Possible fake Grasshopper?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
mhibese121

Possible fake Grasshopper?

Post by mhibese121 »

Hi all,

I recently purchased a grasshopper from Amazon in the UK and I'm a bit concerned that it could be a counterfeit. The main thing I've noticed is it doesn't seem to have the spyderco logo etched into the handle, I'm not sure if it's possible for some to come without it.

If some of you could let me know what you think of the photos I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone :)
defenestrate

Re: Possible fake Grasshopper?

Post by defenestrate »

Is it 12C27 now? mine were 3Cr13MoV IIRC and I got several different ones. I'm not shocked that 12C27 might be used by china but I don't remember reading about this. Please, someone with better knowledge than me pipe up ;)
Andy_lluo

Post by Andy_lluo »

I’ve actually got the Bug, Honeybee and Grasshopper and the only difference I see is that your’s doesn’t have the logo laser etched on the handle. Maybe try contacting Spyderco? Good luck.

Andy
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I don’t think Spyderco is going to change steel without updating the catalog or information on the website. Chinese faker likes to label the steel better than it actually is. I suspect fake.
Chris :spyder:
araneae

Post by araneae »

That's curious indeed, interested to hear from the Spyder crew.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal