Autonomy 2 sticks

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Mrj

Autonomy 2 sticks

Post by Mrj »

I just received the Autonomy 2 combo edge from Knifecenter after a long wait. I was super excited to finally get this. To my dismay I hurried up and opened the package and pushed the button and boo. Only flung open half way. After about 20 pushes it opens 85% of the way on its own. It seems to be sticking at the almost open position. After having some Protech and Microtech autos I half become accustomed to the snap open feel. I have to say this might be my first disappointment of over 100 spydie knives I’ve owned. Is this normal or should I return it? Any ideas?
MRj “Weak things break!”
Evil D

Re: Autonomy 2 sticks

Post by Evil D »

Adjust the pivot screw, dial it in how you like it. I just bought one and it was similar, it did open all the way but not like I expected or what I've seen from my two Autonomy 1's. Dial in the pivot tightness and it'll be firing with authority.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have an Autonomy 2 Second that fires hard, so your first should be good after tuning the pivot.

Edited:
Hmm. After walking mine open slowly, it appears that there is a detent point at around 80% or so. Maybe it just needs a little lubrication?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

So I added some lube and open all the way now but not hard at all. I will try to adjust the pivet screw next. I wonder do they test every knife or just do random checks before shipping.
MRj “Weak things break!”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Not sure, really. It is also possible that there is a bit grit that got knocked loose after all the shipping and maybe that's causing the hang up?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

D7E9F762-2830-49C9-8DB9-06BF9288DCCE.jpeg
9F59A84F-01FF-48FE-BD79-096732579EA1.jpeg
Sticking in these positions
MRj “Weak things break!”
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Feels like the pivot is way too tight
MRj “Weak things break!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm assuming it sticks while the button is pressed too?

On all 3 of mine I have the pivots adjusted far tighter than you'd take a regular folder, to the point that if I manually open the blade slowly at the last bit of the opening arc you can feel how tight the pivot is. Still they fire very strong.

Could be crud, could be DLC trying to break in, it does had some friction. I did lube mine a bit too (motor oil) and I've done quite a bit of fidgeting to break it in.

If you don't wanna fuss with it I'd just ask for an exchange.
~David
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

I can push the button and will open almost all the way slowly. Then I can push the button to close then while closing stop the blade at any point and it will stick in place. Only at almost closed will it push back a little.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mrj wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:56 pm
I can push the button and will open almost all the way slowly. Then I can push the button to close then while closing stop the blade at any point and it will stick in place. Only at almost closed will it push back a little.

You definitely need to loosen the pivot. That's the only problem I think you have here. They're definitely gritty feeling in the pivot and take a while for that to wear and smooth out but the spring is plenty strong enough to snap the blade back open if you half way close it, so if that's not happening then the pivot is just too tight.
~David
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Yes I will update once I get a chance to adjust. Thanks. I was suspicious it was the pivot but not sure. Thanks for the advice.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Also I meant to say "gritty feeling in the fire button" not so much the pivot. It's far worse when you try to press the button slow, you feel it a lot more. My oldest Autonomy is smooth as glass though, but it has seen years of carry and thousands of fires.
~David
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:22 pm
Also I meant to say "gritty feeling in the fire button" not so much the pivot. It's far worse when you try to press the button slow, you feel it a lot more. My oldest Autonomy is smooth as glass though, but it has seen years of carry and thousands of fires.
Wow!! I did the slightest tweak to the pivot. It slams now. Thanks for the advice. Believe this or not I haven’t had to tweak any other Spydercos except ones I modded or cleaned
MRj “Weak things break!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mrj wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:23 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:22 pm
Wow!! I did the slightest tweak to the pivot. It slams now. Thanks for the advice. Believe this or not I haven’t had to tweak any other Spydercos except ones I modded or cleaned

You should be able to tweak it so there's no blade play at all and it should still fire hard, that's one of the benefits of having a strong spring for opening. It also helps that you won't get your mind wrapped up in the "drop shutty" thing since you have to manually close these anyway. I've gotten so used to closing the blade against my hip that I do a lot of knives that way now, and it's a motion I already had programmed from growing up with old Case slip joints.
~David
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Moderator, please move thread to Restricted Models forum