Let's come up with Anti-Counterfeiting devices?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
SpyderEdgeForever

Let's come up with Anti-Counterfeiting devices?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am deeply grieved and disgusted at the massive influx of counterfeit knives that rip off the good name of Spyderco. Perhaps we as in the forum members and other interested parties can think up a design for one or more anti-fake measures? I was thinking perhaps something along the lines of a permanent, holographic embedded microstructure that can either be scanned, or, read somehow, by the purchaser as well as by the seller. I do not yet know how this would be constructed...it would have to have zero negative effect upon the knife steel and function. It could be embedded in the handle structure, as well. The downside would be if the counterfeit producers figure out how to counterfeit this anti-fake measure.
Water Bug

Re: Let's come up with Anti-Counterfeiting devices?

Post by Water Bug »

And, there's the problem... any anti-counterfitting measure can be defeated over time by those who want to deceive and cheat the public by utilizing a counter anti-counterfitting measure... it's a never-ending battle.

My response has been to purchase Spyderco products only from Spyderco directly or from a reputable, mortar-store dealer. Yes, that sometimes means paying higher prices... so be it... at least it's the real deal and you have someone reputable you can deal with if there are problems.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Do the counterfeiters also include copies of the Spyderco warranty and papers that usually come with the box, or not? That would be one way to know if its for real?
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Do the counterfeiters also include copies of the Spyderco warranty and papers that usually come with the box, or not? That would be one way to know if its for real?
A lot of them do, and sometimes a fake seller will buy a real Spyderco from a retailer and return the fake in the box to the retailer.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I think the biggest problem would be since so many are purchased on Ebay or elsewhere that even with proof, it will be hard to do anything about the counterfeits from being made and sold. Shut down 1 seller, 10 more pop up. I research the sellers I have bought from first, big well known stores and Ebay sellers alike. Forums like this can be a great help, thanks by the way. I think the best we can do is encourage others to do the same and help them do it.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I am deeply grieved and disgusted at the massive influx of counterfeit knives that rip off the good name of Spyderco. Perhaps we as in the forum members and other interested parties can think up a design for one or more anti-fake measures? I was thinking perhaps something along the lines of a permanent, holographic embedded microstructure that can either be scanned, or, read somehow, by the purchaser as well as by the seller. I do not yet know how this would be constructed...it would have to have zero negative effect upon the knife steel and function. It could be embedded in the handle structure, as well. The downside would be if the counterfeit producers figure out how to counterfeit this anti-fake measure.
It would be darn near impossible to design and even harder to make totally invisible under normal viewing so as not to upset the "don't want no writing on my knives" crowd. It would also invariably add to the cost, possibly quite a bit. And, given that despite every security feature the government has engineered into paper money, counterfeits still get passed every day, it would not really be all that effective.

The unfortunate truth is that there's only one 100% reliable way to insure that you're getting genuine goods and that is for a manufacturer to change their entire business model, eliminate all middlemen, and only sell directly to the consumer. That's not going to happen in Spyderco's case for any number of reasons including space, personnel, and cash flow. As others have noted, the best way we can protect ourselves is to deal only with reputable dealers and, for the ultimate protection, only from reputable dealers with a "no returns" policy.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Probably only possible with a unique serial number, probably laser etched onto the blade, and purchaser product registration - like Rolex watches.
This obviously has a cost.
At what level of registration would it work?
If there was an optional registration fee, would enough people pay it, even if it proved the authenticity of their knife?

I know that my Spydies are legit. I don't buy products off ebay that are at risk of being fakes. If you do, well, it's Caveat Emptor (buyer beware), but being able to prove it would have some value to me.
Coffee and Steel

Post by Coffee and Steel »

Maybe they could just make more secure proprietary packaging with holographic seals and stickers. Maybe include a warranty card with a unique product registration ID, and a watermark that you can see if you hold it up to a light...like currency almost, but not quite as elaborate for cost. They can keep the same box, just add a warranty seal or something to it.

Put more of the anti-counterfeit jazz on the packaging and accessories, rather than add cost onto the knife manufacturing process. Most of keep the packages as trophies anyway. I personally use mine for holding screws and parts while, while tinkering with my knives and other stuff.

I know, it pisses me off to no end too--apart from obvious fakes that might make some of us chuckle occasionally. I wish they'd do some scorched earth witch hunting, and make the counterfeit market a more uncomfortable affair. I'm sure Spyderco will figure something out. Figuring things out seems be one of the many things they're good at.

*puts the crazy tinfoil hat on* what if other knife companies, that outsource production to China, are secretly funding counterfeiters to undermine Spyderco's business?
tap78

Post by tap78 »

There is one feature that gives You an information if the knife is genuine...
performance of the steel.
762cal

Post by 762cal »

DONT put the 'anti counterfeiting devices' on the box... like what Deacon said, do buy from reputable source that has no return policy... let's say some thief bought an endura, switched it with fake endura and send it back with the box to the seller to get refund/ another knife
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The Deacon wrote: for the ultimate protection, only from reputable dealers with a "no returns" policy.
In my book (I've worked in retail and CS for 25+ years) any retailer with a "no returns" policy is *not* reputable!

If I'm going to pony up for a premium quality product like Spyderco, I will most certainly expect the seller to take back an unsatisfactory item... The customer is *not* always right, however as a stand-up business person you have to accommodate them, unless they're blatantly abusing your goodwill in after sale service. Not only will this attitude promote return business, but it's just the right way to treat people.

P.S. returning a counterfeit knife to a retailer when an original was purchased is pretty blatant abuse... This sort of scenario is why any smart retailer QCs every last returned item!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
sal

Post by sal »

We spoke with our congressman, from which followed an opportunity to speak before Congress on the issue, along with a few others having similar issues. All of the counterfeits come from China.

There has been no response and no follow up. While I do think you should vote, and I won't tell you who to vote for, I would suggest that you vote against any politician that has forgotten their function.

sal
awa54

Post by awa54 »

sal wrote: I would suggest that you vote against any politician that has forgotten their function.

sal
That's a big field to vote against!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...