Found a pile of fakes on EBay

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Daveho

Found a pile of fakes on EBay

Post by Daveho »

While doing the rounds I came across a seller with fake Dflys, natives and a few others.
I spent about half an hour going through and reporting the fakes but don’t you get curious And want to see how good they are?
I couldn’t bring myself to put money down for one of cause but you have to wonder...
polyhexamethyl

Re: Found a pile of fakes on EBay

Post by polyhexamethyl »

i got a fake dragonfly2 years ago by accident!
i bought it as a real one and payed full price!
it was terrible! it wasn’t even worth $5,-
real bad, let me tell you!
we ground the whole thing down to dust on an industrial grinder!
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Dave.

sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:51 pm
Thanx Dave.

sal
You are most welcome Sal.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

polyhexamethyl wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:42 pm
i got a fake dragonfly2 years ago by accident!
i bought it as a real one and payed full price!
it was terrible! it wasn’t even worth $5,-
real bad, let me tell you!
we ground the whole thing down to dust on an industrial grinder!
Haha nice! I’ve seen picures of fake Dflys where they look like friction folders.. just a big chunk of plastic in the back.. really odd.
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

that photo is just bizarre.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Daveho

Post by Daveho »

It’s just a bit special huh..
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Daveho wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:26 pm
....but don’t you get curious And want to see how good they are?
A few years ago a well-meaning friend sent me a counterfeit PM2. It was before I knew any better and from the pics he sent me I was excited to be getting a Spyderco. Man was I disappointed! It certainly looked similar to a PM2 but it didn't feel like quality at all. I knew right away it had to be fake and put in a drawer in my garage. A little research on YouTube confirmed my suspicions. Soon after I started shopping for a real Spyderco and bought a Dragonfly and Persistence. The difference in quality was obvious. The first time I held a real PM2 I actually laughed about how much better it was than the fake POS.

So next time you get curious take my word, it's not worth wasting your time or your money.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Oh I haven’t bought one, I can’t bring myself to support that sort of thing. That said it’s a cheaper way to get a new clip than returning it to Golden, no joke, to get one of these from China is cheaper than minimum parcel post here.. * sigh *
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Daveho wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:45 pm
Oh I haven’t bought one, I can’t bring myself to support that sort of thing. That said it’s a cheaper way to get a new clip than returning it to Golden, no joke, to get one of these from China is cheaper than minimum parcel post here.. * sigh *
I didn't think you were going to buy one. I just wanted to put your curiosity to rest.

And don't think the clip is as good as the one that comes with a real Spyderco. It's not! The edges were rough/sharp and the logo's in the wrong spot. If you need a clip I'll send you one. Regardless of where you're at.

EDIT: BTW, you don't need to send your knife to Spyderco to get a clip. Just order one from the SFO. Even so, my offer still stands.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:12 pm
Daveho wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:45 pm
I didn't think you were going to buy one. I just wanted to put your curiosity to rest.

And don't think the clip is as good as the one that comes with a real Spyderco. It's not! The edges were rough/sharp and the logo's in the wrong spot. If you need a clip I'll send you one. Regardless of where you're at.

EDIT: BTW, you don't need to send your knife to Spyderco to get a clip. Just order one from the SFO. Even so, my offer still stands.
That’s very kind bud, I’ve emailed spyderco in hopes of getting one as my Lil native came a lil bent
Not a big drama, just need to wait till I’m buying a few more odds n ends to make it worthwhile.
Thank you very much for the offer though, I really appreciate it.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Once again down the eBay rabbit hole, looks like fake Byrds are a thing too.
They have brought out more counterfeit models too, like an orange domino..