Spyderco Solo

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Bradley

Spyderco Solo

Post by Bradley »

I'm a newby, but the box and lack of a hole throw me off. Correct me if I'm wrong? Fake?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPYDERCO-SOLO-RARE- ... 500wt_1069
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

I don't know much about the Solo models but they do exist and are real.
There are a number of these types of models that were distributed in Japan at least.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not a Spyderco, but not a fake either. They were made for, and sold by, Spyderco back in the 90's and were packaged in Spyderco boxes like the one shown in that listing.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I beg to differ, Deacon. These Solos *are* Spyderco knives - they just happen to be released under the Solo brand. If Sal says they are Spydercos, that's good enough for me! :cool:

The pouch and box look exactly like the three that I have from when they were originally released. I think this one is legit. Too bad it is fully serrated - I like the plain edged ones better.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

phillipsted wrote:I beg to differ, Deacon. These Solos *are* Spyderco knives - they just happen to be released under the Solo brand. If Sal says they are Spydercos, that's good enough for me! :cool:

The pouch and box look exactly like the three that I have from when they were originally released. I think this one is legit. Too bad it is fully serrated - I like the plain edged ones better.

TedP
That's your right, Ted. My contention is, and always will be, that if a knife does not say Spyderco somewhere on it then it's not a Spyderco knife. Just as, General Motors being the parent company of Chevrolet doesn't make the Corvette a GMC.

If you read my post carefully, I never said the Solo in that auction was not legit, or that the box was incorrect for it. I merely stated that it's not a Spyderco branded product. I'd say the same thing about a Ramco Laguiole, or a Byrd Raven, regardless of who might disagree. If any of those were really Spyderco knives, I would expect to find Spyderco's name, or :spyder: logo somewhere on them. Instead, Spyderco took the time and effort to create unique brand names and logos for them.

I suspect they had them branded the way they were to maintain a certain consistency within the Spyderco brand. Possibly even in anticipation of the day the round hole opener would shift from a patented device to a trademark. But, whatever the reason, calling them Spyderco knives, rather than knives manufactured for and sold by Spyderco would seem to go against it.

EDITED TO ADD: In the catalogs, the Solos, like the Byrds today, had a section all their own under the Solo brand, they were never integrated in with the Spyderco knives.
Paul
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I gotta say...that Solo is one nice looking knife. Though in SE...not as much.
On the hunt for...
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Thanks for the input guys. It's always nice to learn something about the brand. :)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Hey, Deacon - didn't mean to sound argumentative in my OP. :) As you may have seen, I'm a 24+ year customer of Sal's. I think I remember several different discussions over the past few years about the provenience of the Solo knives (flagged one below). Your email is 100% correct factually.

I guess I'm a bit biased - I bought several of the original SO01 and SO02 models when they were released, fell in love with them, and gave several away as presents over the years. Got a couple of the FRN and Button Lock versions too. All very interesting designs by Sal. Like you said, it is a matter of perspective...

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... light=solo

Sal discussed the origins of the Solo line on BF in 1999:

"There are not too many that have heard the "Solo" story. Probably a few of the crew that have been at Spyderco for more than 10 years and have watched from the beginning.

"Solo" was supposed to be a "follow up" design concept that was planned to follow Spyderco's pattern. Spyderco created and owns the "Solo" Trademark Brand. IT is a registered trademark.

All of the designs thus far were my own. (There is one design that was a collaboration).

The knife is essentially a "clip-less" gents folder that began in 1988. The first model was just under 2.5" in the blade. A "lobe" about 3/4" long extended from the spin of the blade out over the front side scale. The "Lobe" was used to "One hand open" the knife. We referred to them as "Lobe Openers".

Linerlock. Very thin, about 5/16". Solo (1) design had stainless bolsters and a very thin piece of black Micarta on one side with a pearl "Full Moon" inlaid into the micarta. The back side was white linen micarta with a "Red Sun" inlaid into the white micarta. The Logo mark is Fuji-san with a single bird. Nice piece. I think there were less than 50 made that way. too hard for production. One of the makers has rights to market them in Japan.

Then we went to black micarta on both sides. Made proably 500 of those. Still too hard to make in production, at least at the time.

"Solo Too" was longer. 3.5" blade but not thicker or higher, just longer. Don't think there are 500 of those. Also too hard.

Solo 3 was a light-weight version. nice but not rigid enough. As a matter of fact, we have recently figured out a way to "Make them right" and will bring those back out again. Solo 4 is an all stainles version that was made for Ironstone. I believe SFO has them now. Solo 5 is a "Button lock" that will be out next year.

We tried to sell them through normal distribution channels but the dealer base wouldn't support the line. We then made them an Ironstone exclusive. Ironstone closed up and Solo is currently an orphan. Not sure what we're going to do with them now.

I thought that Michelle had some plans for next year, but haven't had a chance to chat with her about it yet.

hope that helps

sal "

Anyway - we are getting off topic here. One of the mods is probably going to shoot me. I think we all agree that the knife currently on FleaBay is genuine! :rolleyes:

Cheers!
TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No problem Ted. I should have mentioned that both points of view have their followers, and there's really no "right" or "wrong" here, just a difference of opinion.

As for thread drift, from where I sit there really hasn't been any, just some insight being shared about the knife and brand in question.
Paul
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Should I delete this? Since I was incorrect?
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Bradley wrote:Should I delete this? Since I was incorrect?
Nope, no reason to delete threads after you have received a response. They will stay here and provide info for anyone else who may have the same question in their mind. :)