Where to start?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Josh Crutchley

Where to start?

Post by Josh Crutchley »

What's a good auto to start out with? I don't have any experience with autos and just recently started looking into Spyderco restricted models. I don't care for balisongs but will say the Smallfly 2 looks bad a**. The quirky models is what interests me, like the C108 Bifold. Out of the usual autos the Embassy looks the best to me.
The Deacon

Re: Where to start?

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on what you want to spend. IMHO, at $40 and up, the Boker Kalashnikov series of knives are the best entry level conventional autos out there.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 2:32 pm
Depends on what you want to spend. IMHO, at $40 and up, the Boker Kalashnikov series of knives are the best entry level conventional autos out there.
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to see if the local knife dealer has any to check out. They have all kinds of Benchmade otf's but I think I would like ots better.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have an Embassy and I enjoy it.

I'll echo The Deacon and say that for a 'check out what auto's are about knife' it's hard to beat the Boker Kalashnikov's. Great fun per dollar value in those models.

I think my favorite non-OTF auto is the Microtech LUDT, but the Embassy is very nice as well.

OTFs are cool for the 'oooh' factor, but I don't find them very practical for EDC. I EDC'd an Ultratech for a while, and it definitely got some not-good reactions from non-knife people. And the OTF platform limits the blade shape and ergonomics quite a bit. If I had to recommend an OTF, I think I'd go with one of the D-rocket (Dariel Caston) ones. I own two of them and they are super smooth. For bonus points, he's a Spyderco collaborator (Squarehead) so maybe Spyderco will do a collab on one of his OTFs some day.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

The Deacon wrote:
I like to support local businesses when possible, luckily they had Boker just not the Kalashnikov. Honestly I didn't like the looks of it in pictures I've seen. They did have the Strike at a reasonable price so that what I got.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I’ve had a few OTF knives and they never really impressed me as an actual knife. The designs and mechanisms are neat but they have serious outweighing flaws in use. If you’re wanting an automatic knife with utility then my suggestion is to look at the Out The Side style knives. Autonomies are great examples of this and there are many of other options to choose from too.
aquaseafoamshaman

Post by aquaseafoamshaman »

Protech= SBR, PT Strider, Newport, Brend 2 These are all great autos for edc.

Quirky/cool autos are the Protech Magic br1, Magic2, Ciabatta, and Monaco.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:02 pm
The Deacon wrote:
I like to support local businesses when possible, luckily they had Boker just not the Kalashnikov. Honestly I didn't like the looks of it in pictures I've seen. They did have the Strike at a reasonable price so that what I got.

Can't fault you for wanting to buy local when you can. As for looks, tastes differ, so can't fault you for that. Don't have any experience with the Strike but, aside from the shape, it looks to be very similar to the Kalashnikov mechanically, has similar price points, and is probably built in the same factory, so it should fire just as hard and hold up just as well. Enjoy!
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:34 am
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:02 pm
The Deacon wrote:

Can't fault you for wanting to buy local when you can. As for looks, tastes differ, so can't fault you for that. Don't have any experience with the Strike but, aside from the shape, it looks to be very similar to the Kalashnikov mechanically, has similar price points, and is probably built in the same factory, so it should fire just as hard and hold up just as well. Enjoy!
Ever since the pandemic I've shopped local when possible. There prices are usually close to msrp so it is more expensive but it's nice to handle the knife before purchasing.

I was sure the mechanism was the same that's why I went for it. There's quite a few of my knives that I bought because of recommendations of forum members, like yourself, that are way more experienced in knives than me. I worked in automotive most of my life and the most useful things I've learned came from people with lots of hands on experience.