How about a double edged automatic?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Evil D

How about a double edged automatic?

Post by Evil D »

Just about every other company that makes an automatic makes some kind of double edged option, Spyderco need to get into that arena. It doesn't necessarily have to be a dagger style knife, just something with a proper Spyderco SE pattern on one side and PE on the other would be awesome.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Re: How about a double edged automatic?

Post by JRinFL »

I don't think Spyderco makes an OTF auto and I'm not sure how it would fit in with their design philosophy. OTFs are not really high performance cutting tools, more for poking holes. But who knows what Eric will want to do in the future?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:58 am
I don't think Spyderco makes an OTF auto and I'm not sure how it would fit in with their design philosophy. OTFs are not really high performance cutting tools, more for poking holes. But who knows what Eric will want to do in the future?

I was thinking about it not being an OTF, then the realization of a blade with a sharp edge on the leading side of the blade during an automatic opening as stout as the Autonomy fires is probably not a great idea.

🤦🏼‍♂️
~David
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Plus it would have to hide completely, and with a decent margin, within the handles - that would probably make it real bulky
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

If you want this type of config, buy a Microtech
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Accutronman wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:54 am

I've come close but their serrations pale in comparison, and I don't think I could trust their mechanism as much as I can the Plunge Lock.
~David
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:58 am
I agree. I bought the benchmade phaeton when it came out. Only utility shaped auto at the time. Blade was fat, grind was steep, blade had some slop. Was ok. When it broke twice, had to drive to a dealer and had them ship it. Couldnt sell it online or ship it to someone for a sale. Ended up being the biggest pain to have around and to unload. Went back to spydercos after that.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:04 am
Just about every other company that makes an automatic makes some kind of double edged option, Spyderco need to get into that arena. It doesn't necessarily have to be a dagger style knife, just something with a proper Spyderco SE pattern on one side and PE on the other would be awesome.
I've never seen something that before. It would be unique and a good seller (IMHO).
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:28 am
Accutronman wrote:

I've come close but their serrations pale in comparison, and I don't think I could trust their mechanism as much as I can the Plunge Lock.
The serrations on their D/Es are not the greatest. On their S/Es, I’d put them up against any SpyderEdge. Their mechanism is as solid as the Plunge Lock.
IMG_5830.jpeg
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Accutronman wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 4:42 am
Evil D wrote:
Accutronman wrote:

The serrations on their D/Es are not the greatest. On their S/Es, I’d put them up against any SpyderEdge. Their mechanism is as solid as the Plunge Lock.IMG_5830.jpeg

Ok but how much do you actually use that knife? Go to a junkyard and cut the bumper off a car, carve some hardwood, cut up some drywall and cut up a tire and see how it holds up. Then see how easy those teeny tiny serrations are to sharpen and if the teeth didn't just all break off.
~David
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:44 am
Accutronman wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Accutronman wrote:

The serrations on their D/Es are not the greatest. On their S/Es, I’d put them up against any SpyderEdge. Their mechanism is as solid as the Plunge Lock.IMG_5830.jpeg

Ok but how much do you actually use that knife? Go to a junkyard and cut the bumper off a car, carve some hardwood, cut up some drywall and cut up a tire and see how it holds up. Then see how easy those teeny tiny serrations are to sharpen and if the teeth didn't just all break off.
To each their own opinion.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Accutronman wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:39 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:44 am
Accutronman wrote:
Evil D wrote:

To each their own opinion.

Well, you were giving me your opinion on how superior those serrations and lock are, I was asking if you've actually used it hard enough to know or if that is just your opinion and not actually based on any real world experiences. I suppose I shouldn't assume since I don't own a Microtech but I have done all those things with my Autonomy so I was seeing if you had done the same. I guess not.
~David