Spyderfly/Smallfly appreciation

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
gundamaniac

Spyderfly/Smallfly appreciation

Post by gundamaniac »

Any love for the Spyderfly and Smallfly series? I can't legally carry a live bladed version here, but I managed to track down a Smallfly Trainer! This thing is so short and quirky, but its uniqueness makes it really fun to flip and fidget with. I would love to see a full sized Spyderfly Trainer at some point or even a full size Spyderfly 2 (or would that be 3, since the Spyderfly 2 is really more of a Smallfly 2?)

My Smallfly Trainer next to a 62T "butterfly" trainer for comparison:
PXL_20220824_015306372-01.jpeg
JRinFL

Re: Spyderfly/Smallfly appreciation

Post by JRinFL »

I have a Cruwear Sprint Smallfly, mostly to try a balisong. Since the handles do not open parallel it is a frustration for this neophyte to get a (no joke) handle on proper manipulation. Even if I never progress beyond the very basic openings, it remains an interesting knife.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
gundamaniac

Re: Spyderfly/Smallfly appreciation

Post by gundamaniac »

I find the Smallfly trainer to be so light and short that I can't really chaplin without the trainer flying from my fingers. I would love a full size Spyderfly trainer for this reason, or even to see a full size live Spyderfly balisong again. They're real attention catchers because of how unique they are.

Incidentally, I took apart my Smallfly trainer and was happy to find bushings in it. There's a bit more tap in the handles than I would like, so I may end up lapping my bushings to see if I can work out the tap. Does anyone know if the Spyderfly 2 has bushings too?