Spyderco Knock-offs, "Replicas"and Fakes

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
TazKristi

Spyderco Knock-offs, "Replicas"and Fakes

Post by TazKristi »

As most of you know, the growing number of Spyderco-like knock-offs, "replicas" and fakes is a problem.

As Sal says, 'tis a PITA.

As a small company it’s not possible to have someone on staff searching for these things. You are a key part of our awareness. Your efforts are appreciated more than we can express.

In an attempt to consolidate the information, all posts alerting the forum to Spyderco-like products (knock-offs, “replicas” and fakes) will be moved to this new sub-forum.

Please post any new threads regarding knock-offs, etc. here.

This will not only help us, but it will help new members become Edge-U-cated on the problem.

Thanx Much! :spyder:
There is nothing more important than this one day.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

if you ever to want see all (or almost all the fake ones) just go to the chinese ebay...i typed in spyderco in the search and 2100 items popped up...the real ones have a much higher price

http://search.eachnet.com/search/c3B5ZGVyY28=--0-2.html
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

No problem Kristi, anything to help y'all keep on top of things.

Post by 224477 »

Thanks for creating this subforum Kristi, was about time!
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Excellent idea for a subforum.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I've been trying. Whenever I see one that doesn't look right, I usually sound off.

(Of course, I sometimes goof too. How was I to know the Assist has a "crack" built into it, hehe?)

A possible candidate for this sub-forum?

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576
14 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14PBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

It's not a knock-off, but it is false advertising.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-Firefly-NE ... 7C294%3A50

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
tonydahose

more fakes

Post by tonydahose »

Rob found these but i didnt see that he posted it here so credit goes to him.

http://cgi.ebay.at/TACTICAL-POCKET-FOLD ... 1|294%3A30

http://cgi.ebay.at/NEW-STAINLESS-POCKET ... 2|294%3A30
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Waco

Post by Waco »

Is nothing safe from cheap copies? I'm used to seeing threads about fake wristwatches. Now we have to watch out for fake pocket knives? Personally, I avoid Ebay like the plague and stick to forums where fake sellers don't last long.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

waco kid wrote:Is nothing safe from cheap copies? I'm used to seeing threads about fake wristwatches. Now we have to watch out for fake pocket knives? Personally, I avoid Ebay like the plague and stick to forums where fake sellers don't last long.
Probably not, **** precious little anyway. I've heard tell they clone $15 SAKs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ms89glide

terzuola

Post by Ms89glide »

I noticed a c-15 on ebay, but it is a g-10 handle with plain edge. I don't think spyderco made this combination.
ms89glide
Fishstalker

Post by Fishstalker »

Here is a knock off Poliwog: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18078
It even comes with a spydie hole.

Or how about this knock off S Silver: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21376
:spyder:
Delica SE G-2
Ladybug
Tenacious
Centofante III
Centofante IV
Pacific Salt PE
Endura 4 PS
Delica ZDP-189 FFG
Para-Military 2 digi-camo
Para-Military 2 black
Pacific Salt SE
USN Catcherman
Sage 1
:spyder:
john row

Post by john row »

Particularly for Tazchristi, but please - I welcome any one to respond.

Does Spyderco pursue the perps now?

I've been out of circulation for awhile, but, it appears to me (IMHO) that this is still a problem more of rip offs of spydieholes, blade shapes, poor efforts at locking mechs,etc. As opposed to "professional" attempts at fooling people passing POS as real spydies. IE Stamping of "Seki Japan", "Spyderco", metal designations, etc. (patented stuff, but still not a serious attempt at counterfeiting. Just proprietary theft. Which is just as bad.

This seems to be a problem much the same as it was 10 or 12 years ago when I started buying Spyderco products. Can anyone who owns or has handled one real spydie (or Benchmade, Emerson, or other high quality products even Rolex for that matter) be fooled. I realize that people buy a lot "touch unfelt" but still a little research ...

And yes, I see that some novice could be fooled. Which IS a bad thing. I ask myself, whether that buyer who is attracted to a $6.00 look a like would spend the money for the real deal, anyway. IF there would come a time where he/she becomes enthusiastic enough to get the real thing, I believe he'll take time to research probably coming here.

Have there been any POS fakes sent in to SFO requesting warranty replacement or repair? Or even any lawsuits against Spyderco for a Fakes' failure of performance or safety?

There is no argument from me that knockoffs are bad. But it is mho that this is a "Caveat Emptor" situation. Aggravating, disgusting, but ...

Sal had a very laid back philosophy regarding this matter (or it seemed to me anyway) years ago. Has that changed? Spyderco / Mr Glesser gives credit / royalties to Ernie Emerson and Mr Boye, etc. He and his company have integrity, and honor.

Others don't.

Just my observations. Not arguing for or against anything. I can't remember an iota of what I used to know about Spydies. I came back to re learn and find out abut the stuff I missed.

Cheers,
John
Gee Mr Glesser, them sure are pretty knives!
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT DISCUSSION TO ME. very interested in it!
john why dont you move this to the "gen discus" area? this is def worthy of a long discussion among us. i am eager to know about such things as well...
imo sal is still really passive/laid back. but i would love to know the answers to those questions.
i was ripped off too on a tuffron civilian for $130 shipped. (great deal, right? i thought so too. :rolleyes: lol) got my money back though from ebay, which if you look has just recently changed there insurance policy to include every form of payment
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
john row

Post by john row »

Didn't mean to infer it wasn't important. It sounds like you exposed and were made "whole" again in your bad deal. (sorry for the "legal" like viewpoint).

I've been ripped too (though not on a knife) Exposed him, got reimbursed, and he/ she got banned from the auction site. It was a much larger scam and State Attorneys got involved (not Colorado) I wasn't the only victim. Others exposed him too.

In any event, it would be interesting to hear about warranty turn ins or liabilty concerns.
Gee Mr Glesser, them sure are pretty knives!
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

Waco

Post by Waco »

ssmtbracer wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-Tim-Zowada ... 3efe546b0f

I don't know about this one.
The odd position of hole made me think it was fake, but it looks just this one in the catalog. What good is the hole if you can't get to it when the knife is closed?

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=453
araneae

Post by araneae »

Not a fake, and the hole is accessible from the right hand side. When in doubt, check the spyderco.com catalog first.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
paulkelley42

best way to tell the difference

Post by paulkelley42 »

New to Spydercos. I bought a Tenacious online for EDC based on reviews. How can I determine if it's a clone? I would expect even an entry level knife to be sharp. It's not. It's far duller than some Kershaws, SOGs and even cheap $10 CRKTs. Thanks.

Post by 224477 »

paulkelley42 wrote:New to Spydercos. I bought a Tenacious online for EDC based on reviews. How can I determine if it's a clone? I would expect even an entry level knife to be sharp. It's not. It's far duller than some Kershaws, SOGs and even cheap $10 CRKTs. Thanks.
Post a pic and we will tell you.
The dullness can be individual feeling in comparison to other knives. I would not worry about that, make it sharp.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."