Here’s hoping the smallfly 2 is a starting point.

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Abyss_Fish

Here’s hoping the smallfly 2 is a starting point.

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I bought a custom edc bali from Russia a few months back. The idea being something practical but fun to carry. It turns out it’s not the most practical thing in the world... combination of shoddy craftsmanship and little real world testing. So I’m in the market for something just as fun but less likely to sever my fingers at random.

The spyderfly 2 appears to be, in the usual spyderco fashion, function over form. And I’m absolutely stoked. One problem, I’m not into s30v. At all really. I’m happy to make an exception on a knife this “high concept” so to speak. But I’m really hoping this model sells well enough to get some material upgrades. Or at least gets a sprint or two. Dlt or some such.

Maybe it could even get the Autonomy treatment, plain black g10 and sweet sweet lc200n...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Re: Here’s hoping the smallfly 2 is a starting point.

Post by Wartstein »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:00 am

The spyderfly 2 appears to be, in the usual spyderco fashion, function over form. And I’m absolutely stoked. One problem, I’m not into s30v. At all really. I’m happy to make an exception on a knife this “high concept” so to speak. But I’m really hoping this model sells well enough to get some material upgrades. Or at least gets a sprint or two. Dlt or some such.

Maybe it could even get the Autonomy treatment, plain black g10 and sweet sweet lc200n...
I am also thinking about getting a Smallfly 2 for the exact same reasons: I like Balisongs and think they are fun ton play with, and THIS one seems to be a practical EDC blade either, which is rare with Balisongs.

But may I ask: What do you not like in S30V? Just "bored" cause there are quite a few S30V Spydies available or for practical reasons?
I personally really like Spydercos S30V - it is a great steel for an EDC knife imho...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:46 am
But may I ask: What do you not like in S30V? Just "bored" cause there are quite a few S30V Spydies available or for practical reasons?
I personally really like Spydercos S30V - it is a great steel for an EDC knife imho...
I had some bad experiences with it at work. It tended to chip and rust on me. In the end there are a ton of other steels with similar sharpening and edge retention characteristics that preform miles ahead of it in other areas, and I’d much rather be using them.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:07 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:46 am
I had some bad experiences with it at work. It tended to chip and rust on me. In the end there are a ton of other steels with similar sharpening and edge retention characteristics that preform miles ahead of it in other areas, and I’d much rather be using them.

Thanks!
Well, I have to admit: I don´t have rust problems with almost any steels where I live (can´t rust knives in S30V even when carried IWB all the time while doing sweaty trailruns) and I have experience with some, but not too many steels.
Personally I am very happy with S30V, but there certainly might be better ones (with "similar sharpening and edge retention characteristics")that I just never tried.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)