What is this thing?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
wsdavies

What is this thing?

Post by wsdavies »

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

Its a Gunting Knockoff.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

How can you tell?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Actually, it looks like a legit Gunting to me. Has a compression lock, while all the fakes I've ever seen have Walker style liner locks. Has what appears to be the correct "spoon" clip which was unique to the Gunting and which none of the fakes I've seen have. The early Guntings were 440V, and came in PE as well as PS and S, so the steel and edge type seem appropriate too.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
marknett

Post by marknett »

This is a Spyderco CPM 440V folding knife. The knife measures 5" closed and 8" open. The blade has not been sharpened but has a few small use marks (hard to even see). No pitting on the blade. It's in nice condition. The blade is stamped Spyderco Golden, Colorado U.S.A. CPM 440V.

It stamped on the blade . Probably not fake ?????
"When Life feeds you Lemons , Pucker up and Quit Whining"

Mark
"Black" Delica 4 vg-10 (SG)
"S.S." Byrd Meadowlark 8Cr13MoV (SG)
"S.S." Grasshopper CR13 (FFG)
"Blue" Stretch 2 ZDP-189 (FFG)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

marknett wrote:This is a Spyderco CPM 440V folding knife. The knife measures 5" closed and 8" open. The blade has not been sharpened but has a few small use marks (hard to even see). No pitting on the blade. It's in nice condition. The blade is stamped Spyderco Golden, Colorado U.S.A. CPM 440V.

It stamped on the blade . Probably not fake ?????
Unfortunately, having the correct markings is not always proof of authenticity.

http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... ostcount=3

Third knife down is a fake Gunting with those markings. However, note the fact it's a liner lock. Clip is also wrong, although that can't really be seen in that photo. Its the "garden variety" Spyderco 3 screw clip found on most larger models made from the early 80's to '05 or so.

There are also fake black G-10 UKPK's out there with totally "authentic" markings - steel, country of origin, even the :spyder: logo. If the folks making that one had remembered to cut clip grooves on both sides, it would be impossible to spot as a fake until you got your hands on it. As is, it's fooled more folks here than any other knock off. See third knife down http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... ostcount=1.
Paul
marknett

Post by marknett »

wow thats scary that someone would go to that much trouble to scam you .
That third down knife would have fooled me , definitely looks like a spyderco . the others would have thrown up a warning flag
"When Life feeds you Lemons , Pucker up and Quit Whining"

Mark
"Black" Delica 4 vg-10 (SG)
"S.S." Byrd Meadowlark 8Cr13MoV (SG)
"S.S." Grasshopper CR13 (FFG)
"Blue" Stretch 2 ZDP-189 (FFG)
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

The Deacon wrote:Unfortunately, having the correct markings is not always proof of authenticity.

http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... ostcount=3

Third knife down is a fake Gunting with those markings. However, note the fact it's a liner lock. Clip is also wrong, although that can't really be seen in that photo. Its the "garden variety" Spyderco 3 screw clip found on most larger models made from the early 80's to '05 or so.

There are also fake black G-10 UKPK's out there with totally "authentic" markings - steel, country of origin, even the :spyder: logo. If the folks making that one had remembered to cut clip grooves on both sides, it would be impossible to spot as a fake until you got your hands on it. As is, it's fooled more folks here than any other knock off. See third knife down http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... ostcount=1.
If you have a suspect black G-10 UKPK in your hands, look at the grinding on the pivot surfaces of the blade. They are crudely finished in contrast to the rest of the knife, especially the opening detents. The crappy grinding screams, "Not a Spyderco." The opening action feels like an indistinct series of bumps. A real Spyderco has distinct stops at 90 degrees and fully open.

The clip wire is not very stiff either.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Is it like an Emerson opener?
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If we are back to the original knife, the horn on the Gunting is designed as a striking tool as well as for opening the blade. There seems to be an entire martial art built around the knife, and from what I've read here, without the proper training you are likely to hurt yourself with it.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

wsdavies wrote:Is it like an Emerson opener?
EDITED TO ADD - Yab beat me to it.

Not exactly. The Gunting is designed for kinetic opening, but not when it's being drawn from the pocket. If nothing else, it's tip down only carry configuration would preclude that. One needs to understand that the Gunting is not a knife, or at least not "just a knife". It's a highly specialized "continuum of force" self defense tool that includes a knife blade as well as several projections intended to inflict pain. The "pyramid" around the Spyderhole can be used against pressure points while the the Gunting is still closed, then raked against the opponents body to open it if they persist in being non-compliant.
Paul
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

I retract my comment. I was not aware that the Gunting was originally stamped in 440
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

so it was real?
<--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES
PostalGlockn

Post by PostalGlockn »

THE PUNISHER wrote:so it was real?
I sure the **** hope so, I just won it!

I feel confident it is real, the compression lock and spoon clip along with the sellers good feedback sure have me hoping I'm not getting burnt. I have been burnt by the fake UKPK though. :(

I'll give more insight once it arrives.
DemskeetSkeet

Post by DemskeetSkeet »

PostalGlockn wrote:I sure the **** hope so, I just won it!

I feel confident it is real, the compression lock and spoon clip along with the sellers good feedback sure have me hoping I'm not getting burnt. I have been burnt by the fake UKPK though. :(

Please do!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

PostalGlockn wrote:I sure the **** hope so, I just won it!

I'm as confident as one can be based on only photographs and seller feedback that it is genuine. But, as you noted, there's at least one Spyderco model out there that's been cloned well enough to fool people till they get their hands on it. Do let us know how this one plays out.
Paul
dialex

Post by dialex »

I am pretty sure it's a legit Gunting myself.
From what I have seen, they no longer bother to improve the Gunting clone, but rather they copy the LLC = Bram's updated version of the Gunting, made in China by the German brand Cherusker Messer.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:EDITED TO ADD - Yab beat me to it.

Not exactly. The Gunting is designed for kinetic opening, but not when it's being drawn from the pocket. If nothing else, it's tip down only carry configuration would preclude that. One needs to understand that the Gunting is not a knife, or at least not "just a knife". It's a highly specialized "continuum of force" self defense tool that includes a knife blade as well as several projections intended to inflict pain. The "pyramid" around the Spyderhole can be used against pressure points while the the Gunting is still closed, then raked against the opponents body to open it if they persist in being non-compliant.
I think it must be one of the dumbest looking blades i've ever seen, but this does make me appreciate its form following function purpose a lot more.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PostalGlock'n

Post by PostalGlock'n »

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

It is a real Gunting.

I don't know if I would agree with the "nice condition" in the description. It had been used hard and was dirty as could be, but after taking it completely apart, cleaning and sharpening, it's great.
My Addiction:
P'Kal
Chinook 3
Military S30V
Manix C95
Yojimbo Blue
Police SS
Endura SS "waved"
Lum Tanto VG-10
Viele I
Tim Zowada
Terzuola Starmate