Stamp vs Etch on Dragonfly II Blade

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
bnevar

Stamp vs Etch on Dragonfly II Blade

Post by bnevar »

I recently purchased a Dragonfly II online. Out of the box it wasn't as sharp as I expected, and it doesn't seem to hold an edge as long as I would expect. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, as this is my first Spyderco knife.

I watched a youtube video, in which a Spyderco owner details the difference between real and fake Dragonfly IIs, and there are a couple issues that made me worry as to whether mine is authentic. Video link below:
https://youtu.be/CrswLLs-pKs

My Dragonfly II has authentic looking screws (2 different Torx bit sizes, screw heads are on the one side. However, there are 3 things that made me question its authenticity:
1) The blade appears to have "SPYDERCO VG-10" and "SEKI-CITY JAPAN" etched, rather than stamped into the blade. Also, the font looks different from the Spyderco stock photo, and the "dash/hyphen" character in "VG-10" and "SEKI-CITY" looks longer, more like a dash as opposed to a hyphen.
2) The pocket clip is not symmetrically folded. Once "leg" is a bit longer than the other, and the ends that slot into the knife handle are also not equal length. Both are of by a millimeter or two.
3) The pamphlet included in the box looks legitimate, except it does NOT have Social Media sharing links on it or a QR code like the pamphlet in the Youtube video does.

See image gallery linked below:
https://imgur.com/gallery/KzSIg

Does anyone have any insight as to whether I have an authentic Dragonfly II..?
BrianMcCord

Re: Stamp vs Etch on Dragonfly II Blade

Post by BrianMcCord »

bnevar wrote:I recently purchased a Dragonfly II online. Out of the box it wasn't as sharp as I expected, and it doesn't seem to hold an edge as long as I would expect. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, as this is my first Spyderco knife.

I watched a youtube video, in which a Spyderco owner details the difference between real and fake Dragonfly IIs, and there are a couple issues that made me worry as to whether mine is authentic. Video link below:
https://youtu.be/CrswLLs-pKs

My Dragonfly II has authentic looking screws (2 different Torx bit sizes, screw heads are on the one side. However, there are 3 things that made me question its authenticity:
1) The blade appears to have "SPYDERCO VG-10" and "SEKI-CITY JAPAN" etched, rather than stamped into the blade. Also, the font looks different from the Spyderco stock photo, and the "dash/hyphen" character in "VG-10" and "SEKI-CITY" looks longer, more like a dash as opposed to a hyphen.
2) The pocket clip is not symmetrically folded. Once "leg" is a bit longer than the other, and the ends that slot into the knife handle are also not equal length. Both are of by a millimeter or two.
3) The pamphlet included in the box looks legitimate, except it does NOT have Social Media sharing links on it or a QR code like the pamphlet in the Youtube video does.

See image gallery linked below:
https://imgur.com/gallery/KzSIg

Does anyone have any insight as to whether I have an authentic Dragonfly II..?
Compared to my black FRN, I would say yours is 100% genuine. Enjoy your knife!

Also, the box appears correct. There should be a gap between the foam and box, just as your pictures show.

*edited to add info
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

The VG-10 laser etching is same as my Endura that is 100% genuine, with the longer ‘-‘
Older thread that hopefully helps: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=73481

I don’t know how a fake Dragonfly is, but the fake FRN Endura scale usually will have missing ‘teeth’ at around the logo or at the end (butt). Your picture seems to have complete bidirectional teeth up to the end. You can check same YouTube poster on Endura. Unfortunately this method is not applicable for Stretch 2 FRN. The teeth are missing around the logo on the original.

The gleam of the VG-10 steel itself looks correct also. Seems legit.
Chris :spyder:
bnevar

Post by bnevar »

Thank you very much for the quick reply, really appreciate it. It's a relief knowing that I've got a genuine knife.