Manix2 LW S110v or PM2 (any version steel)for those who own both

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
RickC27

Manix2 LW S110v or PM2 (any version steel)for those who own both

Post by RickC27 »

I know there's a great debate between these knives, on which people prefer. I wanted to ask those of you who happen to own both...which do you think is the better value for the money? The Manix is typically around $126. The PM2 seems to start around $136 and up. I already own a Manix LW in BD1 that I love the feel of and plan on hard using starting this spring...if it ever comes in NY! I want the S110V as one for light use, probably using these two in the opposite of what they were intended haha...I just don't think I'm a skilled enough sharpener to get a wicked edge on the 110V. I own a Sage 5 and love the compression lock, and the PM2 having a similar size to the Manix has suddenly peaked my interest. So, after my long, rambling message....for those of you who own both, give me your take on which you prefer for the money and why. Thank you in advance!
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Re: Manix2 LW S110v or PM2 (any version steel)for those who own both

Post by kodai78 »

I own both. Use both. I have the PM in S35VN and S110 V. The Manix is in BD 1. You won’t go wrong either way! They are both great knives. I actually think they’re quite similar in the way they can be closed without having your fingers in the blade path. The Manix to me is a better value but that is a subjective view. Why not buy both!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I see in your sig that we have similar tastes. I'm new to Spyderco's and have the all black Manix in BD1, the Sage 5 and will be buying 2 more this week. One being the Chaparral and then debating these 2 big blades. Sounds like we'd be excellent knife buddies haha
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

How do they feel to you in relation to size? How they feel in hand and also while carrying in pocket?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have versions of both and they're both great models. If you already have a M2 LW then I'd say get the PM2.

BTW, I have the M2 LW in BD1, XHP, and S110V. I had two in BD1 and planned on getting rid of both after I got the versions with upgraded steel. I gave one to a friend but I'm keeping the other. I just love how easy it is to get BD1 wicked sharp. I'm fine with S110V but it doesn't thrill me. It loses that high level of sharpness as fast as a lot of other steels and takes more work to get it back.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:14 am
I have versions of both and they're both great models. If you already have a M2 LW then I'd say get the PM2.

BTW, I have the M2 LW in BD1, XHP, and S110V. I had two in BD1 and planned on getting rid of both after I got the versions with upgraded steel. I gave one to a friend but I'm keeping the other. I just love how easy it is to get BD1 wicked sharp. I'm fine with S110V but it doesn't thrill me. It loses that high level of sharpness as fast as a lot of other steels and takes more work to get it back.
I just can't get over how long s110v keeps a working edge, it's simply amazing. Since i don't shave with my knives I have no use for it to be that sharp so i let the working edge ride.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

As I've been looking around, the PM2 with the S35VN seems to be most appealing to me. The price is only around $30 more than the Manix, the steel seems to be easier to work with than some of the others and I like that Earth brown G10. At least I feel like I've got the decision narrowed down a bit thus far. I appreciate the feedback, the more the better!