Another weird eBay find...

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
LorenzoL

Another weird eBay find...

Post by LorenzoL »

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

What makes it weird? PS Shabaria, not the most common Spyderco, but looks legit to me. Pitting is probably rust that was cleaned up.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

I did not know this model but it seems neither does the seller... I mean, the title of his listing is: "Spyderco Knife for a Smaller Hand". That cracked me up when I saw it.
whkento

Post by whkento »

Cool lookin' knife, but not one I'd spend $150 for... esp. w/ the pitting.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

LorenzoL wrote:I did not know this model but it seems neither does the seller... I mean, the title of his listing is: "Spyderco Knife for a Smaller Hand". That cracked me up when I saw it.
They'd probably get a better draw with the proper name in the title. Shabarias generally sell pretty well and they're currently aren't any listed under their correct model name on eBay right now.

But it's true, the Shabaria is actually best sized for a very small hand. IIRC the original concept was a larger folder similar in size to the Military. I would bet the smaller size was an economical choice, being that it was an early ethnic design. I do feel that the original concept would have made a better overall knife and would love to see a prototype if there was ever one built.

http://knivesinhand.blogspot.com/2009/04/shabaria.html
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

LorenzoL wrote:I did not know this model but it seems neither does the seller... I mean, the title of his listing is: "Spyderco Knife for a Smaller Hand". That cracked me up when I saw it.
Nothing new there, did you notice the auction for a yellow Atlantic Salt with molded FRN clip. :eek: :rolleyes: :D (we really need a facepalm smiley)
whkento wrote:Cool lookin' knife, but not one I'd spend $150 for... esp. w/ the pitting.
Quite agree, a PS one, dead mint, in the proper box might bring that on a good day. Between the pits, that rather disturbingly deep looking detent ball track on the right side of the blade, it being PS, and the fact there's no box, I'd call it overpriced.
spoonrobot wrote:They'd probably get a better draw with the proper name in the title. Shabarias generally sell pretty well and they're currently aren't any listed under their correct model name on eBay right now.
True, but the starting price might still keep interest minimal given the factors I mentioned above.
Paul
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

I just scored a plain edge one of these in mint condition from a local gun shop, the box is even mint too, ill be slapping it on ebay shortly

one question though. the number is higher than 200. are all these numbered ? how many were made ?
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

RIOT wrote:one question though. the number is higher than 200. are all these numbered ? how many were made ?
I don't think they're all numbered. Maybe a custom engraving? Quite a bunch were produced, the knife was in production for two years or so.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RIOT wrote:I just scored a plain edge one of these in mint condition from a local gun shop, the box is even mint too, ill be slapping it on ebay shortly

one question though. the number is higher than 200. are all these numbered ? how many were made ?
The number is probably legitimate. When the Shabaria was made, Spyderco was still numbering the entire first batch of all collaboration models. There was more than one batch of Shabarias made, in fact there are even two versions of it, one with a backspacer, one with stand offs. Hard to say exactly how many of them were produced.
Paul
v8r

Post by v8r »

Well guys I purchased the knife in question by making the seller a offer,and he took it.It is a very nice knife, and no the marks on the blade are not pitting.It is something in the grain structure of the metal.The markings end right where the hollow grind starts.The blade still has the factory edge.The seller was very honest about the condition of it unlike the great majority of ebay sellers.I am completely satisfied with the purchase.This is the first knife that I ever bought that I consider to be a work of art,because lets be honest the blade is so thin and the lock surface is so small that I don't believe the knife would take much of a beating.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

V8r , post pics please. Ill post some pics of the new one i have just picked up too

Deacon, so if the one i have is numbered i take it as a first run one but i dont understand the spine part, little confused on what exactly the differences are, hoping you can show

Riot
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Look at the fourth picture of this thread for a photo of the difference between the models with standoffs and the ones with a backspacer. Also note the screwed vs. pinned construction. As I understand it the screwed construction is later and may also be indicative of some other additions such as the eccentric pivot. Although I couldn't find confirmation if this was actually ever added to the knife?

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30506

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... t=Shabaria
The eccentric pivot has proved to be an asset as has the offset arc ramp. Both of these are planned, but require new tooling.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

spoonrobot wrote:Look at the fourth picture of this thread for a photo of the difference between the models with standoffs and the ones with a backspacer. Also note the screwed vs. pinned construction. As I understand it the screwed construction is later and may also be indicative of some other additions such as the eccentric pivot. Although I couldn't find confirmation if this was actually ever added to the knife?

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30506

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... t=Shabaria
took me a couples times to read this and look at the pics but i finally got it, the one i have has a back spacer with pins.

Thank you

I never knew their was so much involved with this model, pretty cool
v8r

Post by v8r »

I have a picture posted up of it on spydietalk right now. :) As to the eccentric pivot on older models that lots of people claim were on a lot of older spydercos.....I have yet to see one.I have several older models,and haven't found a adjustable pivot on one yet. :confused:
V8R

RIOT

Post by RIOT »

heres the one i found on saturday
Attachments
DSC02496.jpg
DSC02496.jpg (87.14 KiB) Viewed 3281 times
v8r

Post by v8r »

Nice my brother, I would hang on to that. :) Here's mine.
Attachments
Shabaria.jpg
Shabaria.jpg (104.16 KiB) Viewed 3255 times
V8R

RIOT

Post by RIOT »

yours looks good too, the longer i keep this knife the more i wont sell it, i havent sold any of my Spydercos yet, only trades sofar