Smallfly 2 tutorial videos? Tips? Advice?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Buddafucco

Smallfly 2 tutorial videos? Tips? Advice?

Post by Buddafucco »

Spyderco, I need a tutorial video! Please. :)

Specificity for the Smallfly 1 or 2.
I'm assuming the original Smallfly is very similar in weight, shape and balance as the Smallfly 2 I've had for a few days now. I've searched and can only find reviews. Anybody know if this exists?

I've heard Mike, Kristi, Sal & Eric are all good with a balisong. I'm not. You should get together and make a nice beginner Smallfly video for me. Or maybe somebody else at Spyderco that i don't even know of, that has balisong skills, could make a video.

I feel like the size and the shape make manipulating it different to what I'm currently seeing in balisong tutorial videos.
It's probably too small for me to begin with but I'm still having fun with it.
I've been practicing a basic open and close maneuver, and I'm getting better at it, but I'm also EDCing it and am having a hard time figuring out the best (quickest & least clumsy) way to go from clipped in my pocket to open and ready to use. Any advice here from anybody? :spyder:

Edit: added Tips and Advice to title
Last edited by Buddafucco on Thu May 27, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
curlyhairedboy

Re: Smallfly 2 tutorial videos?

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've found that a bunch of normal balisong techniques can be done with the smallfly 1 and 2. Try looking up 'balisong quick vertical opener' as a search term on youtube.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:36 am
I've found that a bunch of normal balisong techniques can be done with the smallfly 1 and 2. Try looking up 'balisong quick vertical opener' as a search term on youtube.
Thank you Curly... I will look that up after work. :)
A lot of moves I've seen just look like there's just not enough handle on the Smallfly to pull off with big hands. Maybe i just have to build up more finger dexterity. Conversely, i haven't found anything that shows how to use the holes at the bottom of the handles.
•• Beau
dkelley661

Post by dkelley661 »

While its not a tutorial video, the KnifeCenter YouTube video a few months back had the dude from Spyderco showing off the latest reveals. Towards the end of the video he does a few flips with the SF2 and one of those flips he uses the holes in the back of handle. Slow motioned it a few times and got it down.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

dkelley661 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:28 am
While its not a tutorial video, the KnifeCenter YouTube video a few months back had the dude from Spyderco showing off the latest reveals. Towards the end of the video he does a few flips with the SF2 and one of those flips he uses the holes in the back of handle. Slow motioned it a few times and got it down.
I remember the video but forgot about that part. Thanks for pointing it out!
That's what i need the amazing people at Spyderco to make a video of... A very slowed down video of the fancy draw technique with commentary! :D

Looks like his clip is on the other side in that video. I tried changing the clip to the other side of the bite handle and it felt funny in my pocket so i switched it back.
•• Beau
Michael Janich

Re: Smallfly 2 tutorial videos? Tips? Advice?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Buddafucco:

The manipulation of the SmallFly and SmallFly 2 is basically the same as any other balisong, but, depending upon your hand size and dexterity, some openings will be easier than others.

As far as the handle holes are concerned, back in the day, Sal and Eric were fond of the "handle drop" opening with other brands of balisong. When they designed Spyderco's balisongs, they wanted to prominently feature our Trademark Round Hole and ensure that they were capable of doing the handle drop. That's where the holes in the handle came from.

Although I can't point you to a video that shows that opening with the SmallFly, there is a BaliYo tutorial that teaches it well. Adapting the SmallFly to that technique is easy. Since there are no "rebounds," the direction of the edge and which handle you grab don't really matter. The mechanics remain the same. Here you go...

https://youtu.be/O5gskKT-huk

Stay safe,

Mike
Buddafucco

Re: Smallfly 2 tutorial videos? Tips? Advice?

Post by Buddafucco »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:38 am
Dear Buddafucco:

The manipulation of the SmallFly and SmallFly 2 is basically the same as any other balisong, but, depending upon your hand size and dexterity, some openings will be easier than others.

As far as the handle holes are concerned, back in the day, Sal and Eric were fond of the "handle drop" opening with other brands of balisong. When they designed Spyderco's balisongs, they wanted to prominently feature our Trademark Round Hole and ensure that they were capable of doing the handle drop. That's where the holes in the handle came from.

Although I can't point you to a video that shows that opening with the SmallFly, there is a BaliYo tutorial that teaches it well. Adapting the SmallFly to that technique is easy. Since there are no "rebounds," the direction of the edge and which handle you grab don't really matter. The mechanics remain the same. Here you go...

https://youtu.be/O5gskKT-huk

Stay safe,

Mike

I'm pretty good at searching on the web but somehow the BaliYo YouTube channel has evaded me. Thank you for pointing it out. I cringed a little when the tip of the pen swiped against his palm! eek! :D
I am still hoping that whoever does the videography over there catches wind of my request for a Smallfly 2 video or videos... hint hint. Maybe a link to the video could come in the SmallFly 2 Spyderco Byte. :)
Thanks again Mike!
•• Beau