Any hope of Plunge Lock versions of existing models?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Evil D

Any hope of Plunge Lock versions of existing models?

Post by Evil D »

A boy can dream right? I know it's not as simple as stuffing whatever lock you want into whatever knife you want, but I was daydreaming this morning about a few that I would really love if they were automatics like my Autonomy, particularly the Shaman and Caribbean.

Man....a Plunge Lock Caribbean. 🥰

Yeah I know you're probably going to say just get an Autonomy 2, but it's just not quite the same, especially in blade/edge length.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Re: Any hope of Plunge Lock versions of existing models?

Post by Mushroom »

I don’t know, the Autonomy 2 is about as good of an alternative as there is right now for a plunge lock Caribbean. It’s only a little bit smaller in blade length and it’s still a Salt model. It even comes in all black. ;)

A plunge lock Shaman is a different story. There’s no alternative option currently available for something like that. (At least not from Spyderco.) With three new Shaman variations somewhere over the horizon, I wouldn’t rule this one out as impossible

I think a plunge lock automatic Sage would be a cool addition to the series.
-Nick :bug-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I'm going to predict everyone will want the Native Chief. Me, I'll take the sheepfoot Caribbean SE.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I don't know enough about autos or the plunge lock to know what model could be successfully made as an auto, but I'd be interested in any of the models mentioned above if Spyderco were to make them.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:29 am
A boy can dream right? I know it's not as simple as stuffing whatever lock you want into whatever knife you want, but I was daydreaming this morning about a few that I would really love if they were automatics like my Autonomy, particularly the Shaman and Caribbean.

Man....a Plunge Lock Caribbean. 🥰

Yeah I know you're probably going to say just get an Autonomy 2, but it's just not quite the same, especially in blade/edge length.
Yup you are right. To me, the Shaman would be a good choice but the Caribbean blade is so close to the Autonomy 2 that I have, I think it would be best to choose another, like the Native Chief or the Stretch 2 XL. Edit add on: or the Military 2!
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

OK, I see your point, The Caribbean is a little longer, taller, with nice serrations, and a nice belly.
Mongo1958
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:08 pm
I don't know enough about autos or the plunge lock to know what model could be successfully made as an auto, but I'd be interested in any of the models mentioned above if Spyderco were to make them.
Yeah, me too. Especially the Shaman and now that I'm thinking about it, the Bodacious. Spyderco couldn't make enough of them.
Mongo1958
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mongo1958 wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:13 pm
OK, I see your point, The Caribbean is a little longer, taller, with nice serrations, and a nice belly.

I've found that if I go a while without handling the Caribbean, the Autonomy 2 feel just right to me. It's only when I start making direct comparisons that I start missing details about the Caribbean. They are small nitpicky details but they'd make the Autonomy 2 that much better if they were ever implemented.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yeah! Guess who's back? 👍
It's not Slim Shady...