The only difference really is the price and the size

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
MountainManJim

The only difference really is the price and the size

Post by MountainManJim »

This line in the following auction cracked me up

http://cgi.ebay.com/Steel-Warrior-Spyde ... 3cb4872bc9

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Lol at the description. :D
This really demostrates the fact that Spydercos are really identified from the thumb hole. The guy obviously doesn't really know much about knives so he misleadingly mentions Spyderco hoping for someone to mistake it for one, even though he says it's a copy cat.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

The listing, "Details" line one about it all up:

" Name ( Steel Bandit ) "
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ah well, at least it doesn't say Spyderco anywhere on it, doesn't violate any of Spyderco's trademarks, and the seller isn't claiming it to actually be a Spyderco. Gotta love the "tested 55 to 58 Rockwell" sticker. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we didn't really get excited about a steel until the Rc numbers were close or greater than 60. The hardness for the knife in question seems a little low.

I do find it's interesting that the picture implies that the hardness of each knife is tested for hardness; there’s a small dot from the tester. I would believe that if the value on the sticker was handwritten. But, I think that it would be an exciting new standard for all production knives. Imagine getting your new knife with a little test report of the actual hardness measured by the manf. QA dept.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MountainManJim wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we didn't really get excited about a steel until the Rc numbers were close or greater than 60. The hardness for the knife in question seems a little low.

I do find it's interesting that the picture implies that the hardness of each knife is tested for hardness; there’s a small dot from the tester. I would believe that if the value on the sticker was handwritten. But, I think that it would be an exciting new standard for all production knives. Imagine getting your new knife with a little test report of the actual hardness measured by the manf. QA dept.

Jim
Legitimate makers have used stickers like that, the "assumption" being that all blades were tested and any that were too soft to fall into the specified range would have been discarded. Whether you consider Frost a legitimate maker or not is a personal decision. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

The Deacon wrote: Whether you consider Frost a legitimate maker or not is a personal decision. ;)
:p A Frost was my first pocket knife that I bought. As a young, working class kid, it seemed to all I could afford at the mall knife retailer. I remember not understand how the prices of the expensive knives could be justified. It's too bad I didn't have anyone or an internet to explain the ways of quality knives to me at the time. I'm not sure I was ever able to get or keep the Frost lockback sharp. Funny how things change with edgeucation.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I just found this on ebay too and came here to post about it, but MountainManJim beat me to it. If it's really a "copy cat option to the Spyderco Police design," then they did a piss-poor job copying it, as it looks nothing like the Police model.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
araneae

Post by araneae »

Looks like you can polish a turd.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

araneae wrote:Looks like you can polish a turd.
They proved that on mythbusters (seriously) :p

That is pretty hilarious..it looks nothing like a Police model. One thing that's concerning is it doesn't look like a big enough handle for a good grip, and look at the choil..pretty dangerous. Looks like the choil is there to guide your finger into the edge lol