33 pm
CranstonSnord wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

Yes it’s a fake.

Yes it matters.

No it is not well made.
Thank you for your response, but no need to get defensive. I only own two Spyderco knives and you all know a lot more about them then myself, so I posted this question.
Obviously there are a lot of super spyderco fans here that are very defensive of our beloved spydies. :p Unfortunately spyderco fakes are a huge problem, and many of them trick people into paying way more than $25, so there's good reason to get mad about them. But not to get mad at you! Just a sensitive subject, but you are right to ask about it here, and to look for help learning to tell the differences.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

CranstonSnord wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:

It's rude to go on the Spyderco forum and brag about how a counterfeit Spyderco is well made. It's insulting.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Hello CranstonSnord, hope you are well. My humble 2 Cents worth: Please don't let the non-empathetic statements of some get to you. You gambled and this time you lost. It happens to everyone, and it's what is called gaining experience. All that really matters is if you are happy with the knife. If it would have been a legitimate product you would have made a sweet deal. Please continue to take an active role in this forum. All serious questions and inputs are appreciated! :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yeah I don't think there's any cause for anyone to get salty, he didn't know and he came here looking for input and we gave it to him. Honestly the testiness is a bit overboard. It makes me QUITE sad...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
CranstonSnord

Post by CranstonSnord »

No worries everybody. I also feel that way about fakes. Really, if I had known 100% that the knife I bought was a fake, I would never have purchased it. I gambled and lost. All of you have taught me a lot and maybe it will help me to keep from making the same mistake twice.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

CranstonSnord wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:26 pm
No worries everybody. I also feel that way about fakes. Really, if I had known 100% that the knife I bought was a fake, I would never have purchased it. I gambled and lost. All of you have taught me a lot and maybe it will help me to keep from making the same mistake twice.
And looks like you did score on a used Manix, so you can definitely be happy about that!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

CranstonSnord wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:26 pm
A life long learner.

Impressive....

If you do make the same mistake twice, please report back here and let us know, so we can taught you some mores. :rolleyes:
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

CranstonSnord wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:33 pm
I cannot afford a new one now, so will look into buying a used one off Ebay. Will probably post here if I find one and have any questions about its authenticity!
There is a high probability of getting a fake on ebay too so be careful there.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

CranstonSnord wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:57 pm
Marulaghost wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:58 pm
Several things.

Thank you! That is all great information. I am fairly new to Spyderco's and did not realize that model did not use a liner lock.
No prob cranston. I'm just glad to help.
Maybe save up for a proper PM2 and tell us how they compare?
At this point I'd just be curious