'Sharpmaker' Knockoff

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Pinetreebbs

'Sharpmaker' Knockoff

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I'm not sure if "Sharpmaker" is a copyrighted name, but I found several listings for "Sharpmaker" knife sharpeners from China. The listings do not say Spyderco but the name and the pictures scream, "Knockoff."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Ki ... 4897.l4275
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Tri-Angle Sharpmaker seems very specific. I reported it anyway.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

That's definitely a complete rip off. Copyright infringement doesn't seem to translate very well...
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
sal

Post by sal »

Certainly a growing problem.

sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

All other ethical concers aside, why would someone risk a curious ripoff for only a $10.00 savings? Seems silly to me. I realize this is almost 18% savings, but at what cost to the life of the product? I love saving money as much as the next, but what are you really saving in the grand scheme?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

If only companies would stop manufacturing in China!!! We have shipped far too many jobs over there already! Since 1994, the year NAFTA was passed, this country has lost about 15 MILLION jobs to CHINA< MEXICO< CENTRAL AMERICA< INDIA< and GOD KNOWS where else! Now we are reaping what was sown! :mad:
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

If only companies would stop manufacturing in China!!! We have shipped far too many jobs over there already! Since 1994, the year NAFTA was passed, this country has lost about 15 MILLION jobs to CHINA< MEXICO< CENTRAL AMERICA< INDIA< and GOD KNOWS where else! Now we are reaping what was sown! :mad:
sal

Post by sal »

I agree that US is best to manufacture in for our future as a country.

sal
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Not only is it a ripoff of the sharpmaker, but check out the "look alike" boxes in the background. Look familiar? :rolleyes: Doubt it's a coincidence.
Freman

Post by Freman »

I saw this, and it inspired me to go buy a genuine Sharpmaker.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

eric m. wrote:If only companies would stop manufacturing in China!!! We have shipped far too many jobs over there already! Since 1994, the year NAFTA was passed, this country has lost about 15 MILLION jobs to CHINA< MEXICO< CENTRAL AMERICA< INDIA< and GOD KNOWS where else! Now we are reaping what was sown! :mad:
As long as the consumers continue to purchase foreign made products, there's no motivation for the companies to stay in the US, is there?
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Freman

Post by Freman »

As Sal has pointed out himself IIRC, no American jobs have been lost through producing budget Spyderco knives in China because those knives wouldn't have been produced in America. Instead the money made by selling knives like the Tenacious goes into the Spyderco bank account and helps support their American operations. Without the Chinese we wouldn't have the excellent Byrd range of knives either.

Certainly there are manufacturers who have shipped American (and New Zealand) jobs over to countries where the cost of labour is much lower, and they should be rightly condemned, but Spyderco is not one of those companies.

What we are seeing is the result of living in a global marketplace, not the result of out-sourcing. It isn't a new thing. Centuries ago German and French blade makers copied the names of Spanish manufacturers because the Spanish were seen as the masters of the art. If companies are copying Spyderco it is because they see Spyderco as a superior brand.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

this_is_nascar wrote:As long as the consumers continue to purchase foreign made products, there's no motivation for the companies to stay in the US, is there?
I do agree to a certain extend. I don't mind buying foreign products as long as this product is a quality or design you don't find elsewhere, then I'm talking about leading industies, US knives, Swiss Watches, Italian Design, Belgian beer :) , etc. But I do have a problem when companies using this industry reputation to maximise profit and produce there produced abroad. Then you get things like "Designed in California" $50 phones sold for $800.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
thegaunlet

Post by thegaunlet »

Hi Guys,

I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker and a Dragonfly 2 Salt and Ladybug 3 Salt for my gf. Love everyone of them :)

http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-s ... roupsort=1

Didn't realize but the pictures in the link by OP is the same as listings on Aliexpress but they look new. I love the Sharpmaker for fool proof sharpening but have been exploring other systems for more variations on angles etc and thought about the Edge Pro Apex but it's really very expensive. I am looking for a Edge Pro knockoff just to see how it's like. Lo and behold, I saw fake Triangle Sharpmakers that look exactly like the original one I have just without 1. Wordings on the top cover and 2. Different colored "medium" stones. The supposed "fine" stones are white but I doubt they are of the same material and quality of Spyderco's.

Have been doing some research and don't really get why there're some who stand by Edge Pro but now I do. I use the Triangle Sharpmaker and I love them, just slide on 150 Grit Silicone Carbide Sandpaper for really dull knives. I can't afford much now saving for college. But I feel them now, I love Spyderco and am absolutely shocked at how much they can copy.

They look new, anything can be done about this?

Regards,
Felix
Freman

Post by Freman »

There are other guided rod systems like the Edge Pro that aren't copies. There's an all stainless system that is produced in China that does the job for not too much money, you've probably seen it. It's not as easily used as the Edge Pro, lots of screws and nuts, but with an Angle Cube it's easy enough to set the angle right and then use a Sharpmaker for a 20° microbevel. Obviously there are things like the Lansky and Gatco which aren't too much more expensive either.
thegaunlet

Post by thegaunlet »

Freman wrote:There are other guided rod systems like the Edge Pro that aren't copies. There's an all stainless system that is produced in China that does the job for not too much money, you've probably seen it. It's not as easily used as the Edge Pro, lots of screws and nuts, but with an Angle Cube it's easy enough to set the angle right and then use a Sharpmaker for a 20° microbevel. Obviously there are things like the Lansky and Gatco which aren't too much more expensive either.
Yes I saw the full metal one on Aliexpress. Most sold, quite surprised. The idea is good being full metal and simplistic but I find it too low. The fake EP Pro is the highest but a suction clamo isnt too versatile. The fake EP A seems good. I'm buying real accessories and in total it costs less than half if original.

Spyderco Sharpmaker is simple and great esp w the scissors angle and slots for 2 flat stones. Perhaps it's the relationship with knives and the sharpener that I feel buying the real sharpmaker is the way to go. 15 and 20 degrees per side covers most knives. Sharper knives at 15 works well too. Stones will hardly ever wear too right? Lots of Cif and 3M ScotchBrite and good as new :)

Thanks Freman!
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

So this knockoff is only a little cheaper than real deal and it doesn't come with Sal's great DVD. What a ripoff? Though if they did make a DVD, it would be pretty funny to watch ;)
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5