Hand etching on Delica 4 zdp-189?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
JuPaul

Hand etching on Delica 4 zdp-189?

Post by JuPaul »

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased a delica 4 in zdp-189 from Amazon, and the "Seki City" lettering on the blade appeared hand-etched (or poorly stamped). The lettering was uneven and slightly misaligned, some letters appeared a tad crooked. None of my other Delicas has this issue. According to the YouTube vids I watched on fake delicas, everything else on this knife appeared legit. However, I returned it and purchased another one from BladeHQ to be safe. Lo and behold, the new knife has the same issue! So what's the deal? Are all the zdp Delicas like this, or is this a recent production line thing?

In the pic, left to right: my delica hap40 wharncliffe, the delica zdp, and my delica vtoku.
Attachments
20190627_085946_compress13.jpg
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
racuda00

Re: Hand etching on Delica 4 zdp-189?

Post by racuda00 »

The Police I received today has the same Seki_City lettering as your ZDP. If you take a closeup picture it is even more obvious. The "I" in SEKI is leaning and the "Y" in CITY is smaller than the other letters. Up close "SEKI CITY" look like it was engraved free-hand. The straight lines look good and the rounded letters look like squiggly lines.
Attachments
IMG_9209.jpg
racuda00

Post by racuda00 »

I believe it is an anti-counterfeiting measure. Since it is hand done it would be impossible to reproduce. After all a knockoff could easily use the same font as the older models.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

My Fradon Lock Delica and VG10 Dragonfly both look like that as well.
Both are legit and were bought from authorized dealers.