SmallFly 2!

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
archangel

Re: SmallFly 2!

Post by archangel »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:58 am
With all due respect i think it looks like a "BaliSong converted" regular blade in a bit of a "home cooked" fashion.
It hurts my OCD when i compare it to the OG Spyderfly or Hinderer Nieves..

Yeah, I had the same thought. Looks like a regular pivot folding blade with two thin (too thin?) handles. Kinda odd....
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Posted this in another thread, but actually it fits here better:

"Endela cutting edge length, not too thick Manix 2 blade stock in ffg, looks to have a long straight section and then a lot of belly towards the tip in the edge, rather low weight pocket clip...pretty cool!

I do like to play with Balisongs from time to time (I am not good at it, but still know some tricks and figures) but never had one that would actually be practical as an EDC knife.
The SmallFly imho is!"
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

archangel wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:41 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:58 am
With all due respect i think it looks like a "BaliSong converted" regular blade in a bit of a "home cooked" fashion.
It hurts my OCD when i compare it to the OG Spyderfly or Hinderer Nieves..

Yeah, I had the same thought. Looks like a regular pivot folding blade with two thin (too thin?) handles. Kinda odd....
I do agree, the handles look a little disproportionate and I put the blame on the skeletonization of the handles. I think thats the case with the original SmallFlys too. I think aftermarket scales that cover the skeletonization would be a really nice upgrade.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's a gorgeous Bali!! 😍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

While the blade and handle dont exactly flow with each other aesthetically. I do like the functional blade shape and clip. It will be nice to have the ability to carry and use it instead of just playing with it.

The Benchmade 53 mangus was really the only other bali that ever called to me (along with any spyderco bali). I missed out on getting one. I wont miss out on one of these.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I like it and look forward to holding it in hand to feel the size.

giggity
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:17 pm
Man, I love this! I always kind of wanted one of the originals. I have mixed thoughts on the grind. The original was definitely more “ninja” but this one looks like it will function very well as an actual knife. Ultimately I think the more useful blade shape will see me actually carrying this one more than I would have the original.
Same here the blade shape is a hard sell for me, but I agree, the usefulness of the blade shape should help get it some extra pocket time.

I have a BM 32 and it manages to get a fare share, but b/c of some (pretty common) horror stores about the Ti liners breaking I am semi paranoid to carry it.

I need one of these smallfly 2s now! Even if the original blade shape looks cooler. I think most would agree. Lol
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:14 am
The Benchmade 53 mangus was really the only other bali that ever called to me (along with any spyderco bali). I missed out on getting one. I wont miss out on one of these.
I just pulled out my 53 and the blade shape is very similar ...

The Smallfly was a definite buy at $180 MSRP ... still probably is at $300. I see this becoming a classic, especially if it only has a short run.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Anyone know if there will be plans to release a trainer down the road? I guess you could always dull this one to practice with before bringing it back sharp, but it kind of hurts my soul to even suggest such a thing...
~andrew
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

toocool006 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:32 pm
Anyone know if there will be plans to release a trainer down the road? I guess you could always dull this one to practice with before bringing it back sharp, but it kind of hurts my soul to even suggest such a thing...
Just cover the edge with a few layers of masking tape, good to go!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I think they'll sell quite a few of these. It's right at an overlooked price point for a bali. Right now there's cheap sub $50 bali's that are just dangerous toys, a few acceptable models around $100, like the Bradley Kimura and Kershaw Lucha, and higher end models like the Benchmades that run from $300 on up. Spyderco quality at a price that's 2/3 of a Benchmade. Seems like a bargain that's too good to pass up.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

the more I read about and look at the smallfly 2 the more I think I need it... anyone have any clue when it drops?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
TroutCreek

Post by TroutCreek »

I was wondering the same thing. I am really excited. This will be my first quality bali! Thank you SpyderCo!
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:17 pm
the more I read about and look at the smallfly 2 the more I think I need it... anyone have any clue when it drops?

Broke out my BM 32 and have been carrying it a few days lately. All it has done is make me need this to drop soon! Lol
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Been playing with my squiddy for a few days now, so just posting here just because I’m excited all over again.

I’ve got my eye on the app! They couldn’t release any sooner!
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

So ... I am ok if this drops next week. You guys ok with that too?
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Hambone wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:26 am
So ... I am ok if this drops next week. You guys ok with that too?
works for me
Lightly insane.

Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I'd be good with that. It's getting harder and harder to be patient!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

It is available via SFO!