Smallfly 2 balisong

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
marty_bill_

Smallfly 2 balisong

Post by marty_bill_ »

Not sure where everyone here is about balisongs. I love them. I like flipping and flipping has become a huge thing in the knife world. Good knives to flip are being made by all sorts of companies now. The old Benchmade 42 was 1 that started it all off. Really. I am glad to see Spyderco coming out with another balisong even if it doesn't really look ideal for flipping. I mean we need a longer blade, beefier handles, no latch, and a weight of 4.4 to 4.9 range with titanium handles. Please Sal and Eric give flippers a reason to come to Spyderco and they will. Please chime in and give me your thoughts on balisongs you love or hate. Personally I'm liking BRS and Hom balisongs. Some modded Benchmade 51 are also great!
nerdlock

Re: Smallfly 2 balisong

Post by nerdlock »

This should be posted in the Restricted Models subforum.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:45 pm
Why? They are not illegal. They are great knives. And flipping is for fun. Not violence. But whatever I'm not here to fight.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:54 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Why? They are not illegal. They are great knives. And flipping is for fun. Not violence. But whatever I'm not here to fight.
They may not be illegal where you are, but there are still some federal laws in place. Running afoul of those laws has cost Spyderco several hundred thousand dollars in the past.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

marty_bill_ wrote:
nerdlock wrote:

Hi marty,

There's actually a sub in this forum dedicated to restricted models like the Smallfly. You can see it here:

viewforum.php?f=7&sid=5bca9e7a00c165ccb0a7e79d0ab5402f

there's a Smallfly 2 thread already going on.

Yes, they are great knives, because a town in my country actually became famous for balisongs. ;)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:09 pm
marty_bill_ wrote:
nerdlock wrote:
They may not be illegal where you are, but there are still some federal laws in place. Running afoul of those laws has cost Spyderco several hundred thousand dollars in the past.
I am curious: How did this happen? Why did it cost Spyderco money? And not people who purchased and carried a knife not legal where they live?
And, just so I understand: Why does a Balisong, that is legal in some places and not in others, count as an restricted model, but not for example a folder with a 3.5" blade, that is also legal in some places, but not in others?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just wanted to say: I really like the SmallFly 2 design!!

I like flipping butterfly/balisong knives (I am not good at it, but can do some tricks and moves), and the Smallfly 2 combines a "flipping knife" with a really usefull EDC bladeshape and -grind in a good steel, is compact in size and pretty low in weight.
Not another one of that heavy, thick bladed stabby balisongs.

I can see myself carry this one as an actual EDC knife (would be legal where I live, though people would still give me weird looks or even get scared when I´d use the knife).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Well I'm not so interested in what the laws are for wherever someone is. For me and a lot of others it's no big deal. And flipping is the sport. People are doing amazing things with balisongs and having fun. Yes I know about the past, but that had to do with import laws and bs. This isn't the past. Balisong made in the USA are fine and legal. And shouldn't be treated as some dangerous threat from a 1950s law. More people probably killed with a kitchen knife than any other knife. Flipping is here to stay and awesome knives are being built. And I for 1 really dig Spydercos and want a knife that can flip from Spyderco. Why can't this be where everyone can see and talk about it. It's not restricted item for me and a lot of others.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:24 am
Well I'm not so interested in what the laws are for wherever someone is. For me and a lot of others it's no big deal. And flipping is the sport. People are doing amazing things with balisongs and having fun. Yes I know about the past, but that had to do with import laws and bs. This isn't the past. Balisong made in the USA are fine and legal. And shouldn't be treated as some dangerous threat from a 1950s law. More people probably killed with a kitchen knife than any other knife. Flipping is here to stay and awesome knives are being built. And I for 1 really dig Spydercos and want a knife that can flip from Spyderco. Why can't this be where everyone can see and talk about it. It's not restricted item for me and a lot of others.

Yes, your post is along the lines what I´ve asked about in my post above.
I can and will of course respect if a Balisong has to be treated as "restricted' in the context of this forum, but I don´t comprehend why so far - ?! :confused:
It is legal in some / many (?) places (for example Austria/Europe where I live), and in others not - like, as said, many other knives (due to blade length, locking/non locking...). - where is the difference?!
And I know knife laws don´t seem to follow any logic at all - but here it is particularly hard to understand: The Small Fly has an under 3.5" blade, most people will be actually SLOWER in opening it than they would be with a regular Spydie-hole folder, and technically, when it is opened, it is non-locking (unless one takes the time to engage the latch...) ?
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:56 am
marty_bill_ wrote:

Yes, your post is along the lines what I´ve asked about in my post above.
I can and will of course respect if a Balisong has to be treated as "restricted' in the context of this forum, but I don´t comprehend why so far - ?! :confused:
It is legal in some / many (?) places (for example Austria/Europe where I live), and in others not - like, as said, many other knives (due to blade length, locking/non locking...). - where is the difference?!
And I know knife laws don´t seem to follow any logic at all - but here it is particularly hard to understand: The Small Fly has an under 3.5" blade, most people will be actually SLOWER in opening it than they would be with a regular Spydie-hole folder, and technically, when it is opened, it is non-locking (unless one takes the time to engage the latch...) ?
I completely agree. What is the big deal? The other thing I want to mention is that when a balisong is open its the strongest folding knife there is. It could be thought of like a folding fixed blade. It's that stout. Nothing's competes with it. Balisongs are no more dangerous than any other. And flipping is a blast with a properly weighted and balanced balisong. Most flippers prefer 4- 4.5 in. blade. The length has everything to do with the balance and you need the longer handles for tricks. A little extra weight toward the rear of the handles also help when swinging the safe handle and bite handle around in tricks. It's all for fun and you can cut stuff. Yes I carry bandaids and use them. But trainers are also made for those afraid to bleed. Most flipping can be seen on IG and YT. It's really getting popular here and these kids are awesome to watch with live blades.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Hi, marty_bill:
Regardless of the status for you or others, it is a restricted item and needs to be discussed in the appropriate area. With that in mind, I'm moving this thread into the appropriate section of the forum.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Ok, no problem.