ACTION must be taken

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
maddman

ACTION must be taken

Post by maddman »

hey, spyderco fans, I just came across a mobile phone review, what drew my attention was the detailed thumbnail photo of the video - a "knife"- that was scratching the back of that phone. the video got 2.5 mil views in just 5 days. whats the reason I am mad ? that american boy is using a black coated thumb stud strangely shaped folder that has SPYDERCO name and R on it at 2:56 [ATTACH]22946[/ATTACH]
-ACTION is required immediately, copyright infringement notification must be send, or at least changing of that thumbnail, or in a couple of months 100 million you tube users will learn that spyderco makes phony looking folding knives.
-its an inevitable, isolated, phenomenon, but with this huge negative publicity (the youtube user is trusted and with almost 1 mil subscribers), it makes me feel CHEATED AND STOLEN only by looking at that photo.
THANK YOU
Attachments
11111111.jpg
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

Wow super nice Phablet !!! oh and Spyderco's name is seen by millions . It is a counterfeit but may be thousands of viewers buy a genuine from watching the vid.
9 er's.....

Latest :spyder:s...C173G, SC90FPGYE, C81GPGR2...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have some bad news for you, maddman. You can't fix stupid. Yes, the knife in that video is infringing on a registered trademark, but I doubt the YouTube phone reviewer made the knife. I doubt he put Spyderco's name on it. His only "crime" is being stupid (or a cheapskate, take your pick). If the video gets five million views, and one viewer in ten pays enough attention to read the name on the knife, and one in ten of those viewers does any checking, fifty thousand people will see that the phone reviewer is stupid. I can't see that as a bad thing.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Does YouTube paid out money if your video gets a certain amount of views?
Leon

Post by Leon »

.357 mag wrote:Does YouTube paid out money if your video gets a certain amount of views?
Yup. That's why there's a whole bunch of random "channels"..people hoping their video goes viral and make some decent $$
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Good reason to post a video of a fake spyderco on the spyderco forum to say " watch this!" on your very first post.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

.357 mag wrote:Does YouTube paid out money if your video gets a certain amount of views?
Just a minor correction there - YouTube pays in terms of minutes watched, not views per video. So a 1 minute video watched 10 times theoretically pays the same as a 10 minute video watched once.

However, the original point is well taken.
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Just a minor correction there - YouTube pays in terms of minutes watched, not views per video. So a 1 minute video watched 10 times theoretically pays the same as a 10 minute video watched once.

However, the original point is well taken.
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

.357 mag wrote:Good reason to post a video of a fake spyderco on the spyderco forum to say " watch this!" on your very first post.
What?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The implication would seem to be that the O. P. may have a financial stake in the video in question. Post a link to a video with a fake Spydie on the Spyderco Factory forum in hopes that everyone there will watch it, driving up the viewing time while they are being outraged. As others said above, YouTube pays money for viewing time.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Eh...seems unlikely to me but what do I know.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

jalcon wrote:Eh...seems unlikely to me but what do I know.
This thread was/is still his first post since yesterday at 3 is the morning. Just saying.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yep. It seems he joined just to post a YouTube video and vanish. I think I smell Spam.
maddman

Post by maddman »

OMG duds, whats with the offensive attitude, I came and say Good Day, (the Chapter is called "Spyderco fakes...") and I reported an unjust action against Spyderco made public on millions views, why I am associated with that american boy that is supporting the counterfeit of knives ? , does the ebay links in other threads actually sells the fake knives? if that thumbnail doesnt makes you swearing that means you dont love spyderco that much (or you thought it was a '70 spyderco), and on the other hand attack the man that reported that unfair video.
I own and carry spyderco knives(of ~1000$), and I can recognize any spyderco model produced.
I did switched the video for a print screen. (but it can not be identified and notified to remove the thumbnail )

Thanks jalcon :)
maddman

Post by maddman »

I was composing my response, man whats your level of understanding the internet? and why you have mixed ideas about my first post?
you really believe what you are saying, I came to post a video, for what reason, isn't the reason obvious ? you make me laugh :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

maddman, I think the confusion comes because typically a first time poster that starts a thread with a video could be seen as spam or as having other motives. We see this here (and on other forums) from time to time. Case in point this thread where the channel name and the forum member name are similar and the first post is (likely) just to boost views. The video you posted was actually posted here a few days prior to your posting and with no question because the posting forum member has an established reputation with thousands of posts. I don't think anyone ment you any harm and we would like to welcome you here, but we like this place and sometimes the circumstances of strange happenings cause us to put our guard up. When I first joined a member gave me some good advice..... read often and post when you feel you have something to add.
Again, welcome to our little cutlery corner.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There's nothing wrong, per se, with posting a YouTube video here, per se. However, there are a couple reasons why some folks may have gotten the wrong impression of your motives. First, because it posted in your very first post on the forum. Like it or not, links to anything posted in a first post are going to be suspect. Second, the video had already been posted in this sub-forum a couple days earlier, with a very descriptive title - Fake spydie used in a review on a new LG phone. Now I'm not totally against posting new threads on old topics, but when the "old" thread is only a couple days old, still visible on the first page, and clearly germane, ignoring it can indicate that the person re-posting the topic has an agenda. Finally, there's your somewhat over the top "ACTION must be taken" title. In spite of all that, the initial responses were civil, but your absence added one more reason to question your motives.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
maddman

Post by maddman »

thanks for the welcome :) (and for the tips) , yes I should have made the comment there, but is 1 thing to see a fake spyderco on a chinese site, and other to see an us citizen using it as that was the real thing, that was my upset, still... nothing happened since those days passed :(
maddman

Post by maddman »

The Deacon wrote:There's nothing wrong, per se, with posting a YouTube video here, per se. However, there are a couple reasons why some folks may have gotten the wrong impression of your motives. First, because it posted in your very first post on the forum. Like it or not, links to anything posted in a first post are going to be suspect. Second, the video had already been posted in this sub-forum a couple days earlier, with a very descriptive title - Fake spydie used in a review on a new LG phone. Now I'm not totally against posting new threads on old topics, but when the "old" thread is only a couple days old, still visible on the first page, and clearly germane, ignoring it can indicate that the person re-posting the topic has an agenda. Finally, there's your somewhat over the top "ACTION must be taken" title. In spite of all that, the initial responses were civil, but your absence added one more reason to question your motives.
yes, I was wrong re posting,(sorry) and I was busy :) , the title "ACTION must be taken" attracted more attention (in thread views) to the importance of the subject, what I thought it was of a serious matter. thanks
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Maddman,

Welcome to our forum.

sal