Fake Ladybug?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
GuyGadebois

Fake Ladybug?

Post by GuyGadebois »

Hello,
I've purchased a Ladybug 3 ZDP-189 on eBay, and the colour was supposed to be British Racing Green. Instead, I've received a Black one!
I've searched on Spyderco catalog and I could'nt find a Black Ladybug 3 with this superb steel.
Do you think is a fake one?
Thanks!
yablanowitz

Re: Fake Ladybug?

Post by yablanowitz »

Pretty hard to say from here. The British Racing Green FRN looks black in some light, you almost have to take it outdoors in direct sunlight to really see the green. Another possibility is a blade swap and a third is RIT dye. Buying on eBay is a crapshoot these days. The only way to be certain is to mail that knife to Spyderco and let them see it for themselves.

Welcome to the Forum.
GuyGadebois

Post by GuyGadebois »

Thanks for the answer, for the colour, you're right, it's "green" under the sun and almost black inside the house.
I'm on contact with "Spyderco Customer Service/Warranty/Repair" and they say that it's probabely a legit one!

Edit: It's a legit one!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I hadn't heard of the Ladybug being faked (as opposed to roughy copied), but anything is possible these days. Glad it worked out.
GuyGadebois

Post by GuyGadebois »

Thanks. I have to say that this little knife is fantastic. I could shave myself better than with a multiblade razor!
I want to thank Charlynn from "Spyderco Customer Service/Warranty/Repair" for the kindness and efficiency she offererd to me.

(Forgive my language, I'm an "old school" french)