Help with an odd native 5?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Barearsed

Help with an odd native 5?

Post by Barearsed »

Hi fellas,
I have a native 5 g10 I picked up a couple of years ago & it has replaced my 30 year old trapper as my everyday pocketknife. It does what I need it to do, stays sharp & hopefully will serve me for many years. However, there’s something odd about the makings on the knife that make me suspect it isn’t genuine. The left side of the blade looks just like the photos I’ve seen others post, but the right side doesn’t. There’s too many upper case letters “ GOlden, COlOrado U.S.A. Earth”. Hopefully someone here can help me out with a bit more info.
Thanks in advance,
Barry
FF5BFB11-34F5-40C0-B44B-AD840AF34A5E.jpeg
photo 1
The attachment FF5BFB11-34F5-40C0-B44B-AD840AF34A5E.jpeg is no longer available
photo 2
Sharp Guy

Re: Help with an odd native 5?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum!

I happen to have same knife sitting next to me at the moment. The lettering on yours is definitely different than what's on mine. I noticed the placement of the Spyderco logo on your clip is lower than what's on mine too. Something's not right here.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
embry386

Re: Help with an odd native 5?

Post by embry386 »

That is unfortunately a fake Native 5. The same lettering with the weird capitals that you have has been reported a few other times here, if you search the old threads you may find one of the ones I'm thinking of. Sorry about your knife, the counterfeiters are getting pretty good at making fakes that look similar to the genuine ones :(