Citadel 83mm civilian question

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Locksmithpro007

Citadel 83mm civilian question

Post by Locksmithpro007 »

I'm a resident of Lakewood Colorado and I recently got my hands on a brand new Citadel 83mm knife. I've been an avid collector most of my adult life and this blade by far is everything i look for in a knife, automatic or not. My hats off to its creator and manufacture. My question is should the day come that it should ever need a tune up like new spring or pocket clip can I bring it by the factory to obtain a hassle free replacement or will I need to provide verification that I'm allowed to own a citadel in the first place? I remember hearing many years ago that only law enforcement and active military were allowed to carry spyderco Autos but that's also from a time when it was illegal to carry any auto's and OTF blades in Colorado, where as now I think that's no longer required. I just want to make sure I'm good. Thank you
z1r

Re: Citadel 83mm civilian question

Post by z1r »

Ironically, Lakewood is one of 4 municipalities that prohibit the carry of automatic knives.
Accutronman

Re: Citadel 83mm civilian question

Post by Accutronman »

Spyderco considers the Citadel to be a Restricted Model covered by the Federal Switchblade Act of 1958. If you have the original paperwork that accompanied the Citadel, there should be a Restricted Item Return Form that has you certify that under the Federal Switchblade Act of 1958 and any other applicable federal, state, and local laws, statutes, and regulations that you are legally able to possess the knife (i.e., active duty military, LEO). If you send in a Restricted Item that you are not legally able to possess, Spyderco will not service it nor return it to you.

Basically, if you're a private citizen sending a Restricted Item to Spyderco, you're SOL. You may be able to get service by having a Spyderco dealer send it in on your behalf but YMMV.

My understanding for the reason for all of this, including having a separate Restricted Models discussion forum on here, is that Spyderco, a number of years ago, ran afoul of the Switchblade Act and since then has taken a very hard line interpretation of it.

Finally, pocket clips, if SFO has them in stock, can be ordered from them with usually no problem.