Is this a fake?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
BornIn1500

Re: Is this a fake?

Post by BornIn1500 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:27 pm
If you think that hunk of crap is "very well made" you ought to try a legitimate spyderco knife. That way you aren't supporting thieves and you can see for yourself what "very well made" actually means.
Serious question... aside from the morals and ethics of making a counterfeit, why would you say it's not well made? Spyderco, of course, has liner lock g10 folders made in China all the time and I assume you'd call them well made.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:46 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:27 pm
If you think that hunk of crap is "very well made" you ought to try a legitimate spyderco knife. That way you aren't supporting thieves and you can see for yourself what "very well made" actually means.
Serious question... aside from the morals and ethics of making a counterfeit, why would you say it's not well made? Spyderco, of course, has liner lock g10 folders made in China all the time and I assume you'd call them well made.
The ones that actually get to work for spyderco have shown themselves to be honest enough to not plagiarize designs and proved to the company that they can make decent knives for their price.

This liner lock PM2 we see here says that the blade steel is S30V. I have no reason to believe that is the case and now we can't even tell if it's AUS8, 8CR13MOV, or something far worse.

I won't tell you that the lock won't fail over time, i simply don't know.

But the deception is there already.
They already cut corners in at least one way, so where else was one cut?
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Part of what you pay for in a Spyderco are things you can't see: high quality heat treat, and materials; extensive testing and R&D.

The purpose of the counterfeiter is not to make a good knife at all - like a con man, it's to put on just enough of a show, while expending the lowest possible price and effort to persuade the mark to part with their money.

How would you know the steel's even heat treated at all?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

CranstonSnord wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:42 pm
I have a feeling it is since I got it at a flea market. It was only $25.00, so at the time I bought it, I thought this is either the deal of a lifetime, or if not, I only spent $25.00!! Not that it matters, but it has been a very good knife and it is very well made! Thanks!!

It may be a fake but it might make a good beater knife. Just be careful of that liner lock and don’t push it too far.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

bdblue wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:19 pm
CranstonSnord wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:33 pm
I cannot afford a new one now, so will look into buying a used one off Ebay. Will probably post here if I find one and have any questions about its authenticity!
There is a high probability of getting a fake on ebay too so be careful there.
He should do research on how to tell the difference, biggest imo are the notches in the liners. I got my pm2 on ebay, brand new, never used, no box for just over 100. The pictures clearly showed it was authentic, and if it wasn't there's always buyer protection. I carry and use it a LOT. Such a great knife. Totally worth the asking price.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

For only $25 even if the steel is junk and and the handle is actually g-10, I'd be real curious as to where the profit margin would land on a bootleg knife. With machining, screws, bearings and labor makes me really appreciate the legit budget knives.

Just thinking that there are people who will gather employees, sit around a table and plan on ripping people off makes my head spin. It's rampant in all markets and it seems no consumer is safe. Money truly is the root of all evil:(
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Don't want to sound overly morally and certainly not offend the op, since he did not know...
But: Honestly, I think a counterfeit knife that claims to be a real Spydie (so from a company that falsely tries to make people believe they are getting the real thing) should not be used but thrown in the bin (and I say that though I hate throwing away things that are not really broken). It's just not right. And otherwise would benefit people (companies) who are really nothing more than thiefs.
And if one can just afford a cheap knife (which is totally fine of course), there are a TON of choices out there (even Spydies/Byrds) which are not counterfeits.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
CranstonSnord

Post by CranstonSnord »

I agree that whomever made this knife could have left the Spyderco name off of it, changed the blade shape a bit, and just made it look at bit more original, and it would be a decent knife. It has been pretty much a beater knife and I have been using it to cut up cardboard. It keeps a good edge. Is there any real way to test what kind of steel the blade is?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Not without having expensive equipment. You probably got some basic Chinese budget steel that could be equivalent to a low grade 420 or 440 steel. If you are lucky maybe 8Cr13MoV, but probably something less good. As mentioned, it was a gamble and if you use it as a beater, no worries. Just watch the lock- that would be my main concern with a fake. Cheap knives also tend to lose screws so keep after them. You will appreciate the PM-2 all the better after using that knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal