A Note from Spyderco's Legal Dept.

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
TazKristi

A Note from Spyderco's Legal Dept.

Post by TazKristi »

Friends,

Thank you for your continuing concerns regarding our infringement aggravations. Breaking my usual silence regarding our efforts, I felt it would be helpful to share an overview of what is happening in this corner of Spyderco’s world.

We recently completed a raid in China (w/ the requisite preparation, undercover visits, and involvement of local and “federal” Chinese authorities) netting computers, sales materials, distribution information and over 650 infringing units from one manufacturer alone. It seems to have done some good as we’ve subsequently begun to see a definable stream of k.o.’s with our logo’s having been photo-shopped to “appease” our complaints. This photo-shopped “stream” has defined the distributor/seller network which has been affected by our effort. We’ve initiated the planning and laying of the groundwork for subsequent raids, which will be combined with our third request to suspend hosting by an ISP. Two previous (US) ISP’s which we worked with were very cooperative, helpful and responsive. We hope to close a major import source as well as effect more damage to the manufacturing center of the infringing products with our next effort. We are not pie-eyed about our attempts. As we continue to devote increasing resources, we anticipate mixed results. Although we seriously doubt we can stop infringements from entering our little market, we believe we can inflict enough damage to get the participants in the manufacturing/distribution chain to cause a shift other products and industries. Enough complaints to E-bay, Alibaba, Deal Extreme, etc. and notices sent to Spyderco (so we can forward them as part of our complaints to international authorities as well as our own customs and import officials) will help turn the tide. Like the rest of our American system, the consumer/citizen will eventually determine the outcome of this nations’ challenges. Although we are significantly reserved about communicating our progress, the tide is incrementally swinging in our favor. Thank you again for your continued concern.

Best

Peter
Spyderco Legal
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Thanks Peter/Kristi, good luck with your efforts. Consequence is a good thing to have to keep others from attempting the same thing.

I hope you get a lot of cooperation and that things go your way.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Excellent news - particularly that you have had the cooperation of the Chinese authorities and have actually inflicted some set-backs on the ground, where these fakes are being made - well done to all concerned! :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Thanks for your efforts Spydercrew. Prosecuting wrongdoers is always a plus in my book.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Way to Go! Thanks for the update.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Excellent news. Thanks for sharing it with us Kristi. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Go GET EM!!!!!
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

Great news, but I'd like to hear some growling from our own government which has allowed this kind of counterfeiting to flourish with impunity.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Exclusivity!!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
P.S. Their counterfit & finish was never a threat.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

Good job Spyderco!! Now to just get the people behind the white box scandal at amazon.com and we'd be perfect
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

This is just one more reason why I am and will continue to be a committed customer of Spyderco. I understand the reasons why we the customer are not privy to "full disclosure" concerning active investigations, enforcement and litigations but truly appreciate the fact that you shared what you did. There a lot of companies that don't respect their customers enough to involve them to the extent that Spyderco does. Some companies use the "Mushroom theory" when considering the consumer. For me, I have always felt that Spyderco looks at their customers as part of their company.

Thank you,
Dan
:spyder:
Dan
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

well stated OldSar! +1 here.
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

Keep it up, guys! Well done!
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Good news, indeed. Good luck with future efforts.

Post by 224477 »

gives me a warm feeling that this subforum has sense. thanks for sharing. ;)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

This is great news. Everytime I see a fake up on Ebay it burns me up and I report it.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Way to go, Spyderco!
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

that's good to hear..or read i should say. :)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
sbwings

Post by sbwings »

Great job. Too bad you have to use so many of your precious resources to fight this. One reason why I only use reputable dealers. Thanks to those who keep their eyes open for counterfeits. Also, shows how popular Spydercos are.
A Whole Bunch of Spydies! :D
ICSK

Post by ICSK »

Just a suggestion: Educate the end line users as well. Include a section on commonly found counterfeits (perhaps under Edge-U-Cation?). Ideally, it'd be a wiki-style user maintained collection of knowledge (regarding counterfeits). I think the forum users here have more than demonstrated that they're capable and willing to help Spyderco in their efforts. Alternatively, it could just be a link to a thread detailing common fakes and a short description of why it's fake, what model it copies, etc. The only downsides are that it'd have to be constantly maintained by a moderator and would grow increasingly inconvenient as the forum format doesn't lend itself to quick-glance-reading (especially once the thread is very long)