Meyerco Wharning

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
JohnAPA

Meyerco Wharning

Post by JohnAPA »

a/k/a the Clonin?

spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I think Dirk Pinkerton would be a little upset with your allegation. ;)

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=49
http://www.dirkpinkerton.com/pview.php?pr=36

It's a wharncliffe fixed blade, other than that it doesn't share any design cues with the Ronin. I wouldn't call it a clone or knockoff, just a design seeking to fulfill a similar role.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

spoonrobot wrote:I think Dirk Pinkerton would be a little upset with your allegation. ;)

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=49
http://www.dirkpinkerton.com/pview.php?pr=36

It's a wharncliffe fixed blade, other than that it doesn't share any design cues with the Ronin. I wouldn't call it a clone or knockoff, just a design seeking to fulfill a similar role.
I actually may buy one. They're only $25.00. :)

Post by 224477 »

I dont think this is a knock off or something, you have a dozen of simillar wharnie stuff out there. Dirk Pinkerton makes cool knives, imo.. His design doesnt deserve to be here in the 'awareness' section.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It seems ever since Michael Janich started looking at the tactical purposes of the modified wharncliffe blade they have been popping up all over. Some done well, some absolute garbage.

Much like the Lum Tanto or the Perrin Finger hole (unless I'm wrong on the Perrin note), people have constantly "borrowed" innovations for new knives.

IMHO if you "borrow" a design you should be required to at least pay homage to the creator or person who gave it life in modern society. This is a very idealistic perspective and if true Cold Steel owes a ton of money to Mr. Lum's estate, Lol.
Dodo

Post by Dodo »

Hello, everyone.

I am Dirk Pinkerton, the designer of Wharning. No, I did not copy this design from Michael Janich's Ronin. This knife was one of the first designs I made. In fact, it took me almost a year between 02 and 03 to finish it. The initial concept was about the handle. I have small hands and was working on something for me. The blade started out to be more of a clever. I didn't like the look. I had recently seen a seax for the first time and that was what made me decide to clip the blade like a wharncliffe. I carried this knife for personal use until Meyerco asked to see my designs. I sent this knife with several others. This was in 2008. This is the first time someone actually said the Wharning looks like the Ronin, aside from being a wharncliffe.

I am a long time collector and recent maker. I am very aware of the sensitive nature about a makers design. So much so, when I started making my Variable line, I contacted Fred Perrin to make sure he had no problems with my designs. He didn't see any issues. I have nothing but the utmost respect for both Michael Janich and Spyderco. I am sorry if some view the Wharning as a copy.

If anyone has any questions , I can be reached through my website.
http://Www.dirkpinkerton.com

Thank you,

Dirk
Dodo

Post by Dodo »

OOPS! Dreaded double post!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Dirk, Nice to see you here commenting on the design. I like the design and have been eying up a few of your little collabs with Meyerco.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

araneae wrote:Dirk, Nice to see you here commenting on the design. I like the design and have been eying up a few of your little collabs with Meyerco.
+1 I really like them and plan on buying the smaller fixed blades, perticularly the thumb drive, variable claw, and variable broadhead. Nice work!
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Dirk, you have some cool knives on your site, congratulations and thanks for sharing.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for sharing and the history lesson on the Wharning. I had no clue it's been in the works so long.

Congrats on your current models as they all look very interesting. No offense intended in my previous response.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Dirk:

Thank you very much for taking the time to post and share insights on your design. Great minds often think alike and I'm always glad to meet another wharncliffe aficionado.

Interestingly, when your Meyerco knife first came out, Steve Dick and a number of other folks e-mailed me wanting to know my involvement in the project. I explained that I had none, and didn't understand why they would think I did. Then I saw Meyerco's SKU for the knife, which starts with "MJ." I know it was just a coincidence (Mike Manrose confirmed that), but it was kinda funny.

Best of luck on all your designs and continued success in all you do.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Dodo

Post by Dodo »

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I was not offended by the inference that the Wharning might be a copy. As I said, I understand how these things are viewed. My concern was offending Mike and Spyderco.

Mike,

Thank you. I hope I get the chance to meet you and talk with you at Blade this year. I will be sharing some space at Darrel's booth.

Thanks again.

Dirk
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

I bought a Myerco knife and ground down the edge so that I could use it as a trainer. I cut off the tip and rounded it, and it works great! I'm looking toward buying another for use as utility knife so that I can get more time with this design in my hand while Ronin waits on my belt. This general design is awesome and IMO seriously overlooked.

Can the proprietor please tell what is the blade metal and what is the grind? Mine is completely altered in my shop. Want to know if this will hold an edge enough to make it practical?
Dodo

Post by Dodo »

John

The steel on the Wharning is going to be an aus6 or 7cr. I have reground a wharning down to a very then edge, approx. .005" and the tip was surprising tough. It flexed with some mderate pressure and returned to shape. So far, it is holding it's edge. I haven't put it through a torture test, just moderate cutting around the shop..cardboard, tape etc. The grind is a high flat grind. It's good to hear it is serving you well as a trainer. I think you will like it for utility.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

It is wonderful when positive communication takes place. Thanks for jumping in Mike and Dirk.

Cheers.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:It is wonderful when positive communication takes place. Thanks for jumping in Mike and Dirk.

Cheers.
Our pleasure! That's the way we do things on the Spyderco forums. If you treat every post like a face-to-face conversation, people tend to be polite and professional--just the way we like it.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts