I have a recent fake pm2 in my posession.

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
spike g

I have a recent fake pm2 in my posession.

Post by spike g »

I got it about a week ago from dhgate.com
I made a short video showing what ive noticed so far

https://youtu.be/Nys5lBn ... ata_player

here are some pictures too. The fake even has the date manufactured stamped on the blade

http://imgur.com/a/jsOKB

There are a couple differences more than just the liner. The point where the bevel stops is different, the jimping is angled on the real one and not on the fake. The pivot screw is the same size as the frame screws on the fake and larger on the real one. The opening for the compression lock is rounded off on the real and sharp angles on the fake. The hole is ever so slightly smaller on the fake. The g10 isnt as textured as the real one.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Where did you buy it?
spike g

Post by spike g »

Buckaloo

Post by Buckaloo »

Thanks for the info. The para 2 is 2nd in line on my list. This really has gotten way out of hand. I know it happens to every brand and not just knives. But you go to messing with my favorite knife and that's fighting words. You stole my stealth but faking the work of art spyderco is crossing the line.
NorthernPanda

Post by NorthernPanda »

The fake would have fooled me if I didn't have a real one beside it to compare. Thanks for the video/pictures showing the differences. sucks that you spent your cash and got a fake. :mad:
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Is the action similar at all? Lockup? Is the steel noticeably bad? I would have been fooled. That's incredibly similar.
scottypp

Post by scottypp »

I recently saw a store closed here in GA for selling knock off clothing,, they misspelled "Reebok"

These knives though, man, that is hard to spot !!
spike g

Post by spike g »

fanglekai wrote:Is the action similar at all? Lockup? Is the steel noticeably bad? I would have been fooled. That's incredibly similar.
Its very smooth and the blade steel is actually pretty decent. Definitely softer than s30v but it takes and holds an edge pretty well. Its not bad aside from the obvious design ripoff
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Unbelievable duplication for $50. I certainly would have been fooled. I better check my Para 2s right now just for peace of mind.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

camvdcs wrote:Unbelievable duplication for $50. I certainly would have been fooled. I better check my Para 2s right now just for peace of mind.
They get cheaper... $19.55 shipped. I was tempted just to see how well built they were, but I do not want to support these people at all. (The clip appears to be bug-less in the pics.)

I have three Para2s and I am really glad I bought them all from reputable dealers.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's extremely easy people: Buy from dealers who aren't thieves.

They have reputations to uphold. They have a dealer relationship with Spyderco. It's pretty much a 100% chance of success...
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

The real deal is reasonably priced and has a **** of a lot better steel so why would anyone waste money on the fake?
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

mrphotoman wrote:The real deal is reasonably priced and has a **** of a lot better steel so why would anyone waste money on the fake?
I would buy one for $20 just to see how close it was to the real one. It seems as though it would make a half way decent beater or tool box knife. And currently with PM2s in such short supply, people are paying 130-180 dollars for the black g10 satin blade version on ebay. So if they can't afford that and need that itch satisfied I guess many will resort to buying the fake. I would never buy the fake in place of the real one... but since I already have a real one I think it would be cool to buy it and really test the crap out of it and see how the steel holds up and such. I'd imagine the steel is either 8cr13 or 8cr14 mov or 440c with a hardness of around 57-59. I don't know... the longer I type the less interested I become in the fake. And it still pisses me off that it isn't just a copy of the style of the knife... but I total rip off of the spyderco logo... ehhh.. nevermind. I wouldn't buy one either! :)
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just FYI, the part about the bevel grind isn't really a good thing to look for, as no two bevels are going to be identical since they're sharpened by hand. I also wouldn't be surprised if all the things you pointed out don't get fixed sooner or later.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spike g

Post by spike g »

Evil D wrote:Just FYI, the part about the bevel grind isn't really a good thing to look for, as no two bevels are going to be identical since they're sharpened by hand. I also wouldn't be surprised if all the things you pointed out don't get fixed sooner or later.
Its hard to see in the video but if you look at the pictures you'll see what I'm talking about. Its not the grind its self but the blade shape where the bevel stops. There is a notch on the fake one

endgame

Post by endgame »

you no you are buying a fake if the price is under 115$ or under 100$ its definatly going to be a fake.has anyone gotten or seen one of these beeing sold for normal prices?that would realy get me cause i no just to stay away from those sites and anything under !00$ cause i havent seen any fakes for that price.what about you guys?
Blaz55

Post by Blaz55 »

I really wish I would have seen this sooner. I just got taken this week from someone on eBay. And I payed 132 with shipping.
Blaz55

Post by Blaz55 »

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Are you certain you got taken? The lock access cut in the clip side scale has the rounded back that looks like the access cuts on genuine Spyderco PM2s.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

The Deacon wrote:Are you certain you got taken? The lock access cut in the clip side scale has the rounded back that looks like the access cuts on genuine Spyderco PM2s.
...and all of the fake digi-camo one I have seen pictures of looked nothing like the real deal in color or pattern.