Strange gray box

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
rycen

Strange gray box

Post by rycen »

Take a look at the gray box in this auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/new-box-real-spyder ... 3363f0f1ca

Seems odd??
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Just a bit. Just checked through close to 100 of 'em, and I don't have a single one with Spyderco's name and the other writing on top, it's always on the side. Still, that's only 100 out of God only knows how many, so there's still a chance that at least one batch were printed that way.

As for the 'Rench itself, pics are too small to show good detail, but there's a couple things that look a bit odd there too. Mine does not have the pin? I circled in yellow on the photo of the closed view, and it looks like the writing on the blade runs lengthwise in the open view.
Attachments
spyde_rench_1.jpg
spyde_rench_1.jpg (11.01 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rycen

Post by rycen »

I thought the spyderwrench looked a little off as well but I was not sure if because of the box if I was looking for things that weren't there. I have quite a few of the gray boxes as well and none are like that. I seem to remember a box like that in one of the fake volpe threads.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

We could always send him a message asking both to see the side of the box(label side) and where the box was acquired.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

i checked about 50 of my old boxes and none have that :confused:

sharp eye rycen!
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The "pin" is the new magnetic bit holder on the second generation (AUS 8) 'Rench. The other spot noted is probably oil. It is in line with the edge of the handle when the blade is closed. I admit the box looks a bit odd to me, though.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

yablanowitz wrote:The "pin" is the new magnetic bit holder on the second generation (AUS 8) 'Rench. The other spot noted is probably oil. It is in line with the edge of the handle when the blade is closed. I admit the box looks a bit odd to me, though.
Ok, that makes sense, but I don't recall when the 2nd Gen 'Renches shipped, but it seems like it was only a couple years ago, so the question becomes whether they ever shipped in a grey box, or if they fell into the era of the newer red/black box.
Paul

Post by 224477 »

Havent seen counterfeit/fake Spyderco tool yet. I think its genuine.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The Deacon wrote:Ok, that makes sense, but I don't recall when the 2nd Gen 'Renches shipped, but it seems like it was only a couple years ago, so the question becomes whether they ever shipped in a grey box, or if they fell into the era of the newer red/black box.
I don't know, the only second gen 'Renches I have were factory seconds, so no boxes. They were Taiwan made, and I don't have any grey boxes from Taiwan to check.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

yablanowitz wrote:I don't know, the only second gen 'Renches I have were factory seconds, so no boxes. They were Taiwan made, and I don't have any grey boxes from Taiwan to check.
Well, I have a grey box from a Salsa, although I never owned one (eBay seller sent right knife in wrong box) and it's the same as all my other grey boxes. Plus, AFAIK all Spyderco knives with the exception of those intended for the Japanese "home market" are boxed in Golden after going through QC.
Paul
Donut

Post by Donut »

I got a SE ZDP endura in a gray box. I checked it and it doesn't have spyderco next to the logo.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

I sent him a message via ebay.

Lets wait for an response.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

ALL my gray boxes have the Spyder on top like that, but NONE have the word "Spyderco" on top, as is shown in those pics.
16 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hard call. Could be that, if the 'Rench was in production during the shift to the red/black boxes, Spyderco was "cleaning house" and used some grey boxes that had been put off to one side because the printer had messed up and printed the items normally found on the one side panel on top.
Paul
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

The Deacon wrote:Just a bit. Just checked through close to 100 of 'em, and I don't have a single one with Spyderco's name and the other writing on top, it's always on the side. Still, that's only 100 out of God only knows how many, so there's still a chance that at least one batch were printed that way.

As for the 'Rench itself, pics are too small to show good detail, but there's a couple things that look a bit odd there too. Mine does not have the pin? I circled in yellow on the photo of the closed view, and it looks like the writing on the blade runs lengthwise in the open view.
Deacon, my Spydi-Rench has that "Pin", its actually a magnet that holds the bit in place in the screwdriver.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

I asked him this "Hello, I am interested in your Spyderco but would like to know where the gray spyderco box was purchased. Unfortunately the box raises suspicious as on over 100 gray boxes that have been looked at none have BOTH the spyder logo and spyderco name. Also, could you take another detailed picture of the wrenches blade. -Thank you " on 1-6-11(Thursday)

Today 1-10-11(Monday)he gave me the very detailed response of "i dont know the answer to this question sorry"
rycen

Post by rycen »

sal
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Possible he got it from the seller on ebay....
Come Join Us Click Here