Spyderco Autonomy reassembly

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
DDK

Spyderco Autonomy reassembly

Post by DDK »

Hey! So I have been looking online to see if anyone has posted a video or any advice on the reassembly of the autonomy.. A co-worker of mine has taken his down for maintenance, and was unable to reassemble. I have assembled many auto knives but this one seems particularly challenging. Any tips on how to get this done? I have seen Sal comment stating they use a specific tool to wind the coil, however I feel like I can put the knife together without it if I have a good understanding of the steps to do so. I also have read others have managed without it, and I am pretty handy.
Evil D

Re: Spyderco Autonomy reassembly

Post by Evil D »

I managed but that was 3 years ago so I don't remember exactly, sorry. I do know that I got it put together without the spring tool thing, I remember pressing my thumb into the spring housing and turning it to get the two ends of the spring to seat into place.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DDK

Post by DDK »

Ahh, thank you sir. I believe this is the method I am currently attempting, if I have success I will update! Difficult knife to disassemble, however being h1, I don't understand why my coworker took it apart to begin with 😬
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DDK wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:47 pm
Ahh, thank you sir. I believe this is the method I am currently attempting, if I have success I will update! Difficult knife to disassemble, however being h1, I don't understand why my coworker took it apart to begin with 😬

I took mine apart to take the safety out. I had a couple times where it engaged itself in my pocket and when I pulled it to use it I found it was locked and at the worst time possible. I usually like to just see how a knife is built but this one was definitely a bit of a headache to get back together so I'm really thankful for the spring access design.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DDK

Post by DDK »

Hey Evil D, I figured I would update you on the progress. I did it! I have to admit, after I realized the correct order of reassembly, it was remarkably easy to put back together. I only wish I made a quick video to throw up here for someone's future reference in case they ended up in my position. I do however believe I may be redoing this process for him shortly in order to replace the washers in the knife.

As for the owner of the knife/my coworker, he is a flight medic, who carries the knife for emergency seat belt cutting for flights, the deployment button being so large, and given the environment I can't see him personally wanting the safety taken off. I for one can't stand any safety switches on any knife.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

https://youtu.be/y0oVib9wQpA
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

Well done
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

DDK wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:55 pm
Hey Evil D, I figured I would update you on the progress. I did it! I have to admit, after I realized the correct order of reassembly, it was remarkably easy to put back together. I only wish I made a quick video to throw up here for someone's future reference in case they ended up in my position. I do however believe I may be redoing this process for him shortly in order to replace the washers in the knife.

As for the owner of the knife/my coworker, he is a flight medic, who carries the knife for emergency seat belt cutting for flights, the deployment button being so large, and given the environment I can't see him personally wanting the safety taken off. I for one can't stand any safety switches on any knife.
My big problem has been getting the pivot to stop loosening itself since I’ve taken mine apart, can’t seem to get the loctite to do it’s job. I also prefer having the safety on it just for the pease of mind that if I fall down with the knife in my pocket that it won’t deploy by accident.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Are you thoroughly cleaning the male and female threads? What loctite are you using? Are you waiting about a day for the thread locker to cure? The pivot screws shouldn’t be loosening, there’s gotta be something going on that can be remedied…
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

Rinzler wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:56 am
Are you thoroughly cleaning the male and female threads? What loctite are you using? Are you waiting about a day for the thread locker to cure? The pivot screws shouldn’t be loosening, there’s gotta be something going on that can be remedied…
I think I just need to clean the screws better honestly, just not sure how to get any old loctite completely off.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Clean the threads with a brush then clean the threads with a rubbing alcohol soaked paper towel.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-Piece ... /204258914
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Rinzler wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:56 am
Clean the threads with a brush then clean the threads with a rubbing alcohol soaked paper towel. Do this to the male and female parts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-Piece ... /204258914