Spyderco knock off or fake?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Onionman

Spyderco knock off or fake?

Post by Onionman »

Saw this on ebay the other day. Looks a lot like a spyderco rookie but is being sold under the "Navy" brand right from China. Not sure if this is considered an actual "fake" or if it's just a cheap legal knock off. I would imagine that the trademark spyderco hole would make it an illegal fake.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely not a Spyderco. Aside from the name, the other tip offs that it's not a Rookie are the size (it's too big) and the 50/50 choil, which the Rookie does not have. I'd call it a blend of a Police style blade and a Byrd G-10 Cara Cara style handle. As you noted, at the very least the round hole opener is a violation of Spyderco's trademark.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
fast.ed

E-Bay Navy 440c knife

Post by fast.ed »

Was wondering if its really 440C steel such as American manufactures use.
araneae

Post by araneae »

fast.ed wrote:Was wondering if its really 440C steel such as American manufactures use.
Its hard to take a company that deals in knock offs as reliable. Whether or not its real 440C, its highly derivative of Spyderco's products. The handle looks like a straight copy of the Cara Cara. The blade is a rip-off of the Police/Rookie. Is the 440C really 440C? Who knows?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal