Spyderco Knock-offs, "Replicas"and Fakes

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

paulkelley42 wrote:New to Spydercos. I bought a Tenacious online for EDC based on reviews. How can I determine if it's a clone? I would expect even an entry level knife to be sharp. It's not. It's far duller than some Kershaws, SOGs and even cheap $10 CRKTs. Thanks.
If you bought it from an eBay seller in China, it probably is a clone. I can't say for sure it's never happened, but I've yet to see an eBay seller located there selling genuine Spydercos.

If you bought it from a reputable online dealer, it isn't a clone. You just happened to get a Tenacious that was poorly sharpened. That's not common on Spydercos, but it does happen occasionally, even on the more expensive ones. They're sharpened by hand, by human beings.

If you bought it some other way, then it's probably not a clone. AFAIK, no Tenacious clones have been reported yet. Granted, that's no guarantee, but it's a pretty good indicator.

Bottom line - purchasing from reputable dealers is the best defense against knock offs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 224477 »

Paul, afaik, there is no fake Ten so far.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
aarya

Post by aarya »

I've found some knockoffs being marketed in Norway, but i believe the manufacturer is ShuangRong Company. On some websites it's even described as a "Polliwog", which is a blatant ripoff.
Pictures can be found in this photobucket album: http://s755.photobucket.com/albums/xx19 ... knockoffs/
I will not post links to the website, unless ok'd by a spyderco representative.
filerecovery

Re: Spyderco Knock-offs, "Replicas"and Fakes

Post by filerecovery »

Hi
spyderco is basically for what?

File Recovery
http://www.datadoctor.biz
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

When someone is selling these replicas or fakes do they claim they are Spyderco knives or do they admit they are copies? I've never come across one myself but I've only bought knives from what I assume are legitimate web site companies. I haven't used ebay or anything else where you are dealing with a one person situation. Where should I be concerned about getting ripped off?

Thanks,
Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you buy from reputable online dealers, you have nothing to worry about. eBay and private sales from strangers are always going to be something of a craps shoot. If you don't trust your ability to spot a fake, it's probably best to avoid those.
Paul
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Just wanted to mention something some of you might have already seen. I pissed and moaned over at Blade Forums and they put up a sticky for fakes/knock offs and clones. I added some stuff I had on my PC as well as some of the pics from this area of the forum. Figured we should spread the knowledge as much as possible. The thought of anyone not not knowing better and getting taken by this $h}T kinda gets under my skin. :eek:
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
p3pe

Habadash2010 ebay

Post by p3pe »

I have searched the net and found some negative reports about fake spydies from this ebay seller. I bought a civilian from him on ebay. Can I assume its a fake. It looks nice, came in a pouch and with the tag. But chinese fakes is known to be exptremely good sometimes. He did not give me feedback, and I sent him messages about this feedback 4. times over a period of 1 month.

The "only" problem I can tell with the knife is that it is not very smooth in the lock, it sort of have a little snag.

How will I know for shure if its real?
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not sure where you got that idea.

There are a lot of folks who believe that Seller ID is just another name for Spydieguys. Spydieguys does have at best, a somewhat spotty track record for reliability. But that because they tend sell knives they do not have in stock and then to respond rudely, if at all, to inquiries regarding shipping status. However, they have never, to my knowledge, been accused of selling fake knives.
Paul
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

Thank God :) The knife looks great, all looks new exept the G10 scales that was a bit dirty, and as mentioned the lock snag, but that is not a big problem for me. I do confirm that they do not reply to questions.
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

If you are really concerned post up some pictures for some of the members here to look at. They can spot a fake a mile off. If we are talking about the handle of Spydieguy, there have been some issue's with him in the past but to my knowledge he has never sold anything that wasn't the real deal.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
kariblueberry

Post by kariblueberry »

Can Someone help? I need help. i am very new to Spyderco and love them, however I was given this knife and need help distinguishing if it's a knockoff. it's a Chinook 3. C63GP3. I don't know how to post a picture though. Who could I send a picture to?
Thanks.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Go to

http://www.photobucket.com

Set up an account. It's free. Then follow their upload directions. Keep the photo in the 700 pixel range. Then copy the direct link code. Make a post and click on the little yellow box with what looks like a mountain range and when the gray box pops up paste it in and post. Then preview your post to see if it's there. You can take the same action for multiple photo's. Hope that helps.

liveit_loud on Ebay.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

or you can email it to me. thedeacon at earthlink dot net (with the "at" and "dot" replaced by the proper symbols and the whitespace removed).

FWIW, I'm not aware of any Chinook knockoffs, so unless it's a factory second, which would have a notch in the right edge of the blade spine, above the Spyderhole, it's probably OK.
Paul
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

liveit_loud on Ebay.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Reported - plus the fake UKPK on the same page :(

I am just amazed that eBay tolerates these traders who blatantly sell fakes or trademark infringements ... I hope Spyderco can put pressure on them through their own channels to eBay.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Fort Worth Bill

Post by Fort Worth Bill »

I recently bought a Tasman C106PBK on eBay. It has Torx screws instead of pins. My other Tasman (C106PYL) has pins instead of Torx screws. All the pictures I've seen of Tasmans have pins. Did I get a knockoff?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nope, just a Tasman produced since they changed over to screw construction a few months back.
Paul
Spyderbro

For your viewing pleasure...

Post by Spyderbro »

Is this "fake" Spydie 101 or what! :mad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-119B-small ... 2563762282

:D
[CENTER]Speak to people as if they were directly in front of you. [/CENTER]
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Yeah, that's an obvious fakie.