Autonomy 2 blade almost out of handle

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
sonofadoublegfun

Autonomy 2 blade almost out of handle

Post by sonofadoublegfun »

Hi all,

So, I picked up an Autonomy 2 at a gun show, used. I got a very nice price on it due to the amateurish "sharpening" that one of it's previous owners gave it. The edge was a disaster, so I got out my KME and fixed it up so it looks nice, and is actually sharp again. Unfortunately, I had to remove a fair amount of metal to make that happen. The edge on the tip of the knife is now about 1mm or less from protruding from the handle.

I know on some other knives (an Endura that I have had forever for example), it is possible to gently file the kick to drop the blade a hair deeper into the handle. But, since this is an automatic knife, and it uses a different mechanism, I assume that won't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dropping the blade deeper into the handle? Something that does not involve shortening the blade? Given the shape of the Handle on the Autonomy 2, I would have to remove a pretty significant portion of the blade length to "bury the tip", and I would rather not have to do that if it can be avoided.

For the record - I don't plan on doing anything until it actually protrudes, which could be a long time off, but I want to be prepared. :)

Thanks for your help,
Jamie
RustyIron

Re: Autonomy 2 blade almost out of handle

Post by RustyIron »

Grind the spine down to a place were the edge is below the handle.
sonofadoublegfun

Hey RustyIron,

Yep, I had thought of that, and ultimately I will go there if there is no other option, but that will cost me a full 1/2" of the blade (due to the shape of the handle). I was just hoping for another option before I started grinding.

Best,
Jamie
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Because of how the blade seats back into the lock when closed, I think grinding the spine is your only option here.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sonofadoublegfun

Hey Evil D,

Yeah, that is what I assumed was going to happen. I was just hoping that there was a gap in my knowledge somewhere and I could do it another way.

Oh well, I will find some way to grind the spine to make it look good and preserve as much cutting edge as possible. Maybe some kind of reverse tanto...

Thank you to you and RustyIron for responding!

Best,
Jamie