Fake Dragonfly 2 Salt

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
MarcusH

Fake Dragonfly 2 Salt

Post by MarcusH »

Never seen this before:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shi ... 38649.html
Easy to identify as a fake, look at the grind of the blade or the pivot on the left handle, but nevertheless scary, they even have the small boxes.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Pretty scary indeed. All the more reason to buy from quality places and even more quality people.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the input.

sal
Freman

Post by Freman »

Well it looks like they're replicating the FRN now.

It's a good thing I only buy from reputable dealers in the US or here in New Zealand.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This apprears to be a very close copy. Would it benefit the community to purchase one of these for disassembly and photos Sal? Then maybe send it to you for evaluation? Thoughts?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Meat man

Re: Fake Dragonfly 2 Salt

Post by The Meat man »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to Spyderco in general. I just bought a Dragonfly 2 SE salt (off of Amazon, third party seller) and reading these posts is making me wonder if I got a real or fake one.
I don't really have any reason to think it's fake but like I said I'm new to Spyderco and inexperienced.
The knife itself is nice and solid, lockup is solid, spring is tight. The chisel-ground blade is razor sharp. Clip is tight. Everything seems very well made. The one thing is, while the blade has absolutely no side to side wiggle, it does wiggle just a tiny bit up and down in the locked position. Not enough to see, but enough to feel. I have an AG Russell K93 that has the same problem so maybe it's just how FRN is.
The screw heads are all on the side they're supposed to be on. Am I just being paranoid or is there a simple way to tell the fakes from the real ones?

Oh, and the little "Spyderco H-1" and "Seki-city Japan" wording on the blade appears to be etched.

Thanks!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

As a true fan of the Salts (90% of my Spydercos are Salts) I promptly searched for fakes and knockoffs in case someone ever tried to pass a fake Spyderco to me or sell me a clone. :mad:

I've found in my research fakes of the Dragonfly Salt (and of course the normal DF) of two different types/designs, both PE and SE. Here's the most typical counterfeit, and Cutlerylover helps us find out the details that scream "fake!"

https://youtu.be/slYrdYrkc1Y

there's many other videos on YT about how to spot fake Spydercos. The smartasses are getting closer every day, beware!
And always buy from reputable authorised dealers if possible

Take care.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thanks for the info, PeaCent. I've also read on some other threads that most Dragonflies have a teeny bit of up and down in the locked position, so all things considered I'm confident mine is legit. It's rapidly becoming my favorite EDC. :) I love the razor sharp serrations!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Salts are the easiest spydercos to test for fakes: if they rust they're fake. But the test can't be done in a few seconds, like spotting for other issues...