Oh no...

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
archangel

Oh no...

Post by archangel »

How could I have been so ignorant?

Apparently I have successfully blended out for years that there is a length limit to blades of automatic knives in Germany, in order for them to be legal. :( It's 8,5cm. And the Autonomy 1/2 have blades of 9,4/8,9cm. They are illegal in Germany!! :mad:

Dang it.....
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
VooDooChild

Re: Oh no...

Post by VooDooChild »

So break the law.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Move just a bit to the south - come and live in Austria! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Blades can be shortened by carefully stoning or grinding the top edge down. Many have done it here, though I have not needed to do so yet. Uncoated blades will look better, of course. Will it be confiscated when shipped, or is it legal to own, but not legal to carry based on blade length laws?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
archangel

Post by archangel »

No, they are plain illegal. German dealers can't sell them, and if you privately order one from the US or any other country where they are legal, they would be sacked when customs spot them. So shortening the blade is not an option cause you can't even get it into Germany. The only way would be to smuggle it in. Too risky...
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

archangel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:59 am
How could I have been so ignorant?

Apparently I have successfully blended out for years that there is a length limit to blades of automatic knives in Germany, in order for them to be legal. :( It's 8,5cm. And the Autonomy 1/2 have blades of 9,4/8,9cm. They are illegal in Germany!! :mad:

Dang it.....
I think its even more restrictive. Automatic knives are illegal independent of the blade length. The 8.5 cm apply only to assisted knives, if I'm not mistaken.
archangel

Post by archangel »

No, automatic knives are not illegal per se. Böker and many other dealers do sell automatic knives in Germany. Just models with blades shorter than 8,5cm.

OTFs and butterflies/balisongs are per se illegal, independant of the blade length. Not sure about balisong trainers, but probably the are ok since they have no real blade.

https://www.outdoormesser.de/Messerrech ... %20besitzt.
Michael
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

archangel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:54 pm
No, automatic knives are not illegal per se. Böker and many other dealers do sell automatic knives in Germany. Just models with blades shorter than 8,5cm.

OTFs and butterflies/balisongs are per se illegal, independant of the blade length. Not sure about balisong trainers, but probably the are ok since they have no real blade.

Yes, you are right. I always misunderstood the law around automatic knives. Good to know.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I've had a realization like this a few months ago. I had just sold a microtech exocet after deciding it wasn't for me, and found out that in my state that it's illegal to own autos. I had been under the impression that they were only illegal to carry lol.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:21 pm
I've had a realization like this a few months ago. I had just sold a microtech exocet after deciding it wasn't for me, and found out that in my state that it's illegal to own autos. I had been under the impression that they were only illegal to carry lol.

Now, just that I get this right: In your state you are literally not allowed to OWN an Auto, even if you only keep it at home in a drawer - ?!? :eek: :confused:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:27 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:21 pm

Now, just that I get this right: In your state you are literally not allowed to OWN an Auto, even if you only keep it at home in a drawer - ?!? :eek: :confused:
Yep in Minnesota the legislation essentially says “it is legal to own and carry any knife as long as it is not a ‘switchblade’.”

Although the courts decide on the definition of switchblade case to case, so its safest to not own anything even vaguely assisted. Fun place I know, at least Balisongs and other weird knives are fully unrestricted.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Grind the blade down if you are worried.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

archangel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:54 pm

From my reading of § 42a of WaffG, AUTOS under 8,5 cm are legal but "knives with one-hand lockable blade (one-hand-folder)" are illegal. :eek:

An AUTO can be opened (and closed) one hand and once engaged the blade is locked. But they are legal and a Delica would be illegal.

Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for you input-
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
archangel

Post by archangel »

One-handed locking knives are not illegal. You may possess them, collect them, and use them at your home. It is just illegal to carry them in public. Same with automatic knives with a blade shorter than 8,5cm: it is legal to own them and use them at your home, but not legal to carry them in public.

Balisongs, OTF knives, and apparently automatic knives with blades longer than 8,5cm are illegal in any/all aspects. If they search your home and find them, you are in trouble.
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

Salty Dog wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:04 pm
And where should I get the knife when no German dealer can sell it (cause it is an illegal object), and when it will be sacked by customs upon import from abroad??
Michael
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

archangel wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:37 am
One-handed locking knives are not illegal. You may possess them, collect them, and use them at your home. It is just illegal to carry them in public. Same with automatic knives with a blade shorter than 8,5cm: it is legal to own them and use them at your home, but not legal to carry them in public.

Balisongs, OTF knives, and apparently automatic knives with blades longer than 8,5cm are illegal in any/all aspects. If they search your home and find them, you are in trouble.

Thanks for the clarification, Archangel.

Here, any autos are absolutely prohibited. Buying, carrying and even possessing them is a criminal offense, punished with imprisonment. I never understood that because 90% of my flippers can be deployed much faster than any auto ... :(
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

archangel wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:40 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:04 pm
And where should I get the knife when no German dealer can sell it (cause it is an illegal object), and when it will be sacked by customs upon import from abroad??
Could you find a friendly knife dealer in the USA who could grind it down for you and send it to you?
archangel

Post by archangel »

That would be an idea. Thing is, would customs accept it? Would they measure the length, or would they not rather just look up the specs of the original item, and disregards or even overlook any modification? Quite a risk...

I'll see that I get to talk to some qualified customs clerk, try to get an official answer. Thanks, Tom!

Edit: email addressed to German Customs sent. I'll keep you posted about their reply.
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

Customs Office replied. They said that they'd never make a judgement call. In close calls (are measurements within the law or not) they'd pass the matter on to German Federal Office of Criminal Investigation, they would be the deciders. I could ask them, but... it's all very complicated (federal bureaucrazy...), with extra costs on my end, and no guarantee it will work in the end. The risk to burn money is too high for me.
Michael
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hopefully manufacturers will learn and start to make more models with legal blade lengths for the German market.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001