Worst Fake on Ebay FAIL!

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

That is so sad - some sucker bought it for $44.00 and now has a cheap Chinese rip-off that it probably worth a couple of bucks (maximum) and thinks that they own a Spyderco. When it breaks or the blade goes dull after a few uses they'll probably think that Spyderco knives are rubbish and avoid buying the real thing ... that's why this kind of thing must be stopped. :(

The overly defensive attitude of the seller says a lot to me too - if at least 2 people politely tell you that it is a fake and you can't even be bothered to check it on the Spyderco site then ... go figure. :rolleyes:
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

SerratedSpydie wrote:I also sent the seller a message, saying basically the same thing as Dagon said and this is the response:

"weard i bought it from smokey mtn knife works in tenn, u are the 2nd person to tell me its a fake, and funny hes from GA to, i contacted ebay via phone and they told me about this scam trying to get me to go to other web sites i have contacted local police like ebay told me, im trying to make a living, so go scam some one else, and dont bid on my knife. and im reporting this email aswell."

Kind of bizzare to say the least.
Well, there's an easy answer to that - give him the Spyder Wiki page or the Spyderco catalogue pages and ask him to go find his knife on 2 completely independent and reputable web resources on Spyderco knives. My guess is that he won't care and he is just happy to get $44 for a knife that cost him a few bucks. All this about buying from "smokey mtn knife works" is just rubbish - if he had bought a genuine knife from them he would be gutted that it only sold for $44 because he'd be out of pocket ... and he would have set at least a minimum bid.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ChrisR wrote:Well, there's an easy answer to that - give him the Spyder Wiki page or the Spyderco catalogue pages and ask him to go find his knife on 2 completely independent and reputable web resources on Spyderco knives. My guess is that he won't care and he is just happy to get $44 for a knife that cost him a few bucks. All this about buying from "smokey mtn knife works" is just rubbish - if he had bought a genuine knife from them he would be gutted that it only sold for $44 because he'd be out of pocket ... and he would have set at least a minimum bid.
Agree with most of what you said Chris, but be aware that SMKW is not one of the more highly principled dealers out there. In addition to decent knives, they sells a ton of cheap knockoffs, so the person listing that knife may very well have gotten it from them. I'd bet the seller already knew it wasn't genuine and I'm sure he's happy with the selling price, doubt he paid more than $5 for it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Ahh, enough said then ... perhaps (in both cases) it is just explained by saying "a fool and their money are easily parted"? ;)
dpsmith

Post by dpsmith »

Well I have to say I am a bit shocked how the auction ended. $44 for a terrible fake. :confused: The high bidder had 500+ feedback all positive. :eek: +1 fools and their money
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

"Spyderco knife nice knife never sharped or carried like new no case, has flip open blade that opens really quicky great knife."

Pfft I don't know why you guys think this is fake. This exact product description was taken right off of the Spyderco website.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Here's another really bad "fake", although this time the seller is in China

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Spyderco-Collec ... 230c00d26f
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

The Deacon wrote:Here's another really bad "fake", although this time the seller is in China

Agree, thumb stud??? :mad: Reported to eBay.

Looks like Spyderco isn't the only brand seller jewelry4man2010 is stealing.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

The Deacon wrote:Here's another really bad "fake", although this time the seller is in China

I reported it to and sent the seller an email. They don't care. They know they are selling a POS.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Looks like this gut is an equal opportunity scammer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0525235828

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

liveit_loud on Ebay.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Here's the smartass answer I got back from him:
strange i bought 7 of them from smokey moutain knife works a few years back and it has spyderco on blade and handle, smokey mtn knife works is 1 of the biggest knife sellers in usa so its a spyderco.
Well gee, if smokey mtn knife works says it's a Spyderco, then it must be a Spyderco! roflmao!
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

so its a spyderco.
Well, guess that settles it then. Where's a vomit smilie when you need one.

liveit_loud on Ebay.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I'm guessing, from the fact that the seller in based in Hong Kong, that they know exactly what those knives are ... because they bought them from a local dealer of cheapo, rubbish Chinese knives and they're just picking the name "Smokey Mountain Knife Works" just because it seems to be a popular website in the US and it makes a good enough cover story to dupe most gullible eBay buyers. :rolleyes:
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I do believe they know what they are selling. You know if you and I sent an email, I'm sure others did as well.

liveit_loud on Ebay.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Yeah, I sent him back a smartass reply to his smartass answer and said basically that it was nice that he knows more about these knives than the folks that make them (Spyderco).

Then I added a link to the catalog.

He probably WON'T take the hint, considering his attitude.
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123

Interesting. I sent an email and got this response.

jewelry4man2010????

Do you know that the knife in your listing is not a Spyderco but a cheap knock off that has been going around. I have reported this listing as well as contacted Sal Glesser the owner of Spyderco.

- liveit_loud

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear liveit_loud,

Hi, Sir,

Thanks for your reminding, we will never sell this knife anymore in the future,thanks again,
Regards

- jewelry4man2010

Reminding him of what! That it's a fake and he forgot that it was a fake.

liveit_loud on Ebay.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Yeah, but he still has it up. Reported - on the off chance that if they get enough reports on it, they might actually check it.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

bohica1998 wrote:Yeah, but he still has it up. Reported - on the off chance that if they get enough reports on it, they might actually check it.
Yeah I noted that it was still up. He did put my remark at the bottom of the listing though. Still, he should end it.

liveit_loud on Ebay.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Bluntrauma wrote:Still, he should end it.
LOL! Yeah, especially since by acknowledging and leaving your question in the auction he is publicly admitting it's a fake!