SALT knives counterfeits?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Wartstein

SALT knives counterfeits?

Post by Wartstein »

Just a random question (I don´t have any Salt knives, but plan on getting a Pacific Salt SE):

Are there known more than maybe just a few counterfeits of SALT knives, especially serrated ones?

Other than with most other steels, it should be pretty easy to tell if an H1 knife is fake, right? Just by testing the H1 itself: Keep it in a very corrosion prodcucing liquid over night and see... IF the knife rusts, of course it is not "new" anymore at all, but still one can return it no doubt, cause, well, it must be a fake then, right? If it does NOT rust, well, it is legit.

Is this thought process too simple or am I right?

Second point: Are there many counterfeits of serrated knives in general? I never heard of such, personally...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
u.w.

Re: SALT knives counterfeits?

Post by u.w. »

Hi Wartstein,

I've seen a few YT videos of fake salt knives. I wanna say it was the dragonfly models that were in the video(s). So there's a chance that there are indeed fake other kinds of salts as well.
As to a quick (overnight) rust test. I think it would depend on the steel used in the fake. No? Like some 300 series steels might not rust a bit, etc...

u.w.
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

What's the point of fake knife that cannot do ANYTHING compared to the Salt that can do EVERYTHING?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

u.w. wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:15 pm
Hi Wartstein,

I've seen a few YT videos of fake salt knives. I wanna say it was the dragonfly models that were in the video(s). So there's a chance that there are indeed fake other kinds of salts as well.
As to a quick (overnight) rust test. I think it would depend on the steel used in the fake. No? Like some 300 series steels might not rust a bit, etc...

u.w.

Thanks!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)