Potential fake from reputable dealer

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Aremso

Potential fake from reputable dealer

Post by Aremso »

Hi all

I recently received a dragonfly ZDP from a large vendor.

The knife looks like original Spyderco (fit and finish) but it does not have the seki-city marking.

http://i.imgur.com/h7ab19n.jpg

Can anyone help as to whether this knife is genuine?

Cheers
Last edited by Aremso on Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aremso

Re: Potential fake from reputable dealer

Post by Aremso »

A few more pics here

http://imgur.com/a/efHAQ
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd be leery of it. It may be a case where the blade just did not get stamped on the one side, but with the number of fakes out there these days I would not take a chance on it. Where did you purchase it, and can you return it to them?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There is no reason a reputable dealer would sell a fake. Most have a reputation that spans at least a decade and those things cannot be repaired if broken. If bought from Knifecenter, Cutleryshoppe, GP Knives, BladeHQ, Howes, Sierra, Knifeworks, etc I would assume it's just an oddly processed knife.

Not sure there is much we can say that will put your mind to ease though. I would work on returning the product and go elsewhere just so it doesn't bother you. The longer you wait the harder that process will be. Good luck!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Tough to say. I wouldn't trust it. It is always possible that somebody bought a real one from a reputable dealer and then returned a fake and they didn't notice.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If the knife was purchased new from a reputable seller and you can't get the seller either to exchange it (because of its flaw), or at least identify its distributor (to establish bona fides), I think it might be time to involve Spyderco. Spyderco can determine whether the knife is authentic and whether the distributor is authorized, and thus, maybe, give you recourse.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Aremso

Post by Aremso »

I would return it but unfortunately I'm from Australia (where shipping to the USA would cost 30% the value of this particular knife).

I guess I'll contact the dealer and see what they can do.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I don't know about Dragonfly, but for Endura, the fakes don't have full FRN 'teeth' around the logo, but I can't see clearly from the images posted.

Checkout this discussion and corresponding video by Les Garten.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... st15468929

Hope the dealer gets it resolved for you.
Chris :spyder:
Aremso

Post by Aremso »

Knifecenter is yet to reply to my email and unfortunately the only way Spyderco can apparently assist me is if I send the knife back to the USA. They cant ID from photos.
Aremso

Post by Aremso »

So it seems like knifecenter doesn't want to take any responsibility-

"
I apologize for the confusion on what potential markings were missing. As mentioned, we are an authorized retailer for Spyderco and only get them new from authorized sources. Unfortunately we do not have any in stock at the moment so I wouldn't be able to pull one to look at the markings. I would recommend reaching out to Spyderco. Their email is:

customerservice@spyderco.com
"

Is there anyone from Spyderco that frequents the forum?
Emailing the customer service at Spyderco gives me the impression they can't be stuffed to even look at the photos.

A bit appalled actually at the level of customer service by both companies. After using and collecting Spydercos for years I've never had to contact their CS department, but really... I expected more.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Kristi, Sal & Mike usually patrol the forum so any of them might drop in and say something.

If it's my knife:
- Knife Center has confirmed they are sure the knife is legitimate.
- Missing stamp if it's original won't bother me.
- I don't know if fake dragonfly will have missing FRN teeth like Endura, so I'd search images & videos to compare
- the fake ZDP also doesn't have the real BRG color, it tends to be black. So if I can see it's dark green and not black, it's likely to be real.
- I know what steel Chinese faker will use from testing 8Cr, so if this ZDP sharpened much harder, then it is true ZDP.

Once I can find those clues & confirm, I'd be ok, the knife simply missing tang stamp.

However, if I bought from Amazon, or eBay, I'd ask for exchange.

What I'm trying to say, is given the circumstances, it seems to be real. I also live far from US, so it's a risk I always have to be ready to take, i.e getting a fake & have to send to Spyderco, or just accept & write off the loss.

There are authorized dealer in Australia (Sal mentioned some), so if one wants assurance, and can exchange locally there's option to buy from them. If one wants cheaper price (I do), take the risk & order directly from US.

Getting from Knife Center is good choice. It's should be guaranteed genuine (they say so). Unless you can't live without the tang stamp, then you can ask them for exchange and wait some more time.

Lastly, try writing to customer service & point them to this thread. You can't condemn them before even asking (?). They are helpful.
Last edited by anagarika on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd interpret what KnifeCenter said as sufficient reason to believe the knife is genuine. Truth is, even if they had more in stock, the fact that they all had tang stamps would not mean that yours is fake. Factory errors, like a missing tang stamp, are hard to document as they're just as likely to appear only on a single specimen as on an entire batch. Beyond that, the only people who can say for certain whether a given knife is a genuine Spyderco are the folks in Golden, and they can't do it just by looking at photos, they'd need the knife in hand to make that determination. So, since KC says it's ok, if it passes anagarika's other tests, I'd be satisfied that it was real.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Have you used and sharpened ZDP before? It is a very unique steel and I would be able to tell if it was real or not just by sharpening it. Counterfeiters wouldn't have used anything even remotely similar to ZDP.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Aremso

Post by Aremso »

I haven't sharpened ZDP before but I noticed this blade has a burr on a few spots.

Most of my knives are s30v, s35vn, cts-204p. Any of those similar to ZDP?

I don't really want to touch it atm until I can sort something out with Knifecenter.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Everything in the photos you posted indicates it is 100% genuine in my opinion.

Laser etching on the front looks right. Grind looks good. Also, ZDP is sharpened differently than Spyderco's VG-10, and the grit marks left on the edge are very unique. The grit marks on your knife appear to be identical to every ZDP knife I've had from Spyderco.

Something else I've noticed about ZDP is that it's slightly yellow when compared to other steels like VG-10 or S30V. Hold it up next to one of your S30V knives and see if there's a noticeable color difference.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

That thing looks just like mine. I'd say it's real.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

One more thing: the grind line/finish of the spine. All Seki knives are finished with lines perpendicular to blade length.
Chinese copies that I've seen all has the spine finish parallel to blade length, which happened to genuine Resilience and GB1.
None of my Seki made knives are like that (unless modded).

James is right. ZDP is a bit yellowish compared to VG10. I don't have S30V to compare.
Aremso

Post by Aremso »

I finally got around to sharpening on my edge pro.

I did not have any difficulty getting it to a mirror edge.

Based on experience with sharpening...it definitely is not Aus-8 or 8CR13mov soft. But it did not seem significantly difficult to sharpen to 40 degrees inclusive (similar to probably s35vn). I seem to have the most difficulty with vg10 out of all steels.

Does that sound right?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Aremso wrote:I finally got around to sharpening on my edge pro.

I did not have any difficulty getting it to a mirror edge.

Based on experience with sharpening...it definitely is not Aus-8 or 8CR13mov soft. But it did not seem significantly difficult to sharpen to 40 degrees inclusive (similar to probably s35vn). I seem to have the most difficulty with vg10 out of all steels.

Does that sound right?
Doing 40° inclusive means almost a microbevel. My Endura is at around 30°

Having said that, if it's not 8Cr soft then it should be ok. ZDP will perform best with diamond, acute angle and light pressure. Too heavy a pressure will result in micro chipping.

I think it's all right combined with all the other factors (FRN pattern, etc).

VG10 is more difficult due to burr removal. It's burr is really stubborn. But that's another topic altogether.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I compared your photos to my knife and they look the same just no Seki stamp.