Spyderco Knock-offs, "Replicas"and Fakes

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Rami1986

Re: Spyderco Knock-offs, "Replicas"and Fakes

Post by Rami1986 »

My girlfriend wanted to get me an endura 4 damascus ti so she ordered it from amazon.ca but it was from a company called outfitter country CA they have good feedback from customers it was around 289$ they sent me a sure fake from what i saw its the top one in the picture i made her return it and i got it myself from blade hq which is the bottom one in the picture i also emailed the amazon one telling them its fake and they argued its a real one can you guys please confirm to me the top one in the picture is a fake please thank you
Attachments
Top fake bottom real right?
Top fake bottom real right?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's impossible to say whether or not the top knife is genuine from that photo. OTOH, the pattern of the VG-10 core damascus that Spyderco uses varies considerably from knife to knife, the :spyder: seems to be in the right spot, and the blade shape seems correct so there's no particular reason to think it a fake but I can't see the blade tang markings on the top one clearly to compare them with the bottom one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Rami1986

Post by Rami1986 »

I dont know it just seemed really fake to me the damascus looked very faded out and the lines look very plain and vertical not much design of a real damascus where as the bottom as soon as i looked at it seemed to just really pop like a damascus should with a beautiful design and very bold not faded at all i just had a gut feeling the other one was a fake and this one was a real one
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I have bought two or three knives from Outfitter Country and they've been reliable with me.

When I decided to get a Ti Damascus Delica, I knew there was a lot of variability in them (as Deacon says) from pictures I'd seen, and the closest B&M for me is 50 miles of bad traffic away... so I contacted an online dealer (not Outfitter Country) and asked him to look at two or three knives for me and pick one with a Damascus pattern that extended almost to the edge. He sent me the photo below and I chose the one on the bottom.

I have seen some Spyderco Damascus with a more linear pattern similar the one you got first (not in a Ti Delica or Endura), and I don't find it very appealing. I think there's a pretty good chance that the one you got is genuine, but sort of an extreme in Damascus pattern. But even if that's true, I think you did well to return it and try again. For that amount of money I think you should get a knife you can be happy with :) and sometimes we just can't get to a store to pick one out in person.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Rami1986

Post by Rami1986 »

Thanks guys well i am very happy with the new one it has such a beautiful pattern the linear lines of the damascus dont apeal to me i like the crazy waves lol and DougC-3 that delica you chose is beautiful and your right for the price of these babies we deserve to be happy with them thanks again guys :) the reason i think the first was a fake is ive seen endura damascus that has a similar liner pattern but its more rich and alot more lines the one i recieved just looked abit off not very rich and not so many lines id think that 15 layers on each side would have more of an effect then the one i recieved maybe i was just paranoid dont know but im happy now :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Rami1986 wrote:Thanks guys well i am very happy with the new one it has such a beautiful pattern the linear lines of the damascus dont apeal to me i like the crazy waves lol and DougC-3 that delica you chose is beautiful and your right for the price of these babies we deserve to be happy with them thanks again guys :) the reason i think the first was a fake is ive seen endura damascus that has a similar liner pattern but its more rich and alot more lines the one i recieved just looked abit off not very rich and not so many lines id think that 15 layers on each side would have more of an effect then the one i recieved maybe i was just paranoid dont know but im happy now :)
Glad you're happy with your new one. But I'm pretty sure it's just a case of "different strokes for different folks", rather than a case of your first Endura being a fake.

I'm the opposite. I find the disorganized randomness of the "ink on water" style damascus found on most VG-10 damascus Spydercos to be unattractive. I'd have been thrilled to get a Nishijin Glass Stretch or bolstered CF Caly 3 with damascus that only had linear lines.
Paul
Rami1986

Post by Rami1986 »

The Deacon wrote:
Glad you're happy with your new one. But I'm pretty sure it's just a case of "different strokes for different folks", rather than a case of your first Endura being a fake.

I'm the opposite. I find the disorganized randomness of the "ink on water" style damascus found on most VG-10 damascus Spydercos to be unattractive. I'd have been thrilled to get a Nishijin Glass Stretch or bolstered CF Caly 3 with damascus that only had linear lines.
Yes your right different people like different stuff i dont mind the linear lines if they look like this Image (Thats not my picture it belongs to William DELCUSE a forum member on here photo credits go to him hope he dont mind me using it) npw those are lines i could have lived with looks awesome however this is what i recieved Image i dont know it just seems off to me no?
Lefty Hook

Post by Lefty Hook »

Just found this at a large sporting goods store here in Calfornia's website... As fa
pm2 knock off2?
pm2 knock off2?
r as my research, these were never produced, correct?
Attachments
pm2 knock off?
pm2 knock off?
spydermania

Post by spydermania »

On a dutch (second hand) market place i found some fakes, some selling for 30 USD but some even try ask 70 USD for an Aliexpress fake..

Examples:
http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/caravans-en ... ousPage=lr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This guy even uses the AliExpres picturee:
http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/caravans-en ... ousPage=lr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Lefty Hook wrote:Just found this at a large sporting goods store here in Calfornia's website... As far as my research, these were never produced, correct?
I can't be 100% certain it's not a fake, but I think it's far more likely that it's just a case of whoever put the ad together not being "knife savvy" enough to know the difference between PM generations and using an older stock photo of an original SE ParaMilitary.
Paul
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Lefty Hook wrote:Just found this at a large sporting goods store here in Calfornia's website... As fa
pm2 knock off.png
r as my research, these were never produced, correct?
Well Dick's Sports is a legit retailer as to my knowledge, at least I've ordered a few Kershaws from them.
As a result I won't doubt their source of goods.
When I take a close look at the description at the Para 2s, I do find out what's wrong.
Simple mistake. Just like The Deacon has pointed out, simply a misplacement of the picture.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... d=23216336
Titled "Para 2 Camo/Stainless", matches "Model: C81GPCMO2", but the wrong picture of a satin/black PE Para is shown.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... d=23216266
The one you've been asking about, titled "Para 2 Black/Stainless", matches "Model: C81GP2", mistakenly shown as a satin/black SE one on the picture.
They got both of the pictures wrong, and personally I'll consider the reason being more likely poor management over fake selling.
But I do find these...
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... S2#p603331
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... S2#p848831
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... S2#p721807
Seems that the legendary C81GPS2 had existed though, except for being very rare to find.
Maybe the picture Dick's is using is exactly the heritage from that age :D
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
pauledst

Post by pauledst »

This whole issue piqued my curiosity. I did some searching found there is a huge presence of apparently "replica" knives on Aliexpress and other hosting sites. Many are other well known manufacturers whose rights are being violated as are Spydercos. I then (against "best" advice) ordered one to see what the issue was all about. I picked a knife that had C172 in the title and description. As you all know that is the ID for the Domino. The knife, when it arrived had several shortcomings. Among them:

The opening/closing is not as smooth as we've come to expect.
The scales seem cheap. I can't put my finger on it but something is wrong.
The slot cut to create the spring portion of the liner lock is wider than other Spydercos.
The box looks like the standard red/black design but it doesn't have a slide out tray. Just tuck in flaps on both ends.
The box says "printed in China" on it.
There is no label on the box identifying the knife.
The price, under $30, obviously screams fake!

Beyond the moral/legal issues I would not trust the maker of this knife to build a safe product. If any one in Golden is interested in examining the knife and its packaging/paper work I would be happy to send it to them, no obligation.
sinkrate

Post by sinkrate »

Hi, i'm new to the forum and would like to know if this is a fake?

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21608878266587#auc
Not real smart

Post by Not real smart »

sinkrate wrote:Hi, i'm new to the forum and would like to know if this is a fake?

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21608878266587#auc
Look pretty good to me .
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

There is a whole new website with Spydercco fakes! They aren't just copying you guys, they are taking their theft to new lows. Are you aware of this: http://xxxknife.com/knives.asp?cateID=2
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

****. Can't get much more out in the open than that, can you? Endura fakes for $26, but the choose the color that's sent.

That site needs to be shutdown and it's owners prosecuted.
sal

Post by sal »

With no "patent police", prosecution is challenging. It would be an asset if our government paid one iota of attention to what's going on. I guess it doesn't serve them ?

sal
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

If there's a way to discourage this Amazon seller NoonyStore, that might be worthwhile. Spyderco knives shipping from Vietnam:

http://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF8 ... asStoreID=

Click on the Products tab to the right, then search for Spyderco
palonej

Post by palonej »

That site is nauseating. After reading payment and shipping terms......anyone ordering anything from that site deserves all the misery they get.
Joe
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

sal wrote:With no "patent police", prosecution is challenging. It would be an asset if our government paid one iota of attention to what's going on. I guess it doesn't serve them ?

sal
Harwin Street in Houston is a notorious warehousing district for counterfeits. Every once in a while, U.S. Customs or in the case of this 2012 Raid, the Houston Police Department confiscates inventory and rounds up some people. Unfortunately, the knives are being shipped direct from Asia to individual customers here. There is no warehouse to raid on U.S. soil.

An embargo might force a country to police itself. George H. Bush banned assault weapons from China in 1989. A tariff on selected items that increases prices to prohibitive levels might disincentivize counterfeiters. In 1983, Reagan created a tariff on Japanese motorcycles over 700 cc to help a struggling Harley-Davidson. Not sure how either could be structured to allow vetted and approved partners to continue to import through an embargo or without paying a tariff.

That stuff, however, was coming in by the shipload and was easier to enforce. The knives being mailed individually makes enforcement a more difficult problem. Here is my three step solution. It will not be popular with everyone.

First, stop manufacturing Spyderco knives overseas. That would punish the countries that have not enforced counterfeiting, but it would also reduce Spyderco revenue, but perhaps only temporarily. And it would punish Spyderco customers because prices would be higher, but it would assure the customer that they are getting the real thing, made in the U.S.A.

Second, allow the Byrd division to continue to manufacture overseas. Their prices are already so low, there is little meat on the bone for fakes. Some Spyderco sales will shift to Byrd for the price point.

Third, to regain production and sales yet help keep prices down of Spyderco knives, consider manufacturing in right to work states where costs are lower. Like right here in Texas.

But I could be wrong. I often am.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.