Ali Express / Alibaba.com

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Bodog

Re: Ali Express / Alibaba.com

Post by Bodog »

When bad guys start telling the truth about what they're doing, then maybe law enforcement will be able to accurately and efficiently stop them. Imagine being one cop at a crime scene surrounded by a bunch of unassociated criminals who have their own crimes to conceal and a bunch of innocent people standing around getting in the way, everyone's lying, everyone's hostile. Could you easily find the guy who committed the crime you're currently investigating? Do you say screw it and throw your hands up? The longer it takes you to find the bad guy im that specific crime or to give up finding that guy the more other criminals get away with committing their crimes. It's a balancing act. Neglect your duties, overlook certain crimes, spend all your time chasing a bad guy who may or may not have known that he was even committing a crime to begin with, or go after someone you know HAS to know he's committed a crime in what short time you have before another case comes knocking at your door.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
vivi

Re:

Post by vivi »

uidyn wrote:en,,,thanks for sharing, but how do you know that? Have you bought one?
I'm pretty sure the liner lock Paramilitary 2 can be called a fake without purchasing one. Full non-nested liners, no spine jimping, different lock, suspiciously low price....yeah, I'm going to bet it's a fake :)
usar

Post by usar »

My question for Kristi or however would like to join in this question is this how are they able to copy a trademark I understand that China does this with knives all the time but gets away with it and I understand that it is another Country it is my opinion that someone prosecutes them for their garbage copies of knives that is why made in the USA is the way to go because you are getting quality and that is a fact ! Now I know the byrd line of knives are made to spyderco specs but I know people friends that are collector of knives that will produce knives in China and sell their knives for the price of a byrd knife and they are garbage !
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi usar,
It's a very complex problem. Put simply, our laws here do not necessarily apply in another country. You also have to be able to find the responsible party which can be quite difficult. One of the biggest things that must occur, in my opinion, to help with the counterfeit problem is consumers need to stop purposefully buying them. We know that a majority of the members here would never purposefully purchase a counterfeit, but there is a large group of consumers who do. Perhaps it comes down to education and a better understanding of not only the economic issues that it causes but also the personal risk involved in purchasing something that isn't held to the highest standards. There are many consumers who purchase products (not just knives) based upon the lowest price. Certainly for the majority of people in the world, the price is absolutely a factor. We all have a personal budget. But there has to be some consideration for the value of something. If I have a choice between "widget" A that costs $5 and "widget" B that is similar but only costs $1 I'm going to look at what the differences are and determine what value each offer me. If "widget" B breaks in a short amount of time or isn't functionally reliable am I really saving anything? I may have to save to buy the better value and I'm willing to wait and do just that. For many though there is a need for instant gratification - I have to have it now. It's that "now" that is really hurting all of us.

We take every legal step possible to defend our products and our reputation. However, so long as the value of an item is disregarded and so long as consumers choose to purchase products (any products) without knowledge in play - our battle is going to only get worse. Put simply, if people didn't purchase the counterfeits then there wouldn't be a market for them.

We're very proud of our factory and our makers that we partner with and we will continue to fight the good fight. But it's important to realize that the problem is much bigger than any law can contain.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Found a C91 that's not Pac Salt but a flipper with Eric's signature at the tang (not the usual place). On Aliexpress site.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-auth ... b64724a683
Chris :spyder:
Dutchy357

Post by Dutchy357 »

The pressure must be getting to Ali Express.

This listing: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sharpene ... -AqrBIUF6I

Includes the wording: Please note this is a imitated spyderco.

This is obviously Chineese Engrish for FAKE!

Dutchy
http://www.australianmilitaryknives.com/

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
Plato (427-347 BC)

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap."
Napoleon Bonaparte

"The danger is not that a particular class is unfit to govern: every class is unfit to govern."
Lord Acton (1834–1902)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Dutchy357 wrote:The pressure must be getting to Ali Express.

This listing: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sharpene ... -AqrBIUF6I

Includes the wording: Please note this is a imitated spyderco.

This is obviously Chinese Engrish for FAKE!

Dutchy
I don't even see a lock mechanism on these PM2 clones.At least the ad is honest, I don't much mind people selling fakes for cheap as fakes being fully transparent. Some of those knives aren't too bad. I have an imitation catherman I picked up at a flea market for like 5 bucks, and it's not too poor an imitation. Seems like it would be useful for the same purpose, though I intend to likely get the real thing for more money eventually.

I will always support the shutting down of any seller who deliberately misleads customers about fakes, and I will never promote a purveyor of fraudulent merchandise. It's good to see that lots of folks seem to feel the same way.
danielrob2015

Re:

Post by danielrob2015 »

darkstar29 wrote:
uidyn wrote:en,,,thanks for sharing, but how do you know that? Have you bought one?
Just look at the knives, man. They're terrible chimeras of Spydercos.. Obvious fakes.
I'm not saying they are not fakes but you can not always look at the picture. They use pictures of actual Spyderco's sometimes.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I just clicked that link... in addition to knives, it appears that spyderco makes broaches :)
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
remnar

Post by remnar »

Here's another site with a bunch of fakes and or close copies of Spydercos and others.

https://edcgear.us/collections/blades/p ... yderco-c94
Angryvet73

Post by Angryvet73 »

What I fail to understand is why don't copy right laws prevent what is clearly infringement of products from being sold in the US. I understand the concept of free market but when it's stated OEM and shows a Spyderco box(which from my eyes I can't tell a fake box from a real one) it is clearly an attempt to defraud or mislead the buyer. I have been a loyal customer of Spyderco for over twenty years but I needed to see for myself what this "clone" crap is about so since I already own a couple of the knives listed on these sites I ordered the clones, this is what I found:
1- the Spyderco bug was painted on the blade
2- torx screws were not concentric, the holes were lopsided
3- torx screws were so soft they stripped just changing the pocket clip
4- the holes that were drilled to accept the changing of the pocket clip were either stripped out, wrong diameter, or no threads
at all
5- bronze washers were not punched evenly, oblong holes and uneven thickness
6- lock up was more than 75% and unless you used two hands you couldn't get the blade to close
This all was with two knives!
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

If you're referring to Ali Express, then they're not being sold in the US. I think legally you would be buying in China and then importing.

Regarding your sample, assuming that we being passed off as genuine Spyderco, have you raised this with the supplier?
---------
Tony S
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Mason777 wrote:I couldn't afford a real PM2, so I turned to aliexpress, I've got to say it isn't bad but you can see straight away it isn't real, I'm working on getting enough money together for the real thing but may take a while :confused:
I also want a dragonfly 2 but again I have no money:(
Ive only just got into knives and started with a Lansky World Legal, however it bored me and I wanted to move onwards but unfortunately all my money is going in my training for the army so that's my priority but as soon as I get in ill be getting several real different models and I can't wait :D
But back to the copy PM2 as I said it isn't bad, has a bit of play and obviously isn't S30V but I only really bought it to play with at home.
But I'm really excited to own a real one :D
Welcome to the forum. If budget is an issue, you should check out Spyderco's value line, as well as their "Byrd" branded knives.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

They've certainly improved the clone problem on Alibaba. Searching "Spyderco" no longer brings up any results. I browsed their "pocket knife" section and glanced through the first ten pages of results, finding only a single clone (SS Poliwog) and a single karambit that has a round opening hole (but doesn't look like Spyderco's karambit).

Perhaps the clones are all still there and hiding, but normal searches no longer bring them up, making them far less accessible to the general public. Either way, it's nice not finding piles of fake Spydercos with a simple search.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
garret

Re:

Post by garret »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:04 pm
uidyn,
Welcome to the Spyderco Forum. I cannot tell you if we have purchased one or not. That is something our legal team handles. Just the same though, it is not necessary for us to buy one of anything from their site. We are the manufacturer, we can recognize a fake/copy quite easily. We have very loyal fans and we are very proud of what we do. We've spent over 33 years building our name and earning the reputation that we have. So when someone comes along and attempts to make a quick profit off of our hard work and our customer's loyalty to our name, we take that very seriously.

Kristi
Well said
KarlG

Post by KarlG »

Ugaarguy is correct that shipping fake products via US Mail is illegal. Treasury also can pull jurisdiction

Counterfeiting is far from being a victimless crime and our American Companies should expect and receive the full protection of their government.
:spyder: Karl
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

If the US goobermint cant stop the production or sales of fake American silver and gold eagles, how do you think they are going to stop them from faking or selling a $100 knife. The Perth Mint also has issues with fake gold bars on AE.
Caveot Emptor my friends
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

When people buy from Aliex/Alibaba or even fake vendors who run a brick and mortar store. 90% of the time. They know good and well their stuff is mostly fake / clone. And the majority of their business is from the masses who are not too concerned about fake vs real. Right vs wrong. The masses just want something that is cheap and cool.

I really don't want to hear the person did not know nor do I feel pity for the people who purposely buy fake knockoff stuff. There is entirely too much information and literature available today. To not educate yourself with some basic facts.

Then these fake product purchasers make a YouTube video hyping up their fake purchase to the masses. And then have the nerve to turn around and complain or blame the Government when we lose another USA based business that cannot stay afloat due to their cheap pricing and lack of copyright laws around the world that gives them basically unlimited power to continue their multi million dollar crooked operation.

Basically the fake industry exists because the majority of people couldn't care less about genuine products, businesses, and want something for a cheap price. They know good and well what they are buying is fake 90% of the time. Their worlds revolve around greed, keeping up with the Jonses, and jealousy that they cannot afford the legit thing. In the end it is businesses both USA based and overseas That pay the price for such careless and pathetic actions.

Heck I even see fake and knockoff phone cases, coins, sports memorabilia, sunglasses, electronics, stereos, cologne, and clothing sold in the local mall, some brick and mortar small businesses, thrift stores, vendors, Ebay, and Amazon.

As long as there is a multi billion dollar industry in knock offs. And nations such as China, India, and even some the USA. (To a lesser degree) Who prosper from this activity with no repercussions for their dishonest business ethic. There will never be a fix or stoppage to the fake industry. The only thing that will hamper this industry is people as a whole around the world developing a conscious. And having a change of heart as to quit purchasing this stuff for the sake of our few remaining businesses. Combined with tougher laws which are actually enforced to discourage the fake/knockoff industry. And more legit businesses offer more budget line products for those who cannot afford more expensive stuff.

And yes I know Spyderco offers budget priced products and my hat goes off to them. But many other companies of different product manufacturing don't. Which affects the poor and middle class. And drives some to buy a fake.
Until some real changes are made. There is no fixing this problem. And I quite frankly DO NOT see that happening or the fake/clone industry being stopped.

Fake/clone products goes back a few thousand years. And for those who speak against buying fakes and yet buy them for study or educational purposes. Even with good intentions. Your money is supplying the fake/clone industry as well as the masses. And those who support this crooked industry. I know you mean well and commend you for your efforts to expose crooked businesses. But there are other ways to combat this. I refuse to give clone/fake vendors one red cent.

The sad thing is there are even a few USA businesses and custom knife makers/other products who practice stealing and cloning others works. So that kind of leaves my country with less room to complain. When we have done the same. (To a lesser degree) to other designers.

Call me harsh or an a-hole. I know I speak truth.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

It’s a real conundrum when you have to make a decision buy a Byrd meadowlark in 8cr13mov @$35 or buy a firebird 759 in 440c @$18 , I bought a bunch of meadowlarks and was gifted a firebird
Lets just say 440c seems better edc it’s a shame
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

My only experience with Ali Express was sift order item from Ali pop up ad.

Doll for grand child, was came was not pictures.

Junk Cardinal prize with nothing. Credit Card dispute got her refund.

Most people would just kiss off, as amount was under $25.00.

Scammer know this so if they loose 15% of sales, they are rich by Chinese standards.