I don't understand automatics.

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Evil D

Re: I don't understand automatics.

Post by Evil D »

The timing on this thread is funny, I spent an embarrassing amount of time yesterday looking into Microtechs, and if the one I wanted was in stock anywhere I probably would have ordered it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:54 am
The timing on this thread is funny, I spent an embarrassing amount of time yesterday looking into Microtechs, and if the one I wanted was in stock anywhere I probably would have ordered it.
What model/color are you looking for?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My first knife was a pearl scaled automatic (very small, key chain sized). I got it when I was six years old. It did not take long for me to lose it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Microtech is one knife brand that has been closest to taking my money, other than Spyderco, in the past few years. :o They make more than one model that I would love to own too, so it's a rabbit hole that I've been reluctant to go down.
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:58 am
Evil D wrote:

Dirac Delta, preferably as black as I can get it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I own only two quality autos; a Pro-Tech Runt and a DKD Shark Tooth. Both are CA-legal, and both have similar actions, meaning excellent. Even though their blades are both just below 2”, the Shark Tooth feels like a larger knife than the Runt.

That said, I much prefer manual one-hand openers. Even if those two high-quality autos had, say, 3.5” blades, I would still find a manual one-hander faster to take out, use, and put away, even though “speed of deployment” is not a big concern for me. Also, as has already been mentioned, there is more that can potentially go wrong with an auto than a manual one-hander.

Speaking of post-Civil War-era pocketknives for veterans who had lost an arm, another design to help remedy that was the one-arm Barlow razor-tipped pocketknives. They were ordinary Barlows with a notch cut out of the tip of the main spear point blade, which made it slightly resemble the end of a straight razor. This notch could be caught and pressed against a pant leg, edge of a table, etc., to lever the knife open one-handed.

Jim
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:31 pm
Fun.
That sums it up for me. Push button & the blade pops out. That's it!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

From my experience, autos are faster and simpler to open and close. And of course, they're fun, too.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I'm not a fan of autos or assisted opening knives. I rarely even flick my knives open. I like controlled opening/closing. I just gave away a benchmade w assisted opening. Just not my thing I guess
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Oh there is most definitely a time and place for automatic folders (Switchblades) and yes they do have practical uses. When I was still in the tree business before my body got beat up and ravaged :o I carried and used a Benchmade Boguszewski Spike Auto and that blade bailed me out of trouble on a couple of occasions when I was up in a tree with only one hand available. When you are restricted to using one hand they do come in very handy.

Most of the gang bangers, bikers and ninja wannabees that I've met that have ever shown me their automatics it was almost laughable in most cases. First off I never seen even one that those type of guys would show me with a sharp blade or one with a blade made of good steel like we're all used to having. And I never talked to any of those guys who paid over $25 for any of the switchblades that they showed off to me.

When I would show them my Benchmade Boguszewski Spike Auto folder and told them how much it costs they all cringed. Very few people that use autos even know about the upper tier, high quality models out there. Automatics ( Switchblades) truly are wrongfully misunderstood for a lot of reasons. I would even encourage first responders to be equipped with them myself. At this time I don't carry any automatics even though I still own a couple of them. But they do have their proper place in the scheme of things.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:26 am
I own only two quality autos; a Pro-Tech Runt and a DKD Shark Tooth. Both are CA-legal, and both have similar actions, meaning excellent.

Jim
I've got a close friend here locally that owns two of those high end "Pro-Tech" automatic folders and they are built with quality for sure. At one time I also had a MicroTech model ( back in the late 90s) and it was well made with good materials. Those are two brands other than Spyderco & Benchmade that I would highly recommend to anyone interested in a good quality automatic.

There are a lot more cheaper, rip-off, low quality automatics out there than there are ones made with really good quality >> so of any of you are in the market to buy one then please do your homework and learn which companies make the good ones. I've seen automatics at pawn shops that look really pretty but when you handle it you soon discover they are bargain basement trash. But Jim is right on about ProTech automatics they are well made.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I do not understand why automatics are prohibited in some jurisdictions but assisted opening models are not. They are very much alike. I do understand for every "type" of person there will be a "type" of knife that they really like. Automatics certainly do have a broad appeal.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
GaryArt1

Post by GaryArt1 »

I own 2 Microtech automatics, one OTF and one side opening. I really like the knives. There is a cool and fun factor to deploying them, especially the OTF. The knives are both well made and I am glad I bought them. Neither one has a safety nor did I ever see a need for it. I can say they are easier and faster to open than any non auto. Closing is another story. The side opener is definitely a lot harder to close than a regular knife. Saying that, they do not get as much pocket time as my locking Spydies. I am hard on my knives and usually need a knife that can hold up to some abuse. I find the auto opening mechanisms a little more fragile than the typical Spydie. Also the lack of pocket time it is a caused by my ailment of too many knives, too few pockets.
Current Spydercos in EDC rotation: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Dragonfly 2 Toku2, Vrango, Matrix 2 G10 Black, Native 5 Fluted Carbon, Canis, Native 5 Salt, Enuff Sheepfoot, Lil' Temperance 3, Proficient, Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Zwear micarta, Shaman Black/Black Spyderedge, DLT tan Yojimbo 2
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:33 pm
In the olden days when all the folders were slip joints, autos were great for one-handed operation. Nowadays, opening a manually operated knife can be just as quick or quicker. Even better, my Spyderco's can be closed with one hand with only gravity or the flick of a wrist. Autos, on the other hand, need to be pushed against the leg to close. And don't forget the added complexity and potential for failure of the autos.
Strange. I close all my autonomies with one hand...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Rinzler wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:30 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:33 pm
In the olden days when all the folders were slip joints, autos were great for one-handed operation. Nowadays, opening a manually operated knife can be just as quick or quicker. Even better, my Spyderco's can be closed with one hand with only gravity or the flick of a wrist. Autos, on the other hand, need to be pushed against the leg to close. And don't forget the added complexity and potential for failure of the autos.
Strange. I close all my autonomies with one hand...
Likewise!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I have nothing to add except this thread just made me go and get my Autonomy 😁
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm going with fun, as well.

If they're not fun for you, cool. If they are, then go for it.

All good, just different. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:17 pm
I do not understand why automatics are prohibited in some jurisdictions but assisted opening models are not.
I think that's really just because the laws are made by people who don't understand the knives. Which is a problem with all manner of laws, actually.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Chapp wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:52 am
I don't use them myself, they look too murdery for my taste.

I understand the appeal though. It's a badass design inspired by popular culture. In movie, the villains always have one anf it works.

From the practical side, there nothing wrong with them. The only downside is it's hard to find a good one at a good price. You have to spend north of 200€... well, that and the fact that you'll give psychopath vibe when you use it it in public.

Now, the obsession with tool steel in folders... that I'll never understand. It's asking for a bunch of problem science has resolved a while ago with inox.
This is a dangerous opinion to hold. Your UKPK surely looks murdery in the eyes of non-knife people too. Have you ever seen someone’s eyes go wide in shock when using a simple delica in public? It matters not whether you’re holding a ladybug or a native chief pocket sword or an automatic knife. The person that will think you as a psychopath for holding an automatic knife in public will think the same of you with a bug on your keychain. These comments you made are a total disservice to the knife community.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

When they were made legal in my state I bought one just for fun. I resist carrying it because I don't think it is as safe in my pocket as my normal folders. I could carry it locked but that defeats the purpose. I also agree that a good assisted knife is as fast to open or very nearly so. Opening mechanisms vary a lot in speed- my blades with large spydie-hole are faster to open than every thumb stud folder or flipper folder I've ever owned except for one.

At some point I thought that a double action OTF would be a good work knife- easy to open and close while your other hand was occupied. An OTF could be useful for an astronaut if they needed it- it could even be incorporated into their suit. One day I was cutting up boxes in my garage with my utility knife and it has a thumb button that slides the blade in and out. Of course the blade is relatively short but I realized that this button functions about the same as a D/A OTF. I'm now in the habit of pushing the blade out, cutting a box, and pulling the blade back in while I pick up the next box so I don't accidentally cut some body part that I don't want to cut.