Is this a fake please help

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
jimstyx586

Is this a fake please help

Post by jimstyx586 »

Just bought this little pm2 on knife swap on reddit from a reputable seller and I'm just over cautious. Reddit says it's real. What say you? http://imgur.com/a/kpE4Gmw
BornIn1500

Re: Is this a fake please help

Post by BornIn1500 »

I think if people are overly cautious and worried about fakes, they'd save so much anxiety by just buying from an authorized Spyderco dealer. Hard to tell if yours is a fake from the pics.

https://www.spyderco.com/resources/dealer-locator/
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

Looks just like mine, which did come from an authorized dealer, as far as I can tell from your pics. Spine shots of the jimping and the compression lock would be helpful.

I agree that places like Reddit and social media subgroups are very risky for buying knives. There are several knife boards that allow buying and selling and that do a better job of policing their offerings than the aforementioned places do.
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

jimstyx586 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:03 pm
Just bought this little pm2 on knife swap on reddit from a reputable seller and I'm just over cautious. Reddit says it's real. What say you? http://imgur.com/a/kpE4Gmw
Looks legit to me.

Scratch and sniff on the side of the scales. Real G10 will smell slightly like the inside of a brand new computer, or a brand new laptop you're powering on for the first time.

Knock-offs don't use real G10 (or they didn't use to, unsure about nowadays).
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

bagsnatcher wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:45 pm
Counterfeits are definitely using real G10 these days. It's part of the reason it's such a shame to see them take the counterfeit path. They could have some decent folders if they used original designs.
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:38 pm
bagsnatcher wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:45 pm
Counterfeits are definitely using real G10 these days. It's part of the reason it's such a shame to see them take the counterfeit path. They could have some decent folders if they used original designs.
You know, there is an anecdote out there about the knockoffs being as good or better than the original product (I think it was purses, and/or high-end leather goods). To your point: if you have the technological means to knock off a design at such high level, why not come out with an original design? Could actually be pretty good.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Looks authentic, but check the liners for 2 offset notches. I haven't seen a counterfeit yet that had the notches.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
kreisler

Post by kreisler »

the hardware looks a bit off, should be different torx sizes, but .. that's no guaranteed indication. the rest most definitely looks legit, e.g. the jimping, the edge grind, the rounded cutout at the lock, etc.
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

That's a legit PM2
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:08 pm
I think if people are overly cautious and worried about fakes, they'd save so much anxiety by just buying from an authorized Spyderco dealer. Hard to tell if yours is a fake from the pics.

https://www.spyderco.com/resources/dealer-locator/
That's the thing, it was bought second hand from knife swap. Sometimes it's just hard to pass up a good deal on a used knife. I don't see any cause for concern from the OP though.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

If that's fake then they've really got their sharpening on point. Looks like golden did it to me!
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
sv4

Post by sv4 »

Looks legit from the pics. But do check for the small notches in the recessed steel liners, see if you can post some pics there.
ferider

Post by ferider »

This is the real thing. You can tell from the screws, among others.