Talk me into (or out of) the Autonomy 2

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
cody6268

Talk me into (or out of) the Autonomy 2

Post by cody6268 »

Looks like Virginia is repealing its automatic knife ban, effective July 1.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp60 ... 0758+SRREF

I have been eying the Autonomy 2 since I got into Spyderco years ago, and I'm wondering if it's worth splurging for being an auto over say, the Caribbean or an Atlantic Salt for that matter. Or heck, even the beater Byrd Rescue 2 I keep around here.
Bemo

Re: Talk me into (or out of) the Autonomy 2

Post by Bemo »

Hmmm wish I could talk you out of it. best I have is it's a bigger knife than you think. Bigger than a Manix.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

To me, it's like an automatic Caribbean. But more comfortable in hand, heavier, less edge. Solid as a rock.
PocketShredder

Post by PocketShredder »

I don't actually own one, but I've gotten to handle one before and the best way I can describe it is a folding Mule. That is to say, I like it a lot!
Image:bug-red-white
"All God's critters have knives."
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

I own a bunch of Autonomy 2s. They’re solidly built and in LC200N pretty corrosion resistant. Not bad for the price.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

no
"Some call me...Tim?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If anything I'd talk you into an Autonomy 1 first just because I love the handle and it has more edge length. Otherwise it's probably inevitable that I'll get the 2 eventually.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I would highly recommend it. Probably one of the best if not the best side opening automatic knives designed for actual knife task. It's not just a "tactical" auto. The lock is pretty impressive too. Better than just a standard button lock. G10 over stainless liners for added strength and grip. The button has a self clean feature so nothing can get behind it to stop you from pressing it when you need to. The only real down side is eventually the spring will break(this will happen to any auto) but spyderco sells replacements and the tools needed to swap them. I've used mine around the beach and got it full of sand. When I say full of sand it was caked on wet sand. It would only fire halfway open. The knife was still functional but the sand in the pivot really slowed it down. A quick rinse and it was back in action. I don't think I'd take any other auto to the beach.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:23 am
I would highly recommend it. Probably one of the best if not the best side opening automatic knives designed for actual knife task. It's not just a "tactical" auto. The lock is pretty impressive too. Better than just a standard button lock. G10 over stainless liners for added strength and grip. The button has a self clean feature so nothing can get behind it to stop you from pressing it when you need to. The only real down side is eventually the spring will break(this will happen to any auto) but spyderco sells replacements and the tools needed to swap them. I've used mine around the beach and got it full of sand. When I say full of sand it was caked on wet sand. It would only fire halfway open. The knife was still functional but the sand in the pivot really slowed it down. A quick rinse and it was back in action. I don't think I'd take any other auto to the beach.

My Autonomy 1 has been my most used knife since 2017 and so far the spring is still going strong. I did order two spring kits just to be safe, then realized they come with two springs each so I think it's safe to say I have a lifetime supply of springs now. If mine eventually breaks I'll be sure to post about it. Considering what this knife was originally designed for, it seems like reliability was a top concern.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:46 am
VashHash wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:23 am

My Autonomy 1 has been my most used knife since 2017 and so far the spring is still going strong. I did order two spring kits just to be safe, then realized they come with two springs each so I think it's safe to say I have a lifetime supply of springs now. If mine eventually breaks I'll be sure to post about it. Considering what this knife was originally designed for, it seems like reliability was a top concern.
I had a spring break but it was very easy to replace. Not sure if it was because of the salt water exposure or maybe a bad spring. I made sure to coat the new spring with tuf glide. It hasn't seen any salt water since.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Coastal wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:34 am
To me, it's like an automatic Caribbean.
I thought folding auto mule.
PocketShredder wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:27 am
I don't actually own one, but I've gotten to handle one before and the best way I can describe it is a folding Mule. That is to say, I like it a lot!
Never held one but the blade always reminded me of the mule as well.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Here ya go...

jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

Auto knives became legal country wide on December 15, 1791. The Autonomy 2 is a great and super snappy auto that is easy to self service. I highly suggest it.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Coastal, thanks for that pic. I have the Autonomy 2 and have been contemplating Caribbean and this totally gives me the scale of the Caribbean. Thanks!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Bemo wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:53 pm
Coastal, thanks for that pic. I have the Autonomy 2 and have been contemplating Caribbean and this totally gives me the scale of the Caribbean. Thanks!
Glad I could be of help, Bemo! To be clear, the Autonomy and Caribbean don't feel alike in-hand, because the Caribbean's handle is noticeably thinner, about like a Para 2, and the Autonomy is more than an ounce heavier. Both feel great to me, though. It's a beautiful thing that Spyderco gets the ergonomics right on such a big variety of knives!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:36 am
If anything I'd talk you into an Autonomy 1 first just because I love the handle and it has more edge length. Otherwise it's probably inevitable that I'll get the 2 eventually.
I’m still waiting on restock since you converted me to the Autonomy 1 idea . At this point I don’t care what color it will be , though the Orange is very appealing. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau