I don't understand automatics.

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Bolster

I don't understand automatics.

Post by Bolster »

I don't understand automatics. The Autonomy is a beautiful knife but what does automatic really bring to the table? So I have to unlock it, and then press a button. By now I've got my non-auto Spydie thumbed open. What am I missing?
Liquid Cobra

Re: I don't understand automatics.

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Fun.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

In the olden days when all the folders were slip joints, autos were great for one-handed operation. Nowadays, opening a manually operated knife can be just as quick or quicker. Even better, my Spyderco's can be closed with one hand with only gravity or the flick of a wrist. Autos, on the other hand, need to be pushed against the leg to close. And don't forget the added complexity and potential for failure of the autos.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Dont use the lock. Autonomy 2 has never come unlocked in my pocket and it fires hard with one hand when i need to deploy it.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

I don't use them myself, they look too murdery for my taste.

I understand the appeal though. It's a badass design inspired by popular culture. In movie, the villains always have one anf it works.

From the practical side, there nothing wrong with them. The only downside is it's hard to find a good one at a good price. You have to spend north of 200€... well, that and the fact that you'll give psychopath vibe when you use it it in public.

Now, the obsession with tool steel in folders... that I'll never understand. It's asking for a bunch of problem science has resolved a while ago with inox.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Living where autos can only be acquired on a very hard to acquire collectors license, I can’t speak from experience, but I have read stuff on the internet.
First of all, is probably the fun factor. I guess that’s the main attraction.

From a practical point of view, it’s suppose to make sense for some users in certain situations:
Physically impaired persons that is lacking dexterity, finger strength or coordination.
Hunters that gets their hands contaminated with blood can have a hard time deploying a manual knife.
First responders, that are subject to stress, chemical contamination or both, will not consistently be able to get a solid deployment and lock up with a manual folder.

These are just the pro’s, there’s obviously cons that needs to be considered as well.
brj

Post by brj »

I don't get OTS myself, so cannot comment on them.

However I like OTFs for the ease of use (you never have to change your grip) and gadget-y factor. Arguably an OTF is the only non-fixed knife where your fingers never really cross path with the blade opening or closing (no arc required). They are also one of the few designs that can safely deploy a double edge blade, which is kind of cool in itself (to me) even though with zero practicality.

Maybe one of my personal highlights of working exclusively from home for >1 year was that I did get to 'EDC' :) my OTFs.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I removed the lock from my Autonomy. On a couple occasions I had it (somehow) lock itself while in my pocket, then when I really needed to open it I'm pressing a button and it won't fire. To me it's like a gun safety...the only safety is trigger discipline.

Anyway, when you need to use a knife under a lot of pressure like in an emergency, your fine motor skills turn to mush and unless you've done some kind of training like MBC courses you may find that the simple action of opening a knife with your thumb isn't as fluid and second nature as you think it would be, so pressing that button may be easier. For me I often work with gloves on and I found that even the best thumb opening with the largest thumb hole was no comparison to how easy it is to fire an Autonomy, so for a work knife it was a better solution especially when they're winter gloves.

And as LC said, it's fun. Just like the next guy likes to flick his knife open, it's just fun. The Plunge Lock is also a really cool lock design, I think it would be great even without the automatic opening and would function much like the side button Compression Lock. The ability to service the spring mechanism without taking the knife apart is also absolutely genius and won Spyderco an award for the design.

Thanks for this thread...makes me wonder why I don't carry my Autonomy more than I do. It's an excellent knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I rarely lock my autonomy . You can actually lock it open. It definitely works with gloves which can be an issue with regular knives. I'm not saying all autos work with gloves. I'm saying the autonomy and autonomy 2 do. The button is very large and easy to find and press with gloves on. It also self cleans. The button passes through the handle to push out any debris that could potentially stop a button lock automatic. The autonomy isn't a button lock. It's a modified comp lock. To me it has revolutionized what an auto should be. Also it's user serviceable with tools and parts provided by the manufacturer. For $7or8 you get everything you need to change the spring and you get 2 springs. Few autos have full steel liners and G10 scales. Most are aluminum. I don't care for aluminum knives but in the auto market it's pretty much the standard unfortunately. You can actually use the autonomy and auto 2 for work and not worry about it.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I have actually been considering going through the hoops to get a license to buy autos, and was pretty much set on getting a Protech SBR if that were to happen.
I have for some reason never considered the Autonomy, but reading this discussion it seems like a really compelling option.

And actually, the more I look at it, the more it reminds me of an automatic Caribbean. I have never seen either model in person, so they could of course be less related than it appears...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:41 am
I have actually been considering going through the hoops to get a license to buy autos, and was pretty much set on getting a Protech SBR if that were to happen.
I have for some reason never considered the Autonomy, but reading this discussion it seems like a really compelling option.

And actually, the more I look at it, the more it reminds me of an automatic Caribbean. I have never seen either model in person, so they could of course be less related than it appears...

They're my two favorite knives, but could be very different depending on how your fingers fit the grooves on the Autonomy. Now, the Autonomy 2 is very similar to the Caribbean but has a bit less blade length. The Autonomy 1 is very different in the grip and I usually don't like finger grooves but these fit my hand perfectly and I really like how it feels. It's also a bit thicker than most knives which I also like.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

They're fun? I don't understand people who buy knives as fidget toys (those who refuse to by XYZ model because they can't middle finger flick) either, but I can see the entertainment value.

Single action OTFs - impractical, but it's definitely fun to charge one
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Arthritis and damaged hands would be a very good reason for automatics. I have one, because they are legal here and I wanted to see what the fuss was about. It offers little over my Spydercos and so does not get carried. If, as I age, my arthritis gets bad enough, it will get carried. Might even switch to an OTF model.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I got a Microtech OTF just because I felt like I needed to have at least one as a knife nerd. I like it, it's a beautiful Merlot colored handle...but for an edc, it's pretty impractical. Double edge is cool, but it's pretty thick bte and doesn't slice that well. It's more of a novelty knife for me, but cool enough to keep around I guess.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The only use I see for them is in people who have dexterity problems due to injury or disease in their hands. I have owned different automatics using different means of activation and even actions. I have never seen one yet that I cannot thumb a simply Spyderco open faster and the regular opening Spydercos are easier to unlock and then close, too. True, some may disagree with me, but that is the way it is for me and I have a few dexterity problems, slightly. I cannot flick a Spyderco open due to old injuries, but I can thumb one open fast enough to nearly do so.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I believe automatics were originally invented so handicapped people could still operate folding knives. They were very popular after the civil war since back then amputations were a common practice.

Their use in TV and movies combined with the tactical knife craze of the 80’s and 90’s caused a surge in popularity.

I just think they are cool. Maybe one handed opening is just as fast. That doesn’t mean that autos are not a viable alternative.

Also, if it is a good quality auto just forget about the lock. It was put there by lawyers to protect the manufactures.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:47 am
aicolainen wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:41 am

They're my two favorite knives, but could be very different depending on how your fingers fit the grooves on the Autonomy. Now, the Autonomy 2 is very similar to the Caribbean but has a bit less blade length. The Autonomy 1 is very different in the grip and I usually don't like finger grooves but these fit my hand perfectly and I really like how it feels. It's also a bit thicker than most knives which I also like.
With hands on the smaller side, the more neutral A2 is probably the safest route, but as a SAR volunteer the A1 has some appeal as well. Just in theory though. I’m mostly deployed for mountain rescue, and the almost non-existent need for knives in rescue situations does not justify the weight penalty over my Salt 2 that I currently carry.

I’ll be getting the Caribbean first anyhow, so that will probably give me some pointers on where I land with regards to hand size
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:09 am
The only use I see for them is in people who have dexterity problems due to injury or disease in their hands. I have owned different automatics using different means of activation and even actions. I have never seen one yet that I cannot thumb a simply Spyderco open faster and the regular opening Spydercos are easier to unlock and then close, too. True, some may disagree with me, but that is the way it is for me and I have a few dexterity problems, slightly. I cannot flick a Spyderco open due to old injuries, but I can thumb one open fast enough to nearly do so.
This is true. I almost said in my other post that good one-hand opening knives pretty much eliminated the need for automatics. Almost, but not quite! Having said that, I still feel all knives should be fully legal.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

Back in the early 1900s, small automatic pen knives were also advertised for ladies, as tools for daily carry for their handbags or sewing kits, so they could open their pocketknives without breaking a nail.

Jim
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:16 am
I believe automatics were originally invented so handicapped people could still operate folding knives. They were very popular after the civil war since back then amputations were a common practice.

Their use in TV and movies combined with the tactical knife craze of the 80’s and 90’s caused a surge in popularity.

I just think they are cool. Maybe one handed opening is just as fast. That doesn’t mean that autos are not a viable alternative.

Also, if it is a good quality auto just forget about the lock. It was put there by lawyers to protect the manufactures.

Amputees were one of the two main markets for early automatics. In addition to wars, farming and industrial accidents created quite a few customers. The other large market, believe it or not, was schoolgirls. Quill pens required maintenance, pen knives were difficult to open and caused broken fingernails, automatics solved that.

As for me, I'd agree with those who say they're fun, I've said more than once they're the adult version of a jack-in-the-box. On a more serious note, I'd add that double action OTF automatics are the only knives I own that are easier for me to operate than my Spydercos.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!