Knock Offs

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
gtrtech

Knock Offs

Post by gtrtech »

I saw a karambit on ebay not advertised as a Spyderco, but using the catalog number so I googled the number and this web site came up with quite a few knock offs and some that are not, but using Spyderco name and logos.
In the 70's when Fender and Gibson had problems with Ibanez and Tokai, they sued them and had the products destroyed by customs.
I don't know if this would work now, maybe the websites could be shut down or at least the products removed.

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I had a friend who was very proud of his Ibanez Les Paul copy. They never put a phony Gibson logo on them but the name "Ibanez" was in a font similar to Gibson's. I love my Ibanez Roadstar II, one of the last made in Japan.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Wow some of those are hard to tell they are fakes. :eek: If I saw that Gunting at a gun show,I don't know if I could tell the difference. :(
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
gtrtech

Post by gtrtech »

Oh I like Ibanez very much especially during that period, and neither company put Gibson or Fender's name on their products, it was that they were coping trademarked features.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

gtrtech,
Thank you for the heads-up. I found the link and I've passed it on. As Sal says, tis a PITA.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

I would buy a Damascus bladed Native if it was actually made by Spyderco.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Unbelievable, soon it will be too risky to buy a Spyderco on eBay, especially with the standard small pictures. You think you are getting a UKPK and you get ... this!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

v8r wrote:Wow some of those are hard to tell they are fakes. :eek: If I saw that Gunting at a gun show,I don't know if I could tell the difference. :(
LOL, that Gunting is as fake as the day is long. One way to tell is the Gunting (the real, authentic Spyderco version) has a compression lock and the one that is depicted above looks to have a liner lock.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

:mad:
Those knives pictured above deserve a one-way trip to the Spyderco "Bender Buster" (mentioned in another thread) :D
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

wow that ukpk looks so real!
That would have me fooled any day of the week! :eek:
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

What gives the UKPK away?

Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

aebfroman wrote:What gives the UKPK away?
Umm, no jimping on the finger choil? :confused :( just guessing because I don't own a UKPK)
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

There shouldn't be any, thats the caly 3.

Kinda have me worried because mine looks just like it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jay_Ev wrote:
Umm, no jimping on the finger choil? :confused :( just guessing because I don't own a UKPK)
No choil jimping on the real one either. Only obvious difference is that there are no channels in G-10 on left scale for clip mounting, while the real one is ambi TU. Aside from that, it's impossible to tell, at least from a picture, that it's a fake.

Read today that the US Military is starting to use hackers for cyberwarfare. Perhaps "for practice' they could plant a ton of "Free Tibet" literature on this guy's computer and "accidentally" send a few thousand emails on that subject from it. With any luck he'd become an organ donor. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 5.56 »

The clip is wrong, UKPK has a tempered clip that is not silver.
-Rob

Knuckle dragger
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

5.56 wrote:The clip is wrong, UKPK has a tempered clip that is not silver.
True, but not always easy to tell from a photo. I'll guarantee the one in the shot below is real. It's CC#'d and came from a 100% honorable Spyderco dealer. Lighting just makes it look silver...

[CENTER]Image [/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

5.56 wrote:The clip is wrong, UKPK has a tempered clip that is not silver.
Good eye! I think I actually prefer the tempered clip, the shiny silver one doesn't do it for me, looks like a grocery store shopping cart (no offense to those that prefer it).
On a side note, I love it how the people here can detect even the slightest difference, no matter how minute. It shows how much we love our Spydies and pay attention to every detail. :cool:
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

I got ripped then, yay. Got it for $50 off ebay, guess I should have looked a little closer.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38345

/FACEPALM

Post by 5.56 »

aebfroman wrote:I got ripped then, yay. Got it for $50 off ebay, guess I should have looked a little closer.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38345

/FACEPALM
Who was the seller? So we know not to buy from them.
-Rob

Knuckle dragger
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

gunrunr1976 He had 100% feedback but I guess that doesn't mean everything.

I am now seeing where the blade is contacting the back plate if I shut it with my finger rather than the hole. There were a few things about it that struck me as odd when I got it but I just looked past them as a fluke but now the overall construction seems to fit more. I thought it as dulling fast too but I chalked it up to my using it a lot but now that it isn't even s30v that fits as well.

Ironic that my attempt to not draw attention to the auction before it was over was the very thing that led me to getting a rip off.

>: | pissed