Paramilitary Replica on Ebay

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
shaolinbill

Paramilitary Replica on Ebay

Post by shaolinbill »

Right now, this Paramilitary replica is listed on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-PARAMI ... 51ad0fcf13
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Those fakes are scary... at least the listing clearly mentions the knife is a fake. I'm sure a lot of sellers would not be so forthcoming.
3f8

Post by 3f8 »

This is a good reason to resolve the PM2 shortage. With demand so high for so long. People will turn to the dark side. Nobody really wants a cheap second, but the real deal is nowhere to found.
endgame

Post by endgame »

I no it scary .i no a deale who has real ones pm if you want.he has 5 I hope I don't get in trouble to saying this.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

3f8 wrote:This is a good reason to resolve the PM2 shortage. With demand so high for so long. People will turn to the dark side. Nobody really wants a cheap second, but the real deal is nowhere to found.
I lucked upon a dealer that had some in stock not too long ago. They are slowly making their way back into stores, but you have to act fast when you see one!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I hate this sort of stuff fake signatures and all that must drive Spyderco nuts.
Freman

Post by Freman »

I would agree. Although copying the shape is annoying, at least when another manufacturer copies the shape and uses their own labels you know what you're getting. Love them or hate them, at least Navy abides by that rule and for some they're a gateway drug into real Spydercos. Copying the shape, and the Spyderco labels means these replicas are just too close to the real thing for many people who aren't knife aficionados to tell the difference. They're probably an okay knife, if not as good as the real thing, but if someone gets a bad knife then which company gets the blame? Not the anonymous Chinese company who made the imitation, the company whose logo is etched on the blade. :mad:
endgame

Post by endgame »

Thexfact they even make the box is what scares me
3f8

Post by 3f8 »

You hear of counterfeit Gucci or Levis and Interpol intercedes. Crackdown on counterfeit goods they say. I thing the establishment looks at us knife people as if we are already on the wrong side of the line. So no love.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

creepy! the prices of these fakies rose quickly! i saw one of these for 29,90 $ a few weeks ago! anyway i'm glad that there's an original clipped to my right pocket!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

What scares me is that any unscrupulous individual could snap up several fakes and turn them over quickly on eBay as the real thing, just selling as an anonymous individual. I've just been bitten recently by the Spyderco bug (spider?) and the fake pictured on eBay seemed to have every detail. I'm looking for a PM2 now (black/black -- anybody seen one?) and I'm not sure I could spot a fake if there were no flaws in fit and finish... I could compare blade sharpening to that of my new Manix2 S30V.

Hey, this gives me another excuse to try to buy sprints and things with unusual metal :) --they would not be as likely to fake something like that, especially not right after it's released.

This also makes me very leery of little-known dealers "way down the google list" who just have a few to sell.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

there are a lot of indices, what can help you to spot fakes!

the para2 fake above to example doesn't come with gimping!
you're at the right place to get to knoe all the details! maybe check out the knock offs replica thread here in the forums!

regards jul
aogami super blue dragonfly!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

polyhexamethyl wrote:there are a lot of indices, what can help you to spot fakes!

the para2 fake above to example doesn't come with gimping!
you're at the right place to get to knoe all the details! maybe check out the knock offs replica thread here in the forums!

regards jul
Yes, the lack of jimping is pretty obvious now that you mention it and I'm sure there are lots of other details that would show up if you had the replica in hand. Also, if somebody on eBay represented one as a genuine Spyderco, I'm sure you'd be protected by eBay Buyer Protection. Being a noob with Spydercos, I don't know much about all their trademarks and patents, but surely, even when this thing is labeled as a replica, they must be at least violating Spyderco's trademark rights. It's probably illegal for them to produce and sell it and I think eBay should kick them off their site. Pirates like this probably survive because of the huge cost in time and legal fees it would take to shut them down and the fact that they move on from one product to another.
DRH

Post by DRH »

Since I have the time ... I apply vigilance and persistence when spotting fakes like this .... and they are out there in great numbers. My routine is to first report the item to Ebay (Usually not very successful, since Ebay is in business to make money ... but, on occasion has worked). Next, I send a msg to the seller quoting Ebay policy concerning forbidding the listing of counterfeits (On occasion successful ... as with this particular item - item was removed by seller and he sent me a msg indicating that he thought he was okay by stating it was a replica. After re-reading the policy, he realized he was in the wrong and removed it). Finally, if unsuccessful with these two strategies .... I wait until the auction is completed and the buyer has listed feedback for the item. I then send the buyer an email explaining that he bought a fake .... pointing out everything that makes it a fake. So far, this has been 100% successful, with respect to the buyer getting a refund on the item. Normally, it is higher dollar items I am following .... mainly CRKs .... but also like my Spydercos .... so often spot fakes while looking at and for them. Most recently (aside from this paramil) am waiting to contact a couple folks who were duped into buying counterfeit Umnumzaans (which regularly go on the counterfeit market for around $50) for several hundred dollars each!
-------------------------
My Knife Collection
(Updated 6/16/2016)

Dennis in PA
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

DRH wrote:Since I have the time ... I apply vigilance and persistence when spotting fakes like this .... and they are out there in great numbers. My routine is to first report the item to Ebay (Usually not very successful, since Ebay is in business to make money ... but, on occasion has worked). Next, I send a msg to the seller quoting Ebay policy concerning forbidding the listing of counterfeits (On occasion successful ... as with this particular item - item was removed by seller and he sent me a msg indicating that he thought he was okay by stating it was a replica. After re-reading the policy, he realized he was in the wrong and removed it). Finally, if unsuccessful with these two strategies .... I wait until the auction is completed and the buyer has listed feedback for the item. I then send the buyer an email explaining that he bought a fake .... pointing out everything that makes it a fake. So far, this has been 100% successful, with respect to the buyer getting a refund on the item. Normally, it is higher dollar items I am following .... mainly CRKs .... but also like my Spydercos .... so often spot fakes while looking at and for them. Most recently (aside from this paramil) am waiting to contact a couple folks who were duped into buying counterfeit Umnumzaans (which regularly go on the counterfeit market for around $50) for several hundred dollars each!
I, for one, am very impressed with your responsibility and the thoroughness of your approach to problem. We could use more people like you in all areas of consumerism :)
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shi ... 64292.html found this on ali express,... already with gimping, but the "g10" hahaha,... fail,... but they're getting scaring close!
aogami super blue dragonfly!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

100% chance of not buying a fake = buy from trustworthy places (like dealers)

With the exception of a select few (the Spin) fakers don't even copy discontinued models. That means nearly everyone that buys a fake instead of a current production model is cheap, impatient, or both.
Buckaloo

Post by Buckaloo »

I agree! It's best to pay to play. I'd rather pay 25% more than take the risk. My problem is I live in a rural area. Spyderco just isn't in any store. Atleast a one hour radius to the nearest dealer. Buying online is much easier. Driving a hour not knowing if they got my spyderco fix is a drag. Recently I bought from knifecenter.com. Online reviews where good. They shipped fast so the purchase process was quick. Just wish spyderco would post a list of legit online dealers.