Spyderco Knock-offs, "Replicas"and Fakes

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

No knock-off Tenacious as far as I have seen ... it's a budget, Chinese made model so that's how Spyderco kept the costs down. It's a great knife though because it has Spyderco's design & quality control. :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
19cohiba75

Post by 19cohiba75 »

smitty704 wrote:I purchased a spyderco tenacious tonight on eBay from username "unitedoutdoors". It was for $29.99 shipped. I think this is a pretty good deal, and was curious it this sounds to good to be true, or is this a pretty reasonable price seen lots of times before. Also, has anyone heard of there being any fake "tenacious" models, or is this not an expensive enough model for the need to manufacture a fake?

And hello to everyone here, I am new to this forum. Great to be on a knife forum for a change, I pretty much live on gun forums.
Nice price !!! I won a bid for my Tenacious on Ebay for 21.00 shipped :D Best 21 bucks I spent ;)
Have there been any fakes on the Spyderco Para Military 2 that anyone has seen ?
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

Hi still quite new to Spyderco, and the reason that attracted me was Spderco's famous quality. But, with so many knock offs floating around, I am starting to get a little leary.
Can anyone give me some good basic ideas of how to spot a fake out there in cyber space?
Like I said, I am very new to Spyderco, and can't spot a fake a mile away like so many of you can. Any hints for me?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Deal4 wrote:Hi still quite new to Spyderco, and the reason that attracted me was Spderco's famous quality. But, with so many knock offs floating around, I am starting to get a little leary.
Can anyone give me some good basic ideas of how to spot a fake out there in cyber space?
Like I said, I am very new to Spyderco, and can't spot a fake a mile away like so many of you can. Any hints for me?
Simplest way is to purchase your knives from reputable dealers. I won't suggest that it's all inclusive, but this thread contains the names of quite a few of them.

I've yet to hear of anyone selling fake Spyderco products on the BladeForum Exchange, so I would consider it to be a safe source for older and/or used knives.

If shopping eBay for Spyderco, avoid sellers located in China like the plague. Have not seen one yet that sells legitimate Spyderco products. Beyond that, this section is an excellent resource. When in doubt, check it out.

Also pays to keep in mind that this problem is by no means unique to Spyderco. Knives of every major brand get copied and their names and logos get tacked onto designs they never made.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TBob

Post by TBob »

the deacon wrote:simplest way is to purchase your knives from reputable dealers. I won't suggest that it's all inclusive, but this thread contains the names of quite a few of them.

I've yet to hear of anyone selling fake spyderco products on the bladeforum exchange, so i would consider it to be a safe source for older and/or used knives.

If shopping ebay for spyderco, avoid sellers located in china like the plague. Have not seen one yet that sells legitimate spyderco products. Beyond that, this section is an excellent resource. When in doubt, check it out.

Also pays to keep in mind that this problem is by no means unique to spyderco. Knives of every major brand get copied and their names and logos get tacked onto designs they never made.
+1
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Although there are only 2 hours left for the auction, I would still like to show this item which I believe is to be a fake Swick.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-KNIFE- ... 2a1812a451
Maybe I'm wrong and this is an actual real Spyderco?
Wishlist: Delica G10. Cricket SE/PE. Cat. Air
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Andreas wrote:Although there are only 2 hours left for the auction, I would still like to show this item which I believe is to be a fake Swick.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-KNIFE- ... 2a1812a451
Maybe I'm wrong and this is an actual real Spyderco?
That looks legitimate, it's a spot.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

MachSchnell wrote:That looks legitimate, it's a spot.
Thanks, looks like it yes. I couldn't find it in the fixed blades part of the catalogue, using search did the trick :)
Wishlist: Delica G10. Cricket SE/PE. Cat. Air
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
nakahoshi

Post by nakahoshi »

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nakahoshi,

That's the knife that **** near put us out of business about a decade ago. Sorry to see it return.

It's a difficult problem to solve. Kinda like fighting mosquitoes, but these mosquitoes carry damagae.

sal
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I'm glad I'm following this thread. I almost bought one of these last night .http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0684000034
I couldn't rember it from the catalog.

I'll hold out for my Spot or Swick :)
My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JA,

Thanx for noticing.

I guess I'm one of those fools that thinks; "whatever the problem, education is the solution". We also go after them legally whever we can, but it's expensive and if I had my "druthers", I'd "druther" spend that part of the budget on crew, or R&D or Mfg equipment.

There is a current discussion to create a light neck knife. We can also do sprints of Swicks. There might even be some left from the last run, (which was the most evolved in ergos and control). I haven't checked in quite a while.

sal
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0944356449

I love when people use the word "Style" to feel it gives them the right to put up a patent infringing Chinese knockoff....
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TBob

Post by TBob »

I reported it.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

Thanks. Maybe multiple reports will help ebay get their head out and remove it.
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TBob

Post by TBob »

I also sent a message to the seller just in case he's not aware that the knife is a counterfeit.
TBob

Post by TBob »

Here's the response from the seller:
Eagle has been making these for years- they get by the copyright by having a plastic "Bandit" insert in it. Too bad you can't read "Serrated Spyderco Delica" S T Y L E.

Regards,
Marc
I guess that ethics are optional for some jewellers in Houston.
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

So he is ok breaking ebay's brand keyword spamming then? Well, it is good to have scruples....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Still seeing repeated words at the end of a line, then at the beginning of the next line. I'm living with it, just thought I'd mention it. I don't think anyone else has mentioned it so maybe I'm the only one. If I preview the post or when I do click submit it looks fine.

Jack